• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mille Lacs Tullibees,

trappingaddiction

Anyone know were to find them? Just wondering on what to use on them, depths, bottom content, etc. that you can find the most of them in. I have heard of good bites, and fish commonly biting as soon as you can get your line down, I just don't really know were to go.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DTro

• aanderud

• monstermoose78

• broman

went after them for the first time last weekend and found them pretty easily in deeper water(mid 30ish) out by banana reef and hennepin island, electronics help as they can be suspended at random depths. as far as tackle the fish were not very picky, jig and some waxies should do the trick. good luck!

last weekend we caught them in 35 feet of water off of the mud, about 30 yards from the breakline. We caught them on anything from panfish jigs(glow flipper jig seemed best) to #1 do-jiggers, the Hali jig worked well. We caught most with waxworms but many were caught with minnow heads. Most biters came about 3-5 ft of bottom. Fishing with bobbers worked but jigging them was far better.

last weekend we caught them in 35 feet of water off of the mud, about 30 yards from the breakline. We caught them on anything from panfish jigs(glow flipper jig seemed best) to #1 do-jiggers, the Hali jig worked well. We caught most with waxworms but many were caught with minnow heads. Most biters came about 3-5 ft of bottom. Fishing with bobbers worked but jigging them was far better.

How long were you fishing, and how many did you end up getting?

I went out of Terrys on sunday and got 2 limits of tullies and 13 nice jumbos. they have allways pointed me in the right direction when I buy my road pass.

What is the best way to cook Tullibees? I have read several posts that they are good in the smoker, but can you fillet them and just cook them like "normal"? We will be on Mille Lacs this weekend and hope to get a few.

Last year I baked up alot of them and mixed them with walleye and could not tell the difference. I also put a few in my deep frier and they were good that way too.

Was out this morning from 8-11 am. Got 14 tullies and several jumbos. One of the jumbos was a freak. Got them all off of a mud flat in 32-35ft. (Near the bottom of the break) Using a small red jigging spoon with a minnow head. The Tullies were constently on the flasher, but the trick was to start pulling the jig up letting them chase it, sometimes as much as 10ft.

Good luck!

Trappingaddiction, we caught well over 100 that day. Although I went out yesterday afternoon with my father in law, in the same spot and we only managed to catch 13 (1pm-dark). Still marked fish all the time but had a very hard time getting them to bite. I have not seen so many fish follow a bait 15 ft up andnot bite, it was a strange day.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Our group was out yesterday and we caught over 50 tullibees while chaseing eyes and perch!

I've never eaten a tullibee. How do you guys prepare them?

~piker

They are really good smoked.

I would like to go up Tuesday for some Tullibees/perch. Not very familiar with Mille Lacs, but planning on going out of Terry's with only 2 wheel drive pick up. Will that work? Also, the Mpls forecast calls for temps around 9 above Tues and Wed. Will that affect the bite? Thanks

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

you will limited to the roads. There are some difts out there and I needed 4 wheel drive. One of the guys I was with got hung up and I had to pull him out and he was in a 4 wheel drive truck. The weather does not seem do much to tullies.

Thanks...I think I will try it. Called Terry's today and the guy I talk to didn't seem concerned. I have learned to be careful with my pickup. Have to get a 4x4 though!!!

How much does Terry charge for a road pass? Would that be a better area to look for tullibees, as opposed to the SE end of the lake? Was gonna go after trout next weekend, but hearing about this hot tullibee bite is giving me an itch smile

A very small resort, with a very grumpy and unpleasant owner. That has roads to many of the flats and excellent fishing spots. smile

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

JB you will have a blast the tullies. I cracked out the ultra light gear for my brother inlaw now he wants to go again. He thought it was a blast catching them as fast as he could. My hope is the big perch start showing up out there to feed on the hatchs going on. I think my brother inlaw may head up again friday.

My daughter and I had a great time on Mille Lacs (out of Terry's) today catching our 1st tulibee's. We weren't far from Kingfish's coords, but couldn't quite get there. Our 1st 1 1/2 hours were unproductive in 38' of water until we moved a short distance to 32'. We caught 27 nice Tullie's and 6 almost jumbo perch. (Gave 7 to the fellow's next to us who set up closer or on the flat in 21' of water. They finally started catching when they moved deeper.) I had no trouble with my 2 wheel drive pick up even though the wide roads were starting to drift. Thought they might not bite with this cold weather but no problem. It was great fun and the guy at Terry's was very helpful. Thanks to these boards for getting me to Terry's.

Is Terry's a good spot to launch from that will have cleared driving paths to go from? Are there any good spots from there for tullibees also? Thanks for the responses guys.