• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How many in a good day???

Whenever I see posts about how many fish some guys catch per day, I find myself wondering how many guys fishing and how may hours? I usually fish alone on the Rainy, so I do not approach 100+ fish per day in 6-8 hours. I have fished, what I consider, great fishing on the Rainy and very slow fishing as well so I have seen it both ways.

Just wondering what some of you experience per guy per hour? What are some of your best days?

Good luck to all this season!

I consider a good day 40-50 fish a guy a day. A great day is 75-100 fish in a day. Those days are days I dont use minnows but plastics all day. Its only happened to me twice but man were those 2 awesome days.

I also consider a day with fish over 31" to be a great day as well.

One fish in the boat and I don't care who catches it makes for a decent day, one big fish makes for an awesome day. Fishing can stink but hey could be pounding holes in the ice instead.

As for numbers I have seen 100 fish days but for the most part I tend to see 30 a day if we hit the afternoon hard as my boat is always acnhored for Sturgeon in the AM.

Everyones idea of a "good day" of fishing is very different. All depends on what your individual expectations are when you leave shore as long as your realistic with yourself based on the time of year and the area you are going to be fishing. I have had "good days" where I only managed to scrape up 10 fish all day but I have aslo been in situations on the Ontario side of LOW where 13 of us caught over a 1000 walleye in 4 1/2 hours!!! All depends... At any rate a good day of fishings starts with good friends, family, a pet or just yourself as long as your enjoying yourself and the outdoors, fish are just a bonus IMO!!!

We(3 guys) typically fish from sunup to a hour or so before dark. Over the years we think a good day as far as numbers is 15-25 per person. We have only had one day where we boated over 120, that is a great day.

Although last year we did not get into the numbers of some, we still boat 50-60 a day but we where almost 50/50 with fish over 6lbs, that was better than a great day.

3 guys, 3days 150 total is a good trip. But I would take 30 over 25"s any day over a 150 total! Its a about the hogs for me! Its great to see everyones posts and expectations! City

...I still want to catch a big one. I have had lots of big walleyes in the boat yet I have to catch a big walleye myself. Clients catch big walleye, buddies catch big walleye but yet I have a hard time connecting with the big ones. The day I a catch one fish over 26 will be a great day! Maybe this spring.

One day in particular that I thought was great.

3 guys, about 40 fish, 15 over 26". Numbers weren't that spectacular but the number of big fish was pretty good I thought.

A good day is when you get on the river and the Little fork hasn't busted loose and you know the EYES are just waiting for you to get that jig down in the kill zone. Happy hunting to everyone that are about to have another great spring rainy river experience. Be safe and enjoy the memories.

Hey there, well for me, if you are talking numbers, a good day on the Rainy for me was 25 or so per person, four of us. But as I've heard said before, any day Fishing, especially the Rainy during Pre-Spawn, is a Great Day!!! Good luck to all!

Johny, the bigger the bait the bigger the fish you catch. When I go after 25"+ eye's I use 6"+ sucker minnows with a stinger. Give it a try.

I like a glow white jig head with red eyes, a white or glow paddle tail in the 4" range and at times tip with a rainbow. The biggest fish I have caught up there have come off this combo.

Oh I have big baits and big fish in the boat but they just don't like my hand or rod or something and always pass for the other guy in the boat. Plus poeple I fish with have fun watching me give arse chewings/temper tantrums all day when I am the one not hooking up. Tommorow I am hitting the river solo to test out some new gear, that will fool em...watch me come home skunked. laugh

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.