Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Fishing Report Clubs - LIMITED MEMBERSHIP - Join Today - FREE   01/24/2018

Fishing Minnesota had added a new menu item (see above) called Fishing Report Clubs. It's a way to keep the really good fishing reports coming and being shared only with those who also provide detailed fishing reports. We will only approve new members who request to join if they have already posted a recent fishing report in the area forum, associated with the Fishing Report Club area  you want to join. We are going to limit the number of regular memberships, in the Fishing Report Clubs, to the top 20  members in each Club, to those with the best frequency and quality fishing reports provided in the club and less so in the regular fishing report forum open to all members. The higher quality fishing report reserved for the club of course. If  you want fishing reports  around your area, I would Join Now, some of the clubs are starting to fill fast. Use the Fishing Reports Club link in the Menu above (after you've posted a fishing report in the regular area forum) and request to Join.
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
jkjkoda

Crow river shore fishing??

jkjkoda

never fished any good spots to shore fish? For walleye cats crappie Pike? From St.michale exit off 94.

Brad B

are you asking if anyone has ever fished that part of the crow from shore. I would have to say most likely not since most of the land along the river is private property. I have heard of people fishing that part when the river was high using a boat. you would have to put it at dayton and then travel back west on the river to get to that area. This is the time of the year that you have to be careful. currently there is a flood advisory out for the south fork of the crow. if you are already in that area why not just drive to monticello and fish the mississippi. there are three parks that you can fish at. 1st being montissippi which has a boat launch and fishing peir, then there is west bridge park right in monti that has a fishing peir and then there is ellison park that has alot of nice shore area to fish from along with a boat access. then there is a small boat access east of monti that is at the end of kadler ave. so you have options in the area.

CrowRiverRat83

There are actually quite a few public spots to fish the Crow around Otsego, St Michael, Dayton. I shorefished this area alot last summer and did pretty well. Channel cats and suckers were the most common fish I caught. Almost any of the spots will produce these fish as long as your in a spot that has some depth to it. I can tell you of a couple places to try if you want to shoot me an email. junkers23@yahoo.com

DuckBlind

Are there any good places along the Crow river near Hanover or St. Michael...even Greenfield/Rockford area where a guy could wade in and fly fish for smallies? Any smallies worth fishing for on this river...I live in Maple Grove, it would be nice to try that area, it is a little closer than the Miss up in Otsego...

Any help would be appreciated...thanks!

CrowRiverRat83

There is a small county park in Hanover just downstream of the historical bridge. In St Michael you can walk back into the Crow Hassen Park Reserve and fish anywhere in there.

To be honest I think the Miss or the Rum would be better/safer for wading. The Crow has pretty dark water and you cant see where your stepping next very easily. There are some pretty sharp drop offs and breaks in a lot of spots too.

MidCoast

Yes, fishing from shroe on that section will produce lots of catfish and suckers.

EBass

Quote:
Any smallies worth fishing for on this river

Not really but there are some in there on the rocky sections (not many areas, but normally near bridges) Ifn you want smallie action hit da sippi on or after opener of course. It's a good channel cat river ifn you're into that and some nice walleyes from time to time so I've heard.

mrklean

what about cats in the crow around rockford? I work in town and its a 2 min drive for me

jigginjim

I have fished the crow a few times. Not much for smallies, but have caught a couple of pike. The sucker fishing could be rather fun this in the spring. A good warm up for the opener.

CrowRiverRat83

The sucker fishing has been pretty hot lately. Just throw out a crawler darn near anywhere.

MinnesnowtaWild

Anyone catch Channel Catfish near Delano? I want to shore fish there sometime for Carp/Catfish/Suckers but don't really know where to start looking or if it's even worth it.

I've heard about nice Channel Cats in that river but not sure if that's only up by the Mississippi.

BigGrassBass

You won't get a ton of any one thing, but decent action for suckers, carp, and cats. Just find a bridge and have at it. My friend spent lots of time under some of the bridges in high school and it was always a good way to kill a day.

Mr Special

The crow has a ton of channels in it. Most of them aren't bigger then 5lbs, but a shot at a 10+lbs is not uncommon at all. the biggest i've seen out of the crow was 21lbs. Finding shore access can be tough in some spots, but you can always travel to Waterdown, rockford area as well. Starting at a bridge is a good way to go about it.

If you have access to a canoe, floating the river is a blast.

tsande00

I'm planning a river trip this weekend. We'll be on kayaks. Likely floating from Delano to St. Michael, or maybe just Rockford to St. Michael. We'll be making one overnight stay along the way.

I just may have to bring a pole with...sounds like a good time.

Can a guy "troll" the river by flipping a line over the side of the kayak and hoping for a hit as you leisurely float along? Or are you going to have a lot more luck standing on shore with a weight sitting on the bottom?

What would be my best bet for bait?

goblueM

You can definitely troll with a short amount of line out. but I think you'd be better off on the crow to fish some deeper holes with a crawler on the bottom

If you end up floating the Crow, take note of any logjams or other obstructions and report where you saw them if you get a chance (http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/watertrails/conditions.html)

There'll be a crew scheduled to be on the South Fork of the Crow sometime in the next couple weeks to relocated those woody obstructions and make a safe path for paddlers, and I know they'd appreciate some advance knowledge of problem areas

Mr Special

Im sure you would catch some fish trolling. But stopping to make a few cast in multiple spots would produce more. While trolling, I would recommend not to run too deep. Most of the river, even during the spring season is probably under 6'. Maybe a just few snapshots above your bait. This may seem a little outside of the box, but I've trolled bobbers and have done well. . When your camping would be a good time to soak a crawler on bottm. Not sure what you'll catch, but I know you'll catch something. Thats half the fun of river fishing with a crawler.

Have fun and let us know how you do!

tsande00

Went from the walk in canoe access just outside of Lake Rebecca in Rockford all the way to the Mississippi. I didn't get a chance to fish unfortunately but can't wait to go back with some bait next time.

Didn't see much for log jams at at all.

DuckBlind

Does the river flow north up to the Mississippi...might be a dumb question but I have never been on it, cant think of even seeing the river.

CrowRiverRat83

Yes, it flows east to the Miss.

tsande00

Does the river flow north up to the Mississippi...might be a dumb question but I have never been on it, cant think of even seeing the river.

It enters the Mississippi in Dayton, MN at the boat launch. The boat ramp goes into the 'sippi, but there is a canoe "launch" into the Crow off of the same parking lot at the access.

mrklean

the river in rockford has gone way done im gonna start hitting the shores for some cats pretty quick here

CrowRiverRat83

Same here, mrklean. When the water is really low it opens up alot more shorefishing opportunities. The cats have been biting pretty well lately too.

mrklean

cut bait or live?

CrowRiverRat83

Just your standard cut suckers. Havent tried live bait though.

mrklean

that was my guess ill be using cut suckers or some other type of cut bait