• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Smallies - Mille Lacs Lake Smallmouth Bass Fishing

Turbodog

Anyone going to be looking for smallies this weekend? What are your thoughts on where they might be and what lures will your throw at em?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bassfshin24

• RumRiverRat

• BronzeBrother

• Superduty

Ill be headin up there for a nice 5 day weekend. I'll be fishin mostly out of Isle bay but a little on the Northeast side as well. I saw that water temps are around 52 right now so im guessing by the weekend they could be a few degrees warmer. Im thinking a lot of the smallies are going to be starting to move up shallow into spawning areas. Ill be hitting a lot shallow rocks throwing search baits like lipless cranks and spinnerbaits. But who knows...mille lacs can be a weird lake sometimes. I'll definitely have a tube, grub, and senko tied on as well. Good luck out there.

We caught two by accident that were nice on three mile reef Friday night in 8 fow in rocks on leaches. One was about three lbs and both sides were real scraped up, lots of scales missing. Water then was 48.5 .

I was slip bobbering some reefs for 'eyes and ran into a lot of smallies this past sunday. I had to switch reefs to get away from them once. They were aggressive enough to hit the bobber! I think we could have absolutely whacked 'em with bass tackle had the law allowed.

How deep of water were you in Superduty? And which reef smile Just kidding you dont need to give me that info. Ill be out Saturday searchin for them.

We weren't fishing any deeper than 6 to 8 feet. Main lake. I won't name any spots but who knows if that matters. You know how smallies are. Here today. Gone tomorrow! wink

Haha...thats why I love fishing for them. Always a challenge to find them on Mille Lacs. I have a couple of great rock bars on the NE side of the lake that I know they are on. Now I just hope this weather cooperates this weekend! Looking like Thunderstorms Friday-Monday

It was cold and raining when we found them last Sunday. Good luck. I'd like to hear a report!

Would you guys fish slow this weekend like a tube or grub or fish fast with a Rtrap -swimbait- spinnerbait?

We caught a lot cranking the 5-8 fow on the E side with shad raps at 1.7mph, so they will chase...

Starting shallow, if the water temps are still in the low 50's this weekend we will start with soft/hard jerkbaits. If that don't work we have some other Spring presentations that are usually solid. Pumped up and ready to rock and roll. Heard the slot walleyes are picking up to so either way it will be fun.

Would you guys fish slow this weekend like a tube or grub or fish fast with a Rtrap -swimbait- spinnerbait?

I NEVER start out fishing slow for smallies. Cold water is made for jerkbaits. Fish fast until you find them. They will at least show themselves even if they won't commit to your bait.

I've been scheming all week... Saturday morning from 7-11 I'm dragging leeches on a rig for 'eyes, then spending the middle part of the day searching for smallies and doing some casting, then hanging some leeches from a slip bobber in the evening. 14 hours on the boat bouncing around in waves...sounds perfect!!

I NEVER start out fishing slow for smallies. Cold water is made for jerkbaits. Fish fast until you find them. They will at least show themselves even if they won't commit to your bait.

This man speaks the truth.

Opening morning trophy for my 12 year old son!!! What a way to start the season. First fish too...

30a1fd03.jpg

6lb - 3oz

Site Admin: I know this isn't a natural setting for a picture of the fish. Sorry about that hopefully you will leave this pic on here. This is my son's first bass opener on the pond so I wanted to share this with you guys, as a very proud father...

Thats an awesome fish!!! I dont see a thing wrong with posting that pic. I catch and release 99.99% of all the fish i catch - but I sure as heck would keep that one...sons first fish, first day out, over 6 pounds...I mean it cant get much better than that for a great memory - congrats!!

Nice Fish.

Going on the wall?

Yep she is sitting at the taxidermy as we speak. Thanks.

Thats an awesome fish!!! I dont see a thing wrong with posting that pic. I catch and release 99.99% of all the fish i catch - but I sure as heck would keep that one...sons first fish, first day out, over 6 pounds...I mean it cant get much better than that for a great memory - congrats!!

Thanks, I thank my Dad and grandpa for instilling these skills to create such an awesome memory. It is ironic that my oldest son who is 21 now caught his trophy Smallie when he was 12 just like my youngest son is now. And it was only about a 100 yards apart between these twos big bass. But years apart. Kind of gives me a little chill. In a good way. That made my entire weekend, heck my year!!!

Water temps ranging from

52 out in the main body of water to 60 in the back bays

I'm sure you know, but smallies tend to spawn within yards/feet of where they were hatched from, and also on the same nest site from year to year when it's their turn to do so. So, it's no coincidence that there are big fish in the same stretch of lake during the prespawn/ spawn time even that many years apart. Definitely a great way to start the year!

My son also caught a piggie smallie on Sunday. It was a hair short of 22" and 6.5#. I thought for a while to keep it for the wall but decided to have a replica made and returned it to the water. He still has the smile on his face.full-32578-9289-mail.jpg

My son also caught a piggie smallie on Sunday. It was a hair short of 22" and 6.5#. I thought for a while to keep it for the wall but decided to have a replica made and returned it to the water. He still has the smile on his face.full-32578-9289-mail.jpg

Awesome, awesome, awesome. It's a great feeling when our kids get a trophy isn't it???

Jake1987,

Nice photo! That is a pig! I'm hoping to bring my 13 yr old son up there for his first time if we can fit it into his busy schedule. crazy

Nels

Was out Monday. Perfect day! 62 surface temp in morning, 75 at the end of the day basically no wind. Started at Cove Bay worked my way east to twin bays. Probably caught 50 smallies and almost 1 muskie. Smallies generally pre spawn, except on east side. I found fish on bed and actively spawning on the east side. Calm conditions made fish easy to see, but harder to catch. Seemed liked they really liked the bug hatch! Did well with grubs, senkos (for the cruisers) and jigs and minnows for everything else. Generally did best under 5 fow close to shore. Best fish around 20in (5 or 6) the rest 16 to 18. First day I was really able to see what Mille Lacs has to offer. If only the bigger fish bit....