• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Birchdale

Can anyone shed some light on what it takes to get a camping permit for Birchdale? Haven't camped there since I was about 9 years old, but would love to bring up the wheelhouse rather than try and find a hotel room.

No permit required. The land owners or caretakers are very nice in that they don't charge for camping. In return they ask that we leave it in the same condition you found it. Some people like to wipe their SH!! all over the bathroom walls. Anyone who does [PoorWordUsage] like that should have their [PoorWordUsage] kicked!!!

A wheelhouse might be dificult becase it gets pretty muddy there, but people do it.

Thanks Max, I have a layer of plastic and a second layer of carpet I put in the house when using it in less than ideal conditions...deer camp for example. I have a porta-pot in my wheelhouse, but I agree, why even use the facilities it you plan to do nothing but leave them in worse condition than you found them in.

Water is Open in front of Birchdale to about 1/2 mile west on the 22nd. Driving along the road from frontier going east the river is open in little areas all along. To get out from the Nelson Landing (Birchdale) there is about 70 feet of ice to the water. The campground still has a lot of snow in it.

Looks to be pretty cold tonight...hopefully no skim ice. Otherwise with soft spots down to frontier she should start opening up quite a bit. Would like to think someone will be fishing by Friday, if not Saturday for sure. Warmer temps coming monday with higher overnight lows as well, will be full game on starting next week.

Anybody heading up this weekend?

The wind out of the east yesterday really opened it up. There was a pickup parked at a wayside rest, inbetween frontier and birchdale yesterday, there were 3 guys and a portable(loaded with gear) looking at the steep bank going down to the river. They were contemplating "is this worth it", with the ice the way it is, it is not worth dangering your life for a fish, it will be open in no time. I guess there is always someone that has to try.

WOW! I can't believe anybody would even think about ice fishing the river that close to open water right now! Stay safe out there folks