• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Island/sandbar camping on the river.

hovermn

I'm curious if it's legal to camp on islands and sandbars on the Mississippi river on the section between St. Anthony Falls and St. Cloud. Any regs? I saw that Durham island is closed until the 15th of July, but can't find anymore information.

I may be wrong about this but I believe all the islands between the St Cloud dam and the St. Cloud country club are not privatly owned. I do know there is a exalent camping spot on the boyscout island just northeast of the country club.

there are some islands by Otsego that are considered wildlife refuges and are closed to people(sherburne county controled) but the rest I believe are okay to use. the only other place I see as a possible issue is in the area by the nuke plant in monticello. there is a island there where the water goes around it on the one side and into the plant and then exits at the discharge area. check with each county along the section you are interested in they may know if you can use them or not.

Over the years I've talked to a number of folks that were doing canoe trips headed for New Orleans, they just parked on any island that didn't have NT signs.

• 6 years later...

I've not camped on any of them in St Cloud, but I have many places elsewhere, and I've never had a problem.  Look for trespassing signs, of course, but absent those, I think you're OK.  Maybe send an email to the DNR...they usually respond pretty quickly.