• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing Sunglasses

anchor man

I recently had my eyes lasered and have thrown my prescription shades away for good. Now that my options are endless, does anyone have any recommendations for decent quality polarized sunglasses in the $20-$50 range? They'll be used for fishing and general purpose.

Thanks

I can get in my answer quick before people start upselling you on costas and oakleys.

I got a pair of fish eyes at the mountain store for $19.99, very clear lenses good polarization so far, and pretty darn stylish.

Guys will tell you that only the Costa and Oakleys work........ That being said I use the 14.99 variety from a large store and several times I borrow them to those who use the "better" brands. Plus they are cheap to replace....

The IGOG Explorer Pro's are very good, less than $50. Good wrap around protection to protect your eyes from peripheral light, and the polarization works well. They come in amber and dark Grey lens's, and blue plate shielded lenses. Gander has them on the racks, as do most sporting goods stores.

I just ordered a pair of Bolle polarized Recoils through amazon. I've always used the cheapies, but figured I spend enough time on the water I may as well have a decent pair. They're arriving this week and I'm using them for the Opener, so I'll give an updated report.

However, if you see a pair you like, might be worth checking out amazon. A lot cheaper if you don't mind ordering online.

Look on REI and Campmor... last i knew they were still having clearences on Native and Smith sunglasses.. can scoop up a pair of $100+ shades for under $50

Bolle's are great. They give you an incredible crisp, clear view. I almost like them more than my Ray Ban Big Daddy's. I've had my eyes done, too, and all I can say is don't skimp on sunglasses.

Get a good pair with UV protectant, glare guard and polarization. It's especially important now that you've had your eyes done. You'll know the difference a few years down the road...that from the Mayo Doctor who did my eyes. Just my 2c

for the price range I would suggest Fly Fisherman but I recommend doing it right and purchase some good sunglasses like the new Costa 582, you only have one set of eyes and you need to protect your eyes from the uv rays and such, the cheaper glasses do nothing but amplify the harmful rays.

mr

I just bought a pair of Bolles myself and love them. Got them from mail order sports place here in town. Great price.

berkley makes a polarized sunglass line that is sold at walmart for less than 5 dollars. i really like them and honestly can't tell the difference between the optical qualities of them and oaklies. i like the ones with amber lenses.

berkley makes a polarized sunglass line that is sold at walmart for less than 5 dollars. i really like them and honestly can't tell the difference between the optical qualities of them and oaklies. i like the ones with amber lenses.

absolutely horrible glasses... i have a pair that i have used once.. sun glaring off the water came back in purple/blue.. they were useless.. If the OP is just looking for a $20 pair of "these will do" shades.. Islander Eyes w/ amber lenses can't be beat.. you can find them at FF

Bolle's for everyday use, Maui Jim's for the boat/golfing. I used cheap iGog's for a long time and the nicer ones definitely are alot clearer/crisper. Get the best you can afford for your budget.

Fish Gillz all the way. $50 a pair and they come with a case and cleaning cloth. Awesome polarized glasses for the money! Plus, they float!

check out smith glasses....go to their site...best nonscratch glasses I've ever owned....stylish and polarized

I have used Igogs for the last 4 seasons, not sure of model. Thay cost me under $50. Good polarization and eye feel fresh after a day on the water.

Don't let anyone tell you that you will get better eye protection from a more expensive pair of sunglasses it just not true. You can get 100% uva and uvb protection form $20 sunglasses they are all rated/tested the same way.

That being said comfort and durability will get better in more expensive glasses( most of the time). I feel oakley's and such are a waste of money for what you get IMHO.

Don't let anyone tell you that you will get better eye protection from a more expensive pair of sunglasses it just not true. You can get 100% uva and uvb protection form $20 sunglasses they are all rated/tested the same way.

Travler, I agree, as my last paragraph tried to explain (poorly I guess) with comfort. That statement was just about protection of the suns harmful rays.

In the end I felt no differant (eye strain) wearing my Igogs(<$50) than where by buddies oakleys($250), just my expierances I have had in the past.

There are good options in all price ranges, just depends on your preferance of what qualities you want. But always get the max uv protection reguardless of what brand or price.

I haven't tried Igoggs, but 50 bucks is at least getting out of the cheap plastic ones. Hey, if they work for ya...

I just broke my Costas yesterday (ouch!) by stupidly putting them where I shouldn't have for a sec:( I go years without doing that, and then....

So no I'm in the market. I'll send the Costas in for repair, as that will get me a backup pair for (I hope) around 75.00. But I think I'll give Maui Jims a go this time around. I read lots of good things about them.

I'll never buy anything other than costas. Wore cheap sunglasses for years than bought a pair of costas and will never turn back. I have two pairs of them now. But i agree with the others. You can get a decent pair of sunglasses for under $50. Just go check out the moutain or the big C store and someone should be able to get ya into a good pair.

While we're on the subject, does anyone know of a good pair of sunglasses that has a magnifying section on them, like a bifocal? I've found some cheap ones, but they're pretty poor quality. I'm tired of always having to dig out the "cheaters" (if I can even find them) when I have to do close up stuff like tying on a new lure.

Man, it's rough getting older.

Amen Brother. Do they even make such a thing? I'd buy, buy, buy.

While we're on the subject, does anyone know of a good pair of sunglasses that has a magnifying section on them, like a bifocal? I've found some cheap ones, but they're pretty poor quality. I'm tired of always having to dig out the "cheaters" (if I can even find them) when I have to do close up stuff like tying on a new lure.

Might be kind of klunky or unworkable for your use, but could you install a magnifying glass in your boat? I'm thinking something like you'd see on a fly-tying bench...

You guys that can't tell the difference between cheap and quality sunglasses must already have messed up vision.

eskay, look at the Fish Eyes site, they have a section of glasses with readers/knot tying lenses like a bifocal

I love my typhoon sunglasses. They are mid-range $40-60 but have a lifetime warranty.

I used to be a cheapie guy, got 1-2 pairs a year due to scratching and falling apart. About 5 years ago got a pair of H3O's and after years of abuse still going strong and unscratched. Did have to have the nose pieces replaced last year, to my surprise still covered under warrenty, they sent me a new set within a few days. Best $109 I have spent and in the long run has saved me money over buying a couple $20 pairs a year.

You guys that can't tell the difference between cheap and quality sunglasses must already have messed up vision.

Amen to that suncruiser234!!! FYI on the Oakleys and the lenses in their glasses...... THEY ARE NOT ALL POLARIZED!!! Oakley offers many versions of sun lenses with the rainbow of mirror colors but you must specify polarized lenses and pay the up charge. So it is safe to say that even the cheapest polarized wally world sunglasses will allow you to see through the water better than some of the most expensive Oakleys. Oh yeah and by the way since I am in the business Kaenon and Costa Del Mar are the only two manufacturers that I will wear, with Kaenon being the first choice with the SR91 lenses 100% polarized, light weight Trivex type material and virtually distortion free. The Costa's are second choice due to the fact that they are polarized glass lenses very resist scratches but are also twice as heavy as the Kaenons.

Costa has glasses with bifocals built into them. Got my father a pair of them a few years ago for musky fishing. He was skeptical at first. Thinking that the bifocal section would get in the way of seeing figure 8s since your looking down, but he became a believer after the first time. Stating that it didn't take long at all to get used to bifocals in the sunglasses.