• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Reminders if your coming up.

Just want to give the reminder if your coming up on some regulations because you will get checked!!!

Your fishing license and keep it handy; you will get checked!!!

Your boat registration make sure its current.

PFD's and the throw type for boats 16' and over.

Fresh water if you want to keep your minnows. (All water gets drained from infested waters).

Lights for the boat working for after sunset.

And a good ruler that you can butt the nose of the fish up to the end.

And a sober driver!!!

Good Luck to all and have a safe and excellent spring Rainy River trip.

PFD's and the throw type for boats 16' and over

First and only ticket I ever got. Two years ago, Rainy River getting checked by the wardens when I realized my throwable was still serving as a seat in my deerstand. blush

Great post Scraps. We could all use a little refresher of the rules every once in a while

especially at the beginning of the season!! need to make a checklist and put in the boat at the end of the season for things to remember for the first trip of the season

Let's not forget some courtesy at the landings. Helping someone launch or land a boat (especially those fishing alone) or giving a ride from the parking area means a lot.

My 5 years going up have been great, but I've heard the horror stories of the past when the landings get real busy and people start acting like Richards.

One more reg to keep in mind. Boats 16' or mor need a working horn or whistle. They checked mine one year an luckily it worked. It has since quit working. I now have a hand held air horn to comply.

One more item. Be aware that the border line is not necessarily in the middle of the river. It is based on the high water marks from each side and moves back and forth continually depending on your location and the river banks on each side of the border. When in doubt, error on the safe side and don't tempt fate. The penalties can be steep! The Canandian MNR has no mercy for live bait, lack of license, and especially alcohol in the boat.

It can be tempting to be in a drift line of boats that are wandering over to the north and think that if you're closer to the border than the next guy that you're safe. Don't believe it.... I've watched them pull right in on anyone, regardless of order. Again the fines can be steep!

Above all else, in the event that you are stopped and checked by either side, being prepared, being polite, and being as cooperative as possible and limiting the wise cracks, goes along way, and makes their job a lot more pleasant as well.

I think the fire extinguisher rule is for boats that are 16ft and bigger. I could be wrong tho. I keep one in my boat regardless because it is just a smart idea to have one.

One more item. Be aware that the border line is not necessarily in the middle of the river. It is based on the high water marks from each side and moves back and forth continually depending on your location and the river banks on each side of the border. When in doubt, error on the safe side and don't tempt fate. The penalties can be steep! The Canandian MNR has no mercy for live bait, lack of license, and especially alcohol in the boat.

It can be tempting to be in a drift line of boats that are wandering over to the north and think that if you're closer to the border than the next guy that you're safe. Don't believe it.... I've watched them pull right in on anyone, regardless of order. Again the fines can be steep!

Above all else, in the event that you are stopped and checked by either side, being prepared, being polite, and being as cooperative as possible and limiting the wise cracks, goes along way, and makes their job a lot more pleasant as well.

Itchy send button Bob??

I think the shoulder might be getting well enough to be able to let you net all my big fish grin.

Dean

And a sober driver!!!

I was wondering, does anyone know the laws about drinking in a boat if the boat is anchored? We're coming up sturgeon fishing during the sturgeon excursion and one or two drinks might be consumed between bites. I always thought that if the boat was anchored and the motor up and off it was ok.

Drinking in the boat on the USA side is ok, as long as the driver is not over the legal limit (same as driving a vehicle I believe).

On the Canadian side it is an absolute no no, anchored or not. In fact you can't even have it in the baot with you unless you are in transport to a camp, cabin, etc...

I was going to say that your infamos netting skills are going to be missed this year....of course I still have Todd for that job, and he's well practiced....hahaha

I bring a laser rangefinder with just to make sure as it can be misleading to the eye.

Sauger count as your 2 fish/walleye limit. 19.5" is a throw back not a keeper.

Although I have never fished the Rainy, I would remind anyone who has a State of Minnesota Permit to Carry(Concealed permit) to NOT get caught on the Canadian side with a handgun. I'm sure the Canadian CO or OPP would not be very impressed.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Scraps, for someone who has only posted 16 times since 2003, you are a person of few but very well spoken words! Thanks for the good reminders! wink

Quote:
I bring a laser rangefinder with just to make sure as it can be misleading to the eye.

How does the range finder help? Is the border at the center of the river from waterline on each shore? If so thats good advice and I will be bringing the Luepold RX1000 with. I am coming up on the 15-17 sturgeon fishing so I am curious.

its all a guessing game. when we got nailed 3 years ago they told us they go by a 2/3 rule. If you over 2/3 your in trouble. every one you talk to is different, but when you DO get caught, your best acting job will get your fine down. cry if you can. we started at 1,200$ and worked my way down to 600$. Shoulda kept going but i was stupid. lol another group at the hotel got picked up the next day and started at 1,200$ and worked their way down to 150$. They have the credit card machine waiting in the boat with them if you'd like to tempt fate

They where busting guys today and not just a few. It did get stupid after a few got pinched everybody would slowly creep back over the line then when a boat with a windshield would come down the river everybody would quickly scury back across the line.

As for the range finder when it gets down to brass tacks it is the center between high-water mark to high-water mark. I actually got the idea from the Canadian wardens several years ago as they ranged the Canadian shore and showed me then ranged the US shore and showed me before explaining I was right on the line. I was nice, polite and told them I really like Canada but didn't want to spend the night they let me move over to a safer location. I actually thought I was good but a slough/ grass area on the Canadian side made it look like I was closer to the state side then Canadian.

As for state wardens I was checked on the water and checked at the ramp so make sure you have everthying taken care off before heading up. The wardens at the ramp whom where different then the wardens on the water knew I was Sturgeon fishing today so you can't tell me they are not keeping close tabs.

What about horns, do they check those? I'm bringing up an 18ft boat and the horn doesn't work.

Wally world, Gander and many bait shops have the compressed air horns. Basically a can of air with a horn on top. That meets the law... then no worries for a ticket.

Good Luck!

Ken

JohnyP Thanks for the advice. I am bringing the range finder with!

The DNR checked our horn this summer and it did not work. They told us a whistle would be just fine if your horn does not work.

I have a little whistle that hangs on my steering council and one of those barge horns/air horns but to have a guide license/insurance you need to have that stuff or go to guide jail.

Now that brings another very important regulation to light that has been a hot email topic this morning. If you are using a guide on the Rainy River, Lake of the Woods or Rainy Lake make sure they have a Coast Gaurd License! You don't want to be in the boat when they check and the guide does not have one. Baudette and the I' Falls area have a bunch of really great guides with the correct documentation.

Ran into the nice guys of the north. They checked everything out in my boat and couldnt find anything wrong with us. Some of the things that they checked was Alcohol, Bait, Throw Cushing, Horn, Fire extinguisher, Fishing Lic and Fish. Everything was good and the guys were nice and curtiouse to us. The reason that they checked us was that we were boarder line on the Canada side. After using our range finder they saw we were trying to follow the rules and just gave us a nice be sure to stay on the US side. Tomorrow I am going to head over to the Canada side and get a fishing lic and bait so I dont have to worry about the hefty fine anymore.

Outdoor Dannie

If you get minnows in Canada they need to be dead to cross back to the US, but you will then have the Canadian receipt to use on the Canadian side of the river. Do you need an RABC permit to fish the Canadian side?

I asked a warden at a meeting tonight that excact question considering mine for bait deals and yes you are crossing a border and need a CANPASS RABC (Candain Remote Border Area Crossing Permit) to be fully legal.