• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I've never used him, but I've heard Travis Frank of Trophy Encounters does a pretty good job.

shedaddict I missed your post when making mine. I have also heard (and seen) very good things about Travis. I have not meet him, but know many who have. Another very good option in my book. smile

Travis has been nailing the fish out there the last couple days, but said it wont last long. High water is on the way and the DNR will likely shut the river down to boat traffic due to the above normal risk levels. Much earlier than normal down there.

I have been down there fishing a little the past week or so and ran into Travis. All I gotta say is he was one heck of a guy. I imagine turn is of the same caliber...couldn't go wrong w/ either!

Is there talk about shutting the river down some where? Have never seen this done in all the years I have fished down there. What is earlier than normal for shutting it down?

Forgot to add this. Get a hold of the Griz. Oops. Captain Griz. Make sure who ever you go with is properly licensed as the DNR has been doing a fair amount of patrolling down there lately. You wouldnt get a ticket but would hate to see your trip ruined by some clown that would get one.

another vote for travis here. if you go with him, there is absolutely no way you could be disappointed, and he is going to give you the best opportunity to catching a trophy walleye. trophy encounters

Forgot to add this. Get a hold of the Griz. Oops. Captain Griz. Make sure who ever you go with is properly licensed as the DNR has been doing a fair amount of patrolling down there lately. You wouldnt get a ticket but would hate to see your trip ruined by some clown that would get one.

As far as the Griz goes, the last I heard is he still is taking the Six-pack course and is "not" fishing the river until it is completed. wink

I would for-go the Griz until maybe mid-season or maybe even next year? Unfortunately the Griz was skirting the regulations for years and it caught up with him. Now he has to go back to school like Rodney Dangerfield back in 86' laugh

During the crest of the spring flooding or longer (a week or so), you do not want to be on the river. The DNR runs and controls the launched and if they close the gates, you are either carrying your row-boat from the street to commit suicide or just not going. grin

I dont agree with you about not being on the river during high water. This can be some fantastic fishing. I would agree that you do not want to be a [PoorWordUsage] on the water at that time. Caution is needed. Guess I did see Hidden falls landing shut down for a day or 2 about 10 years ago. The river was still open. St Paul park closed theres down for some reason last spring. Had no problems just going up to 494 to launch at that time.

The Griz finished his OUPV course and passed the test. This comes straight from Gary his OUPV instructor and was reconfirmed by Captian Griz last night on WCCO. He is open for river guiding again. It will be good to see he back on pool 2 this summer.

Last year they shut down Hidden Falls and Lilydale for about three weeks. Water was just too high. I was down there March 18th, and four days later when I tried to go back it was closed.

Now that you mention it wasnt it last year that lillydale road was shut down for a week or so. 494 was still open at that time. It was interesting watching guys launch there boats off the cement dock ramp.

Im sure the river has been shut down at some point and time in the last 100 years. Just because they shut a landing down does not mean you can not use the river. The closet I have seen it come to the river being shut down was roughly 5 years ago. At that time the locks where shut to public boat traffic. At that time other than myself it was just the St Paul rowing club on the river and the walleyes where just silly.

Thanks for the update on the Griz krinkle.

Water Street/Lillydale Road gets shut down almost every year at one point. I guess if you are into ignoring "Danger" or "Off Limits" signs, go ahead. When the the DNR closes the launches or the Coast Guard prohibits recreational vessel traffic on the Mighty Miss. they usually mean it wink . Good luck krinkle. smile

I just get a little up set with some of these cities trying to force us off the river. Like st paul park last year. Give these guys a inch and they will take a mile. Its a good thing one city can not shut down the river or it would be nuts down there from here to the middle of july. A city can shut down its own landings but I believe it has very little control over the river. I believe its the coast guard that has control over that. They will post a notice in the Local Notice to Mariners if its getting shut down.

Not sure if I have ever seen Danger or off limit signs on pool 2 either. Seen road closed on lillydale road due to flooding. Not river closed. I dont ignore the road closed sign. I dont ignore the closed gates. It just means head on to another landing that is open.

With this rain we are getting today it would not surprise me to see the Coast Guard shut pool 2 down for awhile this spring. This would be the 1st time I have seen that in 10 years of fishing down there. What I hope not to see if some dumb [PoorWordUsage] at the city that spend no time on the river start shutting down landings way before they need to or keep them shut well after they need to. Should be a interesting spring.

In 97 p2 was shut down to all motorized boat traffic! This was for about 9 days if I remember right. Krinkle is correct that the city cannot shut down the river but do control there launch for safty reasons. When this happens you can still hop in a canoe under your own risk. That is one thing that nobody can control. Though they do shut her down for a good reason when this happens. In 97 we floated the canoes out of the levee to a buddys place down south. Watched a tree roll over at about 7 mph right next to us...... Ended up paddling thru the woods after that one smile

Quote:
Not sure if I have ever seen Danger or off limit signs on pool 2 either.

That was just a reference. When they close off the launches (shut & lock the gates), to me that is a warning.

I never said anything about the city doing anything. They can shut down roads and parks. The DNR public access is run by the MN DNR, but is patrolled by local police and park rangers also. The city can close the park around an access, so if you jump the barricade with your canoe, I am not sure if that is breaking the law?

The river itself can be shut down to commercial and recreation boat traffic by the USCG. I am not sure if the MN DNR can shut it down, but I am sure they have a huge influence with the USCG.

I had an experience back in the spring of 2001 that actually made me think differently about going on the river when the water is up past the turn around in Lillydale. First thing is when you get out in the main channel (115hp), you feel instantly the river is in control. WOT and maybe 10mph up stream. Unfortunately (maybe fortunetly) at the first spot we stopped, I got my anchor wedged tight on some rip-rap while trying to get it to even hook the bottom. We decided this was way to crazy for any fish. Went to yank up the anchor and it was solid. then water was rushing past the keel like I was on plane. After yanking extremely hard once, it deflected the rushing water straight up and into the bow. Luckily the bow bounced upward and and did not go under. I just untied the rope and let it go. I would imagine if the bow went below the water, the entire boat would be compromised in seconds.

The raging water is just one of the issues. The debris is another. Not only is their more of it, it is bigger stuff and moving 10x as fast. If you are able to get a line in the water, the chances of seeing or feeling a bite is about slim to nada!

I personally do not have an issue with someone going out in these conditions. What I have an issue with is the rescue workers who have to risk their lives to save boaters who do not head to the obvious warnings. All it takes is to be anchored and have a submerged iceberg, tree, refrigerator, dishwasher, or what ever ram your boat and trouble can start.

IMO the river is just fine right now. It is up a little in Elk River, but the sand bars are still exposed.

Yep. There are a lot of people that should not be on the river in high water. There are plenty that shouldn't even be on it in low water.

Getting your canoe ready again this year Joe?

Ready to go as soon as the ice clears. Hope to get a few miles on the old battle box unless the fish keep me in the boat.

Ezekiel-

Another good guide option is Matt Seifert at Musky Mercenary Guide Service. I was out with him last week and we were lucky enough to boat a 28" x 18" walleye. He does have his 6 pack license.

I seem to recall the river being very high in 1999/2000. I was working at Minnehaha bait at the time. Caught a 32" walleye from pool 2 after dark up shallow. Few weks later we could not get close the the area that held fish. when we did get back on the river trees had plastic bags hanging in them.

• 2 weeks later...

Too funny, I was talking too a guy at Hidden Falls in Blue Lund who was launching and I told him the launches were going to be closing soon and he went off this tangent like we're hearing here just [PoorWordUsage] about anything and everything.

Long story short this was the day the ice jam let loose and clogged the upper part of pool 2 and he was one the guys stranded down stream for 7 hours due to the impossibility of navigating on the River. His trailer was still in the lot at 10pm LOL! I heard some of the guys got lucky and made it to Water Gate marina and took cabs to get there trailers.

They closed the River for a very good reason and that is to protect the public and more importantly the first responders them-selves from having to get some know-it all [PoorWordUsage] out of harms way.

no better fisherman on this stretch than the grizz

Thats funny. Spend some time on pool 2 and you will find some very good fishermen down there. The Griz is good but Im not sure if he would be my 1st pick to jump in the boat with.

Now for hair tips the Griz is tops.