• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rochester Area Fishing Reports (Zumbro, Reservoirs, Foster Arend, Chester Wood)

Camping at Chester woods this weekend, how has the bite been? Crappie or blue gill will be the main targets.

Thanks,

Tim

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• icky

• northernfishin

• Redbeard5289

• *CRAPPIEKING*

Hello My sons and I will be floating the Zumbro from Millville down to Theillman on Saturday. We have never been on the Zumbro before. What kind of fishing action might I expect on that stretch of the river? Any suggestions on tackle? We are targeting smallmouth, but are interested in pursuing any and all of the many species rumored to be found in the mighty Zumbro.

Thanks

It should be a fairly easy float. There is a lot of scenery to look at. As far as fishing goesthrow some mepps spinners or rapalas. I can't get much more specific than that. I've floated the stretch just upstream from there, but did not fish (did see some muskies that left the lake though).

• 3 months later...

Has anyone been out on Foster's yet? I'm wondering if there is enough ice yet. This cold weather is getting me really itchy.

I went out yesterday to check and it showed about 1.5-2" . I stepped out 2 yrds and it started cracking. I wouldn't go out on it just yet, especially with the warm up we are expecting the next couple of days.

The rain forecast for Wednesday and Thursday is not going to help.

I fished Lake Onalaska this weekend; based on the forecast for the next week or two, I won't be ice-fishing anywhere again real soon. mad

Yeah agree. The last few days have WAY to warm. I was hoping to get out this weekend but agree with eyehunter. Although the warm weather was nice to get everything ready to go.

Hey has anyone caught a brown trout in Foster? I saw they haven't stocked any in a while but the fish they did stock were respectable browns. Just curious.

Foster-Arend has been stocked with several thousand adult rainbow trout every year going back to 2001; it also has received brook or brown trout adults in some years, most recently 495 adult brook trout in 2010: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/showreport.html?downum=55001900

Trout stocking in ponds is done in the winter, so I would expect Foster-Arend to get some adult trout soon.

anyone got an ice thickness check on Foster Arends relatively recently?

Now that my son is off from school for witner break I'd like to take him out and scratch both of our ice fishing itches....

Much appreciated!!

-Redbeard5289

3 to 3.5 is what I found Xmas eve. I am not going back until we get some cold weather. If u stay close to shore on the east side, you should be ok....maybe 5 inches if you're lucky?

Any one been out on the ice on the Zumbro by the Ponerosa yet? Would like to give it a shot, any suggestions on where to try would be great!

Anyone been out on the Rochester Res. anywhere? How thick is ice? Noticed no one is talking anout them anymore on here, taboo?

People have been fishing on all of them. You will find anywhere between 4 to 8 inches. After this week all the meltoff should refreeze and I imagine more ice will be made.

Thanks for the update I want to take my 3 year old out with me but wanted to make sure the ice was good enough for mom. ha ha

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody been out fishing Foster's lately? I was out there after Christmas for a couple days and had luck. This cold weather will finally bring some more much needed ice.

Anyone here fish Willow Creek Reservoir recently. I have tried to find information on it but everything is quite old. I heard in the past it produced pretty good but got fished out very quick. So, I am just wondering what the status of it is now. Any help would be great.

I haven't been there since this summer but I have heard of people catching fish out there.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't been out on Zumbro at all this year. Has anybody? Just wondering what the ice and bite conditions are. Any info helps a guy out. Thanks!

• 10 months later...

Fished Silver Creek today. 4-6" of ice. Mix of black and white ice. Quite a few people out there. Fished an hour at sun set and got a nice crappie. Marked a bunch of fish, but will go back out the coming days and see what else will be out there can be caught

Went out to Willow Creek Reservoir today with my son. Good 4-6 inches of ice on Willow Creek with about a little snow cover on it to make walk pretty good without spikes.

Unfortunately we only caught 3 small gills (3-4 inches) and a small perch (4 in) during our 2 hours out there this late morning but we sure had a lot of fun. Saw about 4 other 2-3person teams out there when we left, talked to one guy who was having the same amount of luck that we did.

Redbeard5289

I went fishing out to the Cascades today and yesterday and just pounded the crappies..a lot of small ones but a few decent. fishing about 9-10 ft of water

I went fishing out to the Cascades today and yesterday and just pounded the crappies..a lot of small ones but a few decent. fishing about 9-10 ft of water

Where is the parking at cascade?

The street/neighborhood is called Interlachen right off of county road 22, and you can park right next to the bike path

Is there any structure out there or is just a basin? Is there a lot of fish too? I'm debating on trying this out next week.

Is there one "lake" at Cascade that is better than the others. I want to bring my five year old out. Thought about K-7 in Byron also.

heavyduty,

K-7 Reservoir near Byron is a bit of a hike, especially for a 5 year old, IMO. Its not impossible but it might be a bit much.

I found that that foster arends and willow creek reservoir is an easier/shorter hike for young kids. Just an FYI for you and your son... Happy Fishing!

Redbeard5289

• The topic was unpinned