Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
jighead

Glacier vs sno- boat II

Question

jighead

Hi Guys;
I was thinking of buying the Clam Sno-Boat II. I have a few questions about it first before I buy. Does the canvas come off the plastic frame or is it permanently attached? How quickly can it be set up? I looked at one the other day At Fleet Farm and the fishing area looked pretty small. Would there be any problems with hitting the end of your longer rods on the canvas? The model that was set up at Fleet might not have been set up correctly because it looked like you really did not have all that much room to sweep your rod up for the hook set! Please let me know!

12 answers to this question

Matt D

Jighead:

I've had a Sno-Boat II for a number of years. My dad owned an original Sno-Boat when I was a kid and bought me this one as a Christmas gift some time ago. The two things they changed on the II model was the canvas (originals had nylon) and the bar that pushes the canvas out farther over your holes -- for the exact reason you asked about. The canvas is permanently attached to the sled. I fish with 30" rods and haven't really ever had a problem getting good hook sets. As far as design goes, I like the layout of some other models better; in S-B, you're fishing all your lines side by side and in deep water, you'll sometimes get lines crossed fighting a fish or with a fiesty minnow. That's not as big of a problem with some where two guys can sit and fish opposite corners. The one thing Sno-boats have going for them based on my experience though is set-up/take-down time. When I get to where I want to fish, I want to get started. When it's time to go and it's 10 below out, I don't want to have to spend 5 minutes messing with poles and folding things up. I can have mine taken down in about 20 seconds, flat as a pancake. That's what's kept me from forking over big bucks for another one.

jighead

Matt D;
Thanks for the info, I'll be buying one next week!

jighead

MatD;
Thanks for the information concerning the Sno-BoatII. I picked one up the other day and although I had a little trouble setting up the canvas and adjusting the poles correctly; I think that this set up will work quite nicely! Thanks for your advice!

Drake

I have to tell you. If you are thinking about a Sno-boat, get the Glacier instead.

They are very similar once set-up.

The Glacier is lighter and it sets up much quicker. The canvas is also attached better (not stapled).

You won't regret your decision on this.

http://fishingminnesota.com/glacier.html

Rick

I agree,
the Glacier and sno-boat are very similar once set-up.

The Glacier is better quality, lighter, and much faster to set-up. Not as expensive either.

Get yourself a great product and get a Glacier.

Anyone else with a Glacier care to comment?

huskminn

I don't have a Glacier, but I sure do have some questions about them!

The "diagram" photo on the site shows a square box for a base. I hope that's just for illustrative purposes because I would want a sled-type base. Can someone clarify?

Also, does the Glacier have the "flip-over" option like a Fish Trap does? Or is it just simply set-up and stays that way until taken down?

Apparently there really isn't a place to get a look at a Glacier before buying. But, I was on a company's web site who also happens to have a retail store next to the interstate near Owatonna and I saw a Glacier line advertised there. Is this a place where a guy could get a look at one?

herb

I'm not sure about the store in Owatonna, but the cabellas in PDC Wis. had the glacier on display. I've got one and like it. The front does have a flip down feature so it's not dragging in the snow when you move from spot to spot. I just use a bungie cord to hold it up when I want to move. It has a sled type base. And I don't think you can get much lighter.

huskminn

I was kind of hoping to hear it all from the horse's mouth.......but I guess I'll go to Cabela's in Owatonna to check one out.

huskminn

Thanks for the follow-up. It is the two-man that I would have interest in.

I assume that one is still more mobile in a Glacier than they would be in a style like the Clam 5600.

I'll just have to go look at one to get most of my questions answered. Thanks!

herb

Pw 123, I've got the 3-man model and as I'm sitting in it, the front part that I'm facing will flip up and down. That's why I said it has a flip down feature. No, it's not like a fish trap or some others of that style, but it does flip or raise or whatever you want to call it.

Huskyminn,

Regarding the Glacier what all do you want to know? It does have a sled type base, and no it does not have the flip-over feature. It stays set up until taken down. FYI Cabelas in Owattonna only has the Glacier 2 man left FYI.

Paul

Rick

Huskminn
You are definitely more mobile in a Glacier than a Clam. You just flip the front piece up and your off. It's light. I owned a Clam and got rid of it. Not mobile enough for me. Too long to set-up and take down, especially when it's cold or windy. The Clam is also much heavier.

The picture drawn of the box is just an indicator. It is a sled similar to the sno-boat.

It's a nice unit. Everyone who has purchased one really likes them and several dozen have already been purchased here.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• monstermoose78
      You going to help me find some active fish @Cret Jigs 
    • Cret Jigs
    • eyeguy 54
      quite a few drifts where we were at. no 12 inchers but came close a few times. Smokin time friday.   grandkids are here and really enjoyed the cleaning process. Edin says,  his mouth is moving.  I bet he is saying why are you doing this to me...  LOL  gonna be 4 on Sunday. 
    • Tom Sawyer
      Can't believe there's that much snow left today....
    • eyeguy 54
      Found some dandies today for the smoker. Snow covered areas better than bare ice. 14 feet. 
    • Rick
      Fixed, thanks for the heads up.
    • Rick
      A series of events celebrating the 10-year anniversary of the passage of the Clean Water, Land and Legacy Amendment will take place throughout Minnesota in 2018. The first of these events will be from 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 27, at Silverwood Regional Park, 2500 County Road E, St. Anthony.  Adults and kids who attend the Parks and Trails Legacy Celebration at Silverwood Regional Park can try kick-sledding, ice fishing, a snowmobile simulator and other indoor and outdoor activities. Visitors can also hike among art sculptures throughout the park. Between activities, there will be s’mores and other light refreshments around a crackling bonfire. “The passage of the Legacy Amendment was a game-changer for organizations working to support Minnesota’s outstanding system of parks and trails,” said Erika Rivers, director of the DNR’s Parks and Trails Division. “At this event, and the statewide events to follow, we will not only highlight what has been accomplished over the past decade with Legacy funding but, perhaps even more important, we will gather input from people throughout the state—adults and kids alike—to help shape priorities moving forward.” Staff from the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, the Metropolitan Council and the Greater Minnesota Regional Parks and Trails Commission will be on hand throughout the afternoon to lead activities and gather ideas. Metro Transit is providing free rides to the event. Get a downloadable bus pass at www.legacy.leg.mn/ptlac/2018-regional-events. Future Parks and Trails Legacy Celebration events will take place: Friday, April 27, 4-7 p.m., at the College of St. Benedict in St. Joseph. Saturday, May 5, 1-4 p.m. at the Red Baron Arena in Marshall. Friday, May 11, 4-7 p.m., at Hyland-Bush-Anderson Lakes Park in Bloomington. Saturday, May 19, 1-4 p.m. at 125 LIVE in Rochester. Saturday, June 2, 1-4 p.m. at Itasca State Park in Park Rapids. Saturday, June 16, 1-4 p.m. at Prairie Wetland Environmental Learning Center in Fergus Falls. Wednesday, June 27, 1-4 p.m. at Essentia Health Duluth Heritage Sports Center in Duluth. For more information, visit www.legacy.leg.mn/ptlac. For accommodations to participate, please contact Paul Purman at the DNR, paul.purman@state.mn.us or 651-259-5643. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • wildsmallie
      Which river is good for char?
    • leech~~
      Here's a little back ground. The Dakota originally called the lake Mde Maka Ska (modern spelling Bde Maka Ska, pronunciation: Be-DAY Mah-KAH-Ska)[5] meaning White Earth Lake,[6] or White Bank Lake,[7] a name that probably was given by the Ioway who inhabited the area until the 16th century. Another Dakota name for the lake may have been Mde Med'oza, which was the name initially adopted by settlers, either as Lake Medoza or in translation as Loon Lake.[8] The Dakota also described it as Heyate Mde, meaning "Lake Set Back (from the River)".[9] The United States Secretary of War, John C. Calhoun, sent the Army to survey the area that would surround Fort Snelling in 1817. Calhoun had also authorized the construction of Fort Snelling, one of the earliest Euro-American settlements in the state. The surveyors renamed the water body "Lake Calhoun" in his honor. The Fort Snelling Military Reservation survey map created by Lt. James L. Thompson in 1839 clearly shows the lake as bearing the name "Calhoun".[10] Minneapolis skyline reflected in the lake in 2010 Calhoun's legacy as a pro-slavery politician has led critics to question whether he is the best person to be honored. In 2011 the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board visited the issue. Their legal counsel concluded that the board could not legally change the name, as state law gives that power to the Commissioner of Natural Resources, and then only in the first 40 years after the name was designated. Following the Charleston church shooting in June 2015, a fresh drive to change the name started via an online petition. The Park Board indicated it would look into whether they could change the lake's name through state action,[11][12] and in fall 2015 added the Dakota name to signage below the official name.[1] On March 22, 2016, an advisory group decided via majority vote to urge the Minnesota Park and Recreation Board to restore the lake's former name.[13] In 2017, the Minneapolis Park Board voted unanimously to change the lake's name back to that of Bde Maka Ska[14] and the Hennepin County commissioners approved it more narrowly.[15] The change needs final approval at state and federal level in order to go into effect.[16] There was also a proposal to rename the lake for Senator Paul Wellstone, who is buried in nearby Lakewood Cemetery.[17]
    • Rick
      The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources today announced the State of Minnesota has approved changing the name of Lake Calhoun in Minneapolis to Bde Maka Ska. The DNR’s decision follows a Hennepin County Board resolution requesting the change.  “The DNR respects the role of elected county boards in determining name changes for geographic features,” DNR Commissioner Tom Landwehr said.  “In this instance, I am confident the Hennepin County Board carefully considered community values and citizen perspectives in determining that this was the right action to take. DNR’s role is to ensure the county followed the proper process.” The DNR’s decision means the lake name change will become official in Minnesota when the DNR’s approval is officially recorded by Hennepin County and published in the State Register. Hennepin County commissioners voted to seek the name change Nov. 28. The DNR will submit the Hennepin County resolution, along with the state approval, to the U.S. Board of Geographic Names, which will approve or deny the name change for federal use. The DNR is the state agency that approves or denies name changes for geographic features, after Minnesota counties consider name change resolutions, gather public input and vote on proposed changes. In considering county requests to name a geographic feature or change a feature’s name, the DNR’s role is to consider 1) whether the county followed a proper public process prior to taking its action, and 2) whether the county-approved name complies with naming conventions. For example, names must avoid confusion with similarly named features, and names may not commemorate a living person. A copy of the DNR’s order for this name change and details on how Minnesota geographic features are named are available on the naming geographic features webpage. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
  • Share & Have Fun