• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice Report-Hudson

Tom Linderholm

Hey guys, waiting on the river to open up to sea trail a boat. How's it looking down there by the marina? Any updates truly appreciated.

Sorry, meant Sea Trial, running a boat to ensure it is what they say it is in terms of seaworthyness and that the engine's run before I make the purchase.

I was curious about the "sea trail" too. crazy Still 20+ inches of ice on the Croix. Usually not ice-free till mid April, though some marinas may have some open water around them earlier.

About half of the marina is open. couldn't see the hoist area, but I think its open.

The north side of the bay is open (south of the pier).

The main channel is open (of course).

If you were going to go out now, you'd have to break through the ice for about 30yds. Not sure how thick it is. Then head up around the island. It is plenty deep for most boats, but you have to stick close to the pier. In the top picture you can see an underwater point that extends to the NE. It's all no-wake north of the bridge.

Hudson3-10.jpg

100_5158.jpg

100_5159.jpg

100_5160.jpg

100_5162.jpg

100_5164.jpg

Absolutely awesome work Lightning! Way more than I could have asked for. Looks like I may be down in the next couple weeks to take her for a spin!

There is a boat launch on the Minnesota side just south of the 94 bridge called Beanies if the waiting gets to much. grin

We all know whats that about especially wanting to know how the new rig performs.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Absolutely awesome work Lightning! Way more than I could have asked for. Looks like I may be down in the next couple weeks to take her for a spin!

Tom, can't you take it out on Superior up there?

I'm guessing the boat is already at the marina. Otherwise there are plenty of other places with open water.

I'm guessing the boat is already at the marina. Otherwise there are plenty of other places with open water.

Ah! good point Lightning! I'm thick sometimes! crazy

Yep, its the one in my avatar, sitting on stands. They will have to use the lift to drop her in for the trial, and a semi to ship it up to Superior, so going elsewhere is not an option.

Yep, its the one in my avatar, sitting on stands. They will have to use the lift to drop her in for the trial, and a semi to ship it up to Superior, so going elsewhere is not an option.

Have you contacted the Marina to see when they would even be open to start lifting boats in? It's melting like crazy down here now so maybe it wouldn't be to long?

You might want to see the High Water post I just made. Looks like the river will be going all the way up to 683 feet by next Thursday or Friday and that would put the No Wake Restriction in place. I also expect it to blow right past 683 feet and we could be looking at flood levels after that. Normally the ice doesn't go out until around the 2nd week in April but this high water will definitely affect the Ice Out time. The main channel area from the Swing Bridge to the Hudson 94 Bridge will probably have a lot of broken up, drifting ice in the High Water current I would expect. The marina docks and the ramps are all going to be having problems with the high water too.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• jparrucci
      Very low, probably 2 feet lower than last year at ice out.
    • mbeyer
      what do they look like this spring?
    • SkunkedAgain
      I might have missed a guess, but here are the ones that I noted:   JerkinLips – March 27th, then April 7th Brianf. – March 28th Bobberwatcher – April…. MikeG3Boat – April 10th SkunkedAgain – early April, then April 21st   Definitely a tough year for guesses, as it seemed to be a no-brainer early ice out. Then it got cold and snowed again.
    • mbeyer
      MN DNR posted April 13 as Ice out date for Vermilion
    • Brianf.
      ^^^45 in the morning and 47 in the evening
    • CigarGuy
      👍. What was the water temp in Black Bay? Thanks....
    • Brianf.
      No, that wasn't me.  I drive a 621 Ranger. 
    • CigarGuy
      So, that was you in the camo lund? I'm bummed, I have to head back to the cities tomorrow for a few days, then back up for at least a few weeks. Got the dock in and fired up to get out chasing some crappies till opener!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Lots of ice on the main basin, but it is definitely deteriorating.  Some anglers have been fishing the open water at the mouth of the Rainy River in front of the Lighthouse Gap.  The rest of the basin is still iced over. Pike enthusiasts caught some big pike earlier last week tip up fishing in pre-spawn areas adjacent to traditional spawning areas.  8 - 14' of water using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring has been the ticket.  Ice fishing for all practical purposes is done for the year. The focus for the basin moving forward will be pike transitioning into back bays to spawn,  This is open water fishing and an opportunity available as the pike season is open year round on Lake of the Woods. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. With both the ice fishing and spring fishing on the Rainy River being so good, many are looking forward to the MN Fishing Opener on Saturday, May 11th.  It should be epic. On the Rainy River...  An absolutely incredible week of walleye and sturgeon fishing on the Rain Rainy River.     Walleye anglers, as a rule, caught good numbers of fish and lots of big fish.  This spring was one for the books.   To follow that up, the sturgeon season is currently underway and although every day can be different, many boats have caught 30 - 40 sturgeon in a day!  We have heard of fish measuring into the low 70 inch range.  Lots in the 60 - 70 inch range as well.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  Open water is continuing to expand in areas with current.  The sight of open water simply is wetting the pallet of those eager for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th.   A few locals were on the ice this week, targeting pike.  Some big slimers were iced along with some muskies as well.  If you like fishing for predators, LOW is healthy!  
    • Brianf.
      Early bird gets the worm some say...   I have it on good authority that this very special angler caught no walleyes or muskies and that any panfish caught were released unharmed.        

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.