Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

1st Please Post Your Fishing Report - Then Join the NEW - Private Fishing Report Clubs   01/24/2018

Private Fishing Report Clubs - Click Here - Post Your Fishing Report Before Joining
      1st, be sure you post a fishing report in the forums, then ask to join after you post a fishing report in your area forum. The Private Fishing Report Clubs are where folks can share private fishing information with club members who have proven they know what's going on. Fishing Report Clubs Link also in Menu above. Apply to become a member today, while it's still easy. 
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  

Jiffy Model 30 Power Auger Woes

Question

I have a 10 yr old Jiffy 8" Model 30 power auger that has given me no problems to date. It gets a tune up every 2 years and it gets used about a dozen times per year.

First, I'm no mechanic. Second, I've made a bunch of observations. Here they are: 1) The gas cap vent is wide open; 2) Gas is fresh; 3) Spark plug looks fine; 4) It starts easily and idles perfectly; 5) Problem occurs when it is both warmed up and/or running cold; 6) Problem occurs despite the choke position.

Here's the problem: When you are drilling a hole and it "switches gears" (audible difference in engine speed, i.e. going full bore) in the middle of the hole, it stalls. It then takes a few pulls to get it started again.

This happens in every hole and at the same time, just after the engine kicks into overdrive. Again, it's never done this and it is a pain!!

Any ideas? I've checked the plug but not changed it.

Thanks.

10 answers to this question

Lip RIPPER!

Mine did the same thing until I had somebody set the jets for me. Now it works great. No problems for over a year.

Your high sped idle jet screw needs adjustment.

Do this on a warm motor and if you have a friend handy have him tweek it while you drill. A minor turn should be all it will take. You will hear the difference quickly.

Be carefull not to bottom out the jet screw and damage the needle and seat.

Make sure to run fuel conditioners in your mix, either SEA-FOAM or STA-Bil.

------------------
"Ed on the Red"
Backwater Guiding Service
backwtr1@msn.com
fishingminnesota.com/ed-on-the-red/

Hey, guys thanks for the reply. I'll follow your advice. The trick now is to find some ice here in MA so I can drill a hole!! It's supposed to hit 60oF here today.

Thanks again and I'll let you know how it turns out.

OK, I have a stupid question. After coming home tonight and looking through the auger Operating Manual and Parts Guide, as well as looking at the jiffy-on-ice website, I have to ask:

Where is the jet screw?

As stated above, I am not a mechanic. Any answers to this simple question would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Thumper

Backwater. This weekend my grandson wanted to go ice fishing. I had not had my jiffy out yet and had drained it last spring. Added the gas oil mix and could not get it to start. I remembered your comment on Sea Foam, added some and in 5 or so min. it started! My guess is some residue gas on the tank screen had varnished and the foam disolved it. So even though we caught nothing had a great time thanks to your tip.

MikeR

Where do you get this Sea-Foam? I have the same problem.

Champion Auto, NAPA, Fleet Farm, most auto stores and boat dealers have it handy.

Be sure to just use the recomended amount. It won't take much to treat the fuel/oil mix.

The Sea Foam is great stuff to clean the buggers out of your car, boat, or truck carb too. Dump the rest in your tank so you can be sure to make it to the lake on time.

------------------
"Ed on the Red"
Backwater Guiding Service
backwtr1@msn.com
fishingminnesota.com/ed-on-the-red/

MikeR

Thanks Backwater, I appreciate the info you and others provide on these threads. I've been helped out many times without having to even ask the question. Mike

doramc,

I have a Jiffy Legend and tweaked up the jets this weekend. It is a 3hp 10" about 5years old so I dont know if your screws will be in the same place. On mine they are on the operator side of the carb when you are holding the auger as if you are going to drill a hole.

There are two of them, a low speed jet and a high speed jet. One is in a recessed hole and one sticks out a little. The one that is recessed appears to be the low speed one. It controls the fuel mixure at idle. To set mine I turned it all the way in so it was lightly seated and then backed it out about 1 1/4 turns. Then warmed up and ran the unit at idle and tweaked it in or out a little to get it to idle well. If you go in to far the rpms will start to increase and then it will die. If it is out to far it will just die.

For the highspeed screw I seated it and then backed it out about 3/4 turn. Then drilled and tweaked drilled and tweaked until I found the spot that gave me the good tone change and power you mentioned.