• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

McNabb to the Vikes ?

Jim Almquist

From the StarTribune:

Donovan McNabb has been tied to the Vikings in national reports throughout the offseason. And now that teams can talk trade again, the quarterback's name has surfaced in what appears to be far more than speculation.

Jason LaCanfora of the NFL Network reported on Twitter that the Vikings and Washington Redskins have parameters of a deal in place for McNabb but agreeing on financial terms with him could be tricky.

This followed an ESPN report that cited NFL sources as saying the Vikings are one of the few teams that have had trade discussions with the Redskins about McNabb. A key issue, however, would be for the Vikings to work out a restructured contract with McNabb. ESPN reports the Vikings cannot make a deal with Washington if they don't have a deal with McNabb and clearly LaCanfora is being told agreeing on the terms might be an issue.

What remains unclear is why the Vikings would trade for McNabb, who was benched twice last season by Mike Shanahan as the Redskins finished 6-10. It's clear that Shanahan isn't going to bring back McNabb and thus at some point the veteran is going to hit the open market.

The only issue would be if the Vikings are concerned the 34-year-old McNabb would sign with another team, such as Tennessee, and feel it's worth giving up a draft pick to not let that happen. The Redskins signed McNabb to a five-year contract extension that appeared to be worth $78 million last November. However, as ESPN's report points out, the only thing guaranteed was that McNabb would get an additional $3.5 million in 2010.

The contract also has a clause that enables Washington to release McNabb before the 2011 season with no more money due to him.

Many believe the Vikings will sign or trade for a veteran quarterback to help ease the transition of first-round pick Christian Ponder, especially since the rookie did not get the benefit of the offseason program. However, there are different opinions on who would be a good fit to play in front of Ponder for a short period before the rookie was ready.

Another name that emerged early in the offseason was Dolphins free-agent quarterback Tyler Thigpen. There are about six teams interested in Thigpen and the Vikings are believed to be one of them.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LMITOUT

• Scott K

• james_walleye

• FISHINGURU

Because the market for QB's and particularly QB's with expierence is very limited. I want Tom Brady or Peyton Manning too but I think there are spoken for.

T Jack is reportedly going to team up with Bevel in Seattle so we need some veteran influence at quarterback I guess. Obviously Webb doesn't have the confidence of the coaches if they're looking at McNabb.

Swapping T-Junk for McJunk? Good luck with that.

I thought T-Junk was bad, but I'd rather have him over McJunk.

And if Rice won't stay unless he has a veteran QB throwing to him, I say send his dead rear-end and bad hip down the road too.

I feel bad for you if you'd rather have Junkson over McNub, although they are both stains, McNub is less of a stain.

I'd absolutely love to get McNabb. Having a veteran QB show our disaster of a 1st round pick the tricks of the trade would be great. Donovan has always been underappreciated, but is a solid option. He was a poor fit in Washington last year, especially with Shannahan doing the power play thing. For us, especially having a first year head coach, having a solid veteran QB would be great. I'm just curious how we make him fit with us already being over the cap.

I'd absolutely love to get McNabb. Having a veteran QB show our disaster of a 1st round pick the tricks of the trade would be great. Donovan has always been underappreciated, but is a solid option. He was a poor fit in Washington last year, especially with Shannahan doing the power play thing. For us, especially having a first year head coach, having a solid veteran QB would be great. I'm just curious how we make him fit with us already being over the cap.

Disaster of a 1st round pick?? Lol. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't mean to phrase it that way......

Well, the only reason I say that, is that I think they panicked at that point. He would have been available in the second, and possibly third round. They should have traded down, and stacked picks for next year, or picked up a few other picks later in the draft. Just wasn't a good move IMO.

Where the cap sits right now means nothing, wait until they are done doing cuts and redoing contracts.

Only good thing about getting Mcnub is Rice would probably rather have him be QB then a rookie.

Ponder would of never made it out of the first round this draft...sorry

NOOOO!!!!!

Rather have T-Jack back then Mcnabb. He's done just like Favre

Tyler Thigpen?

Seattle in a bidding war with MN for Rice?

Jackson to Rice....TOUCHDOWN!!!!!

wink

Quote:
Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reports the Redskins have agreed to send McNabb to Minnesota for a sixth-round pick in 2012 and a conditional sixth-round pick in 2013. Omar Kelly of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel also reports that the two teams have reached an agreement, with the compensation being a late-round pick.

The only remaining sticking point is McNabb’s willingness to restructure his contract. Glazer reports that McNabb would receive far less compensation than the $12.5 million he was due to receive in Washington.

If it happens, McNabb’s one-year career with the Redskins will end with a clumsy thud. He started 13 games, and he threw 14 touchdown passes, 15 interceptions. He was benched during the closing minutes of a Halloween loss to the Lions. Later, the Redskins sat him down behind Rex Grossman for the final three games of the season.

So is Kluwe keeping #5? Maybe he'll get some Campbells Chunky Soup in trade for the number. grin

Breaking news!

Steve Hutchinson, Ryan Longwell, and Jared Allen are heading to Washington to beg the Redskins NOT to trade McNabb to the Vikings.

grin

Breaking news!

Steve Hutchinson, Ryan Longwell, and Jared Allen are heading to Washington to beg the Redskins NOT to trade McNabb to the Vikings.

grin

Now THAT was funny.

Vikes are looking at taking McNabb as a one year gap filler to get Ponder ready for next year. Not a lot of short term QBs on the market.

Seattle thinks T-Jackson is the answer, I think they are sand bagging for A. Luck in next years draft. Only possible explanation grin

Ponder doesn't need a one year gap filler. If he has what it takes he can go right away this year.

I doubt McChunky is looking for a one and done contract at his age with a new team and new coaching staff with no depth at WR.

Ponder doesn't need a one year gap filler. If he has what it takes he can go right away this year.

I doubt McChunky is looking for a one and done contract at his age with a new team and new coaching staff with no depth at WR.

Most NFL teams like to give their rookie QBs one year to ease into the NFL, for the most part it is a standard practice.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I can't see giving up two 6th round picks and a negotiation with McNabb when we could give much less or wait until he gets dropped then negotiate

Quote:
The Vikings and Donovan McNabb have reportedly agreed on contract terms, but the trade is on hiatus while the sides resolve a personal issue.

We forgot just how much of an absolute diva McNabb can be. He was reportedly concerned Tuesday night about "how the Vikings' side of the situation was handled." He may have been Minnesota's fallback plan to Tyler Thigpen, which can't be easy on the old ego. With the proper amount of kowtowing, the Vikings are ultimately expected to assuage McNabb.

Well if any team knows how to handle a diva QB, it will be the Vikings, since they had one on the roster the last few years.

I'm not a huge McNabb fan either but Ponder will get killed out there until they address the o-line. Favre couldn't run on his bumb ankle and the line couldn't protect him last year.

Hutch may be better this after surgery (shoulder?) but the o-line is mediocre at best and the team won't improve until that is addressed.

They have the best RB in the NFL, they need to improve the line so they can run the ball.

Why do they keep feeling the need to sign some old washed up QB?

It's the Minnesota way ---and I say that as a Viking fan. Sometimes it works OK, other's not so much. Hopefully MCJunk is just a 1 year band aid before Ponder comes in next year/late this year. Delaying investing in the future does not pay off in the NFL. I'm sure there are 5-6 I forgot to include below.

warren-moon.jpg

randall-cunningham.jpg

jeff-george.jpg

jim-mcmahon.jpg

brett-favre-vikings.jpg

Looks like McNabb in purple is all over but the formalities now...

Does this make our play for Rice stronger since he can either get tosses from McNabb or T-Jack? It would appear we have many more pieces in place than Seattle which might help keep Rice here... On the other hand, money talks, and we might be outbid.