• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

McNabb to the Vikes ?

Jim Almquist

Why do they keep feeling the need to sign some old washed up QB?

Yeah, Cunningham's contribution to our 15-1 record in 1998 was terrible... crazy

McNabb has a lot left in the tank...he just got jammed into an unfamiliar system in DC and had a bad year. Here are some Philly stats (and what I expect in MN):

"His 4,746 pass attempts, 2,801 completions, 32,873 passing yards, and 216 TD passes are franchise records. Donovan piloted the club to more wins (92), postseason games (16) and postseason victories (9) than any other QB in team history."

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LMITOUT

• Scott K

• james_walleye

• FISHINGURU

More interesting stats.

McChunky has only had 2 complete seasons since 2003 and has been benched in 2 of his last 3 seasons for lack of performance. That is exactly the kind of mentoring that Ponder needs.

I hear all this babbling and complaining but I haven't heard one other option at QB from you guys? We need a veteran QB there isn't that many available ...DUH!

And not to pile on you guys but I did tell you T-Jack would be signed to multi year multi million dollar contract and you about laughed and belittled me out of the forums.

Well ha ha...8 MILLION Ha Ha's to be exact! grin

Let the excuses begin!!!!

Hassleback, Thygpin, Young, among others. But I guess my biggest gripe is why did we waste our first round pick on "The most NFL ready QB" in the draft, then plan on going out and getting a veteran that will want to start for a couple seasons. I havent seen the proposal, but I would assume McNabb isnt signing a 1yr contract. I think if we were planning on getting a veteran to play for a few seasons, I think someone to tighten up the leaky front line would have been a wiser choice for our first pick. But the fact they did go out and pick the most NFL ready QB in the draft, then why go after a veteran?

I think McNabb has plenty left in the tank, I think he will move this offense, considering we re-sign Rice, and find someone to block. Since it wont make any difference who is chucking the ball, since the NFL rule states when you are laying on the ground and have 3 defensive linemen on top of you within 2 seconds of the snap, it wouldnt be a completion. So it wouldnt matter if we had Tom Brady here.

I hear all this babbling and complaining but I haven't heard one other option at QB from you guys? We need a veteran QB there isn't that many available ...DUH!

And not to pile on you guys but I did tell you T-Jack would be signed to multi year multi million dollar contract and you about laughed and belittled me out of the forums.

Well ha ha...8 MILLION Ha Ha's to be exact! grin

Let the excuses begin!!!!

Dude its time to put your man crush for that scrub to rest....

If we put Ponder out there right away he will get murdered, considering our Oline. Better to give him some time to memorize that playbook and get a flavor for reading NFL defenses. McNabb was being offered a 1 yr deal, or so I thought. Whether he agrees to that and the loss in pay is another matter. Bulger, Orton, and Hasselbeck are all better options. But each would be even less likely to agree to our situation and financial terms.

If the season's in the tank by week 12-13 (and it likely will be), put Ponder out there for a few games to let him feel the speed of the game in real time. Maybe we have a more legit shot the next season then.

Oh, and please please sign Sidney. Without him we are left with only Bernard Berrian, who should have left a couple of seasons ago.

We need a veteran QB there isn't that many available ...DUH!

Really? Seem to be quite a few out there that would do the job for a year which would allow Ponder to ease into his ultimate starting spot since that's the route they appear to be taking.

If you're going to sign a do-everything veteran QB then it just further illustrates that the draft was another complete failure for the Vikings and they should have never tried to shoe-horn Ponder into their first pick. They would have been better off picking a player at a different position (name one, they have needs at everything but water boy) and then getting McJunk...which was likely the plan all along anyway because they like washed up, has-been QB's and weren't about to pass on this one.

Now what do they have? A rookie QB drafted too high, holes in other positions across the field, and another year of a geriatric soup slurper limping on and off the field. Essentially the same place they've been for the last how many years.

Welcome to Loserville USA where it's Groundhog Day, every day.

Leave it to the Vikings to pick up REX GROSSMAN's backup...a guy with recent character issues crazy

I do agree that putting Ponder into the starting role from day 1 would be a disaster. However, I think Hasselbeck would have been a better fit. He's a completely level-headed guy, who consistently had above average numbers on a team that was nothing but inconsistent. He is also a true leader. Mcflab was happy with the Eagles for a number of years, because it was all about him, while their coordinator and headcoach believed in passing the ball over 40 times a game.

For the Vikes to finish 2nd or 3rd in the division, they need to let AP carry them, and make any moves possible for an O-linemen or two. The Vikings could/should also make a play for a steady cornerback or safety, unless they plan to see Green Bay and any other team with an elite quarterback, shred them for years to come.

If the season's in the tank by week 12-13

Week 12-13? Where did you find the other 8 weeks?

Quote:

Week 12-13? Where did you find the other 8 weeks?

I am kinda hoping that there will be a QB competition in training camp, and during the preseason games. So I think just because McNabb will be coming here for a mentoring role, I dont think they need to give him the starting job! He can mentor from the bench as well!

Seemed to work for the Packers to have a 1st round QB sit behind a washed up QB for a few years.

GO Pack!

Ponder has a great head on his shoulders. He is doing everything right, that a rookie QB should be doing. He is very physical, he is football smart, along with overall smart. He has been studying the playbook since before the lock out. He is a great team leader, he has been training with some of the best NFL players during the lockout( The Manning camp, Fitz, not to mention some of our own players). This on top of him going into the draft as being most NFL ready pick. He deserves a chance to be our starter.

With all of that said, I do think he would benefit alot from holding a clipboard for a season, with playing mop up in games. I just dont think McNabb, being the Diva he is, and just getting rid of the previous diva, was our best choice for a mentor. McNabb maybe a good QB to try and win some games this year, but a mentor, he is not.

this whole veteran qb mentoring is a bunch of carp anyways. ponder just needs to witness 1st hand what goes on, listen to the plays being called, watch film, watch defenses adjust, etc etc.

what is a veteran qb gonna do? have him over for friday night study sessions?

Its official!

Quote:
Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia reports that the Redskins' trade of Donovan McNabb to the Vikings in exchange for a 2012 sixth-round pick and conditional sixth-rounder in 2013 is complete.

The (roughly) 14-hour holdup was contract parameters; McNabb needed to rework his deal and get rid of the $10 million option bonus the Redskins owed him per last November's phony extension. McNabb figures to open camp as the favorite to start for the Vikings, but the team won't wait around if the 34-year-old struggles early. Minnesota's scouting department determined before the draft that Christian Ponder was NFL-ready. It's probably a safe bet that both will start games this year, be it due to ineffectiveness or injury behind an aging offensive line that struggles in pass protection. This is a situation to avoid in fantasy football

Hasleback is gone... Rex Grossman and the rest are garbage.

Quote:
Dude its time to put your man crush for that scrub to rest....

No man crush at all. I think he's actually a pretty bad QB.

It's kind of like being a left-handed pitcher in baseball if your breathing you'll be on a team somewhere. QB is the most difficult position in sports to excel at and if you have certain tools or potential you will most likely get a shot somewhere.

Supply and demand folks.

I'm not over joyous of the McNab signing but it makes total sense from a team and business standpoint IMO>

Go Vikes!

smile

regardless of this trade or others, at least the vikings are trying to do whats best fot the team to be a winner. we may not all agree on these moves and plenty of critics will be out including me [ not an expert on football or anything else for that matter] but thats part of being a fan and the exitment of the game. good luck.

regardless of this trade or others, at least the vikings are trying to do whats best fot the team to be a winner. we may not all agree on these moves and plenty of critics will be out including me [ not an expert on football or anything else for that matter] but thats part of being a fan and the exitment of the game. good luck.

I do think the Vikings made this move to try to win now. The problem is, there are to many other holes in the team, that we cant afford to fix. So without addressing some of those other huge holes in the team, they are throwing away money. And would be better off addressing other needs on the team first, and just went with what we had for QB with Ponder and Webb for this year. Shored up the offense line, and add a few more keys next offseason. They should have just accepted this year as a rebuilding year.

With this move the Vikes should be in the running for the Andrew Luck pick next year.

Think I'm going to become a Packer fan.

With this move the Vikes should be in the running for the Andrew Luck pick next year.

Think I'm going to become a Packer fan.

Only if you like Cheese, Beer, and Championships grin

Go Pack!

Does Webb move to another offensive skill position now? Can't hurt.

How much did McNabb get? Terms disclosed? I see this move as more of damage control. We're not looking to win a bunch of games, but we don't want to lose 12 with a green rook either. If the stars align with either QB, who knows. I just hope they didn't drop so much coin that the other holes can't be addressed.

I don't see the point to bringing in an aging veteran like McNabb on a team that needs to be thinking about the future. The way I see it, McNabb will mean seven or eight wins instead of five or six, and few or no wins after this season.

The Vikings could have signed a lesser veteran for less $$$ to give Ponder time to learn the position.

Does Webb move to another offensive skill position now? Can't hurt.

How much did McNabb get? Terms disclosed? I see this move as more of damage control. We're not looking to win a bunch of games, but we don't want to lose 12 with a green rook either. If the stars align with either QB, who knows. I just hope they didn't drop so much coin that the other holes can't be addressed.

Damage control?

KFAN had a poll on whether fans wanted him and it was running 75% no to 25% yes.

T-Junk to McJunk... playing for next year already...

bangHeadAgainstWall.gif

Glad im not a Purple fan...

This all sounds like what a lot of people said about Favre coming to Minnesota. He is too old. We don't need an aging QB. Blah blah blah blah. He seemed to do pretty good his first year here. Not so much the second year, but what can you expect from a "washed up" QB? And if anyone thinks that even for a SECOND that Ponder is a better QB RIGHT NOW than McNabb, I will gladly call you a fool. I will agree that there should be a competition for the starting job....Ponder could surprise us all. But I think there is a 99.9% chance that McNabb would beat him out for the starting job. Really, what is it going to hurt having McNabb throw the ball instead of Ponder? Everyone predicts they wouldn't win many games either way.

This all sounds like what a lot of people said about Favre coming to Minnesota. He is too old. We don't need an aging QB. Blah blah blah blah. He seemed to do pretty good his first year here. Not so much the second year, but what can you expect from a "washed up" QB? And if anyone thinks that even for a SECOND that Ponder is a better QB RIGHT NOW than McNabb, I will gladly call you a fool. I will agree that there should be a competition for the starting job....Ponder could surprise us all. But I think there is a 99.9% chance that McNabb would beat him out for the starting job. Really, what is it going to hurt having McNabb throw the ball instead of Ponder? Everyone predicts they wouldn't win many games either way.

The 2009 team was a QB away from contending for the Super Bowl when Favre signed on. Favre got that very talented veteran team to within a bone-headed INT of the Super Bowl, which Tarvaris Jackson never could/would have done.

The 2011 Vikings probably aren't going to the playoffs, much less the Super Bowl, no matter who takes snaps for them.

Plus, the Vikings drafted Ponder to be their starter for the next ten years or so: why tie up cap space on a veteran who won't make a big difference this season, and will probably not be around by the time the Vikings are good again?

Childress is endorsing the trade, so that right there has to instill LOADS of confidence...

Good luck with that.

The Vikings' player moves are absolutely mind boggling and I don't know why I'm surprised because it happens every year.

So is the team, or the future of the team better off with McNabb? Thats my question! So we will win 8 games this year instead of 6-7. Then in the end, Ponder looses out on a year of experience, we loose a draft pick, plus cap space we could have used to fill a needed hole. I have no doubt McNabb is better then Ponder right now, but what good is that going to be? We will drop a few spots in next years draft with an extra win. I can see going after McNabb if we had a solid team, and we were a veteran QB from being a good team, but the truth is, were not! Even with McNabb, we suck, and have to many holes to fill this year.