• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Se MN River & Stream Fishing Reports

I'm heading to the in-laws in Stewartville this weekend and was wondering if there is any good fishing in the Root River there?

There is a small stretch of designated trout stream not too far dowstream from Stewartville--if you hit that, or go farther to the longer stretches of designated trout stream on the Root east of Spring Valley you will need a trout stamp, if you don't already have one.

As for the fork of the Root right in and around Stewartville, I've heard of people catching smallmouth, sucker, and things of that sort, although I've never fished that far up myself.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

I wanted to do a fishing float trip on he North Fork of the Zumbro from Mazeppa downstream to the main river and Zumbro Falls. Is this section canoeable? Any smallmouth to be had in the North Fork?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

I headed up to the bluff country for the last of the 2011 trout season. I started the day on a small stream I've fished many times, and caught some nice wild brown trout, including this 15":

full-3973-13017-septemberoctober2011fish

After that stream, I went off the beaten path and hit a small headwater stream I'd never fished before, having heard it contained wild brook trout. I found the spring, and started up it with spinning gear and artificials, hoping the brookies, if they were there, were not in the mood for live bait.

My first cast with a small Rapala got hit not once, but twice, although neither fish stayed on. That was a good sign, and my second cast produced this:

full-3973-13018-septemberoctober2011fish

That was a good start, and it continued for the next hour, as I probably caught more brookies in that time than I have in the last fifteen years. Here are a couple more of them:

full-3973-13021-septemberoctober2011fish

full-3973-13023-septemberoctober2011fish

A good way to close the season, that's for sure. laugh

congrats, love the trout!! awesome fish to catch. can't wait for steelheading in april!!!

• 6 months later...

Stream conditions are still relatively low for this time of year. Fish are very active however, with plenty of every species to be caught. The prime of the caddis hatches took place the last two weeks, and have started to come to an end. You will still find fish rising to BWO, midges and the occasional late caddis or hendrickson.

I've started to see the first signs of some of the terrestrials coming out. Beatles and a few grass hoppers have been sighted.

My best luck lately has been found in fast water with common nymphs. #14 Pheasant tails have been #1, with #16-18 copper johns a close second. My favorite combo has been a tandem nymph with the lead fly being a beadhead pattern, and the trailer a lighter fly to ride a little higher in the water column.

If you want to fish dries, go small. Size 16-18 will get you fish. Anything smaller will get ignored more often than not. Keep the dries in the box if you have any wind at all though. They shut down quick once that wind starts blowing.

One other note is that this will likely be the last week we have before the parsnip starts to come up. Streamside vegetation is still manageable making those small brookie streams very fishable. We have some much needed rain in the forecast almost every day this week. The best and easiest action will be had when those streams are a little stained.

Got out again today and fished a small wild brown trout stream. Lots of fish seen, and a few brought to hand. Lots of midges, with some light BWO and caddis action. Griffiths gnats and Adams were successful.

Redhorse seem to be getting pretty hot and heavy in the Root system. If you get a chance to get down to the river you will surely be able to hook into a few of those guys.

Streams are high, and pretty stained. Doesn't appear that the rain showers this evening are going to help anything either.

However, the fishing was fantastic and quite a few "above average" fish came out to play today. Streamers seemed to be the most productive. Lots of fish still being found in riffles and were taking on nymphs. Some fish rising, but they were few and far between.

My advice would be to find smaller streams and fish nearest the headwaters for better clarity. If you do fish a larger creek keep moving if you're not finding them where you usually do. Look for any structure that will break the current. Fish will be stacked in those areas right now. Bring the flashy stuff!

Anyone mind telling me how high the cannon river is around Cannon Falls, MN? Hows the panfish action?

Went out and fished local streams today with great success. Browns were hitting on a nightcrawler under cut banks on a consistent basis. Water is high and muddy, easy to get a nice position on the bank without spooking the fish. Now is a great time to get out and fish trout. If you are unaware of trout streams in the area, visit the link below.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/trout_streams/south/map_all.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

Stream conditions as of 5/27/12 - High and Muddy seems to be the going trend today. After a long drive through SE Minnesota today with streams including Root, Zumbro, Whitewater, and many tributaries of each, the conclusion is that they need a few days to simmer down. Water levels aren't much a problem on the Root or Zumbro, but they are chocolate milk and the bite is poor from the few reports I gathered.

If you do want to take advantage of the long weekend, find yourself some small, short tributaries, and fish further upstream than you normally would. Be forewarned: Bring deet and wear pants and long sleeves if possible. Black flies, and wild parsnip are going strong now in many places.

How bout now? I want to head down there this wknd...thanks in advance for any updates on water levels and clarity!

i look for small feeder streams that make a clear/clean water intersectiuon, sometimes fish wait it the murky to ambush bait fish.

All the streams down here in are good condition. Some will be low, some might carry a slight stain, but all will be fishable.

I had a function to attend in Preston yesterday, so I stayed over night and hit a couple of headwater streams this morning.

I don't know how much rain Fillmore County got in the last week or so, but the water had been quite high not too long ago. As of this morning it was just a little higher than normal, and the water still slightly stained. Very good for trout fishing, in other words. cool

I caught a lot of nice Browns this morning; here are a 14" and 15.5" fish:

full-3973-21161-6_615brown.jpg

full-3973-21162-6_614brown.jpg

I also had an audience for a bit:

full-3973-21163-creekfawna.jpg

The wild parsnip is out and blooming, and the other weeds on the bank are growing high as well, so I would not recommend wearing shorts.

I had a function to attend in Preston yesterday, so I stayed over night and hit a couple of headwater streams this morning.

I don't know how much rain Fillmore County got in the last week or so, but the water had been quite high not too long ago. As of this morning it was just a little higher than normal, and the water still slightly stained. Very good for trout fishing, in other words. cool

I caught a lot of nice Browns this morning; here are a 14" and 15.5" fish:

full-3973-21161-6_615brown.jpg

full-3973-21162-6_614brown.jpg

I also had an audience for a bit:

full-3973-21163-creekfawna.jpg

The wild parsnip is out and blooming, and the other weeds on the bank are growing high as well, so I would not recommend wearing shorts.

Wearing shorts streamside imho is never a good idea... a nice comfortable pair of convertible pants is where it's at... gives a nice barrier from ticks and nasty plants... but even then the stinging nettle can still get the best of you if you walk through a big solid patch of it.. but jumping in the stream takes care off all that quickly..

now which parsnip do people pick? I'm guessing not the parsnip with yellow heads? But what about the big purple ones? or the ones with white flowers?

• 1 month later...

So what are the streams around southeast Minnesota like after the heat?

I was going to head up there last weekend, but cutting sumac in 90+ degree heat and fishing gin-clear water didn't sound like a good use for $45 worth of gas...

Fished the Root near Simpson a bit this morning...nothing unusual out there, though the water clouded up a bit with the rain last night. Smallies were going nuts, with most being small and a few decent ones. Didn't get any sumo fish, but I'll go try again tonight and tomorrow.

So what are the streams around southeast Minnesota like after the heat?

I was going to head up there last weekend, but cutting sumac in 90+ degree heat and fishing gin-clear water didn't sound like a good use for $45 worth of gas...

Fishing is fine.. just have to be selective in times you go out.. 5-9am and 6-9pm are the times for your best fishing during this time of the year.. fish will be right up in the riffles where the water is cold and well oxygenated.. downstream from springs will be the coldest spots on the stream.. water around here exits the earth a cool and crisp 47*

• 2 weeks later...

Finally some rain in the bluff country!

With the cooler temps forecast for Friday and Saturday I am going to come up to Fillmore County and cut some sumac. I don't know how much runoff there was, but I'm hoping it raised the streams a little while I am in the area...

I had someone out yesterday teaching them how to fly fish on a popular stream in Filmore county and the water did come up little bit. However, like most of the storms we have had lately, the rainfall was heavy in certain areas, while others saw considerably less. The fish seemed to stay pretty active well into the heat of the afternoon. Filmore county streams should all be in fantastic shape this weekend. Good luck to you!

Yeah I was reading the St. Charles area got like 3" of rain... i'd imagine maybe the WW watershed may be a little chocolatey

The DNR's stream report says that as of yesterday, the rain had not affected stream conditions in southeast Minnesota at all, and describes area streams as "low and clear": http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/areas/fisheries/lanesboro/stream_conditions.html

With very dry conditions, even an inch or two of rain does not create much runoff, as most of the water goes right in to the parched soil.

No matter to me: I'm heading up tomorrow, and will pull some trout out of that gin-clear water.

The rain did not much affect the streams I hit, if it affected them at all. The water in both headwater creeks was low and very clear.

The first was a slower stream with lots of deep pools; fishing that was difficult, as most of those pools were choked with weeds. The fish were there, and willing, but getting at them was difficult.

I moved to a second stream nearby that had faster water and more rock bottom, and that had much less weed growth. The trout were hitting well, too, and that was after 9:00 AM by the time I got there. I released a couple of 15" Browns, and kept some smaller ones to grill.

The larger streams that are more dependent on run-off may or may not be in bad shape (Iowa has stopped stocking some of their trout streams until the weather cools off), but the small spring-fed streams I was on seemed fine, and the fish were in good shape.

• 3 weeks later...

Water temps on most of the streams right now are great. Most streams are still low and clear though. You're best luck is still going to be mornings and evenings. Hopper/Dropper setups seem to be the afternoon trick. With just over a month left in the season, get out and take advantage of the beautiful weather while you can.

Hatching right now:

Tricos - Early - Mid Mornings are still producing good spinner falls. Look for this hatch to subside soon.

Blue Wing Olives - Starting to come off in decent amounts, size 16-18's.

Grasshoppers - Abundant, fish the grassy banks and you should have success

• The topic was unpinned