• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

WORK BOOTS

Tyler23

Question

i wasnt sure where to post this... but im looking to get a new pair of work boots ive had the wellington style boots and really like em so i would like to get another pair... anyone had redwing boots? they seem really nice but expensive. or i see dr. martens makes industrial boots anyone had any experiance with them? any imput would be nice thanks

there aint a better boot made than redwing. for those of us on our feet all day, their comfort is worth every penny

do they hold up well with oil and water on them alot? i spend all day on my feet on concret ive heard these are pretty comfortable on concret also?

yup, i do construction and farm work with them. but i always treat them with an oil conditioner before wearing them, then treat them once in a while, usually when they look "dehydrated". what i have noticed about them is i usually go through 3 sets of new laces before the boots go to heck. i believe the store is called bremmels in either randall or cushing, but you can by brand new red wings at up to half off or more. they usually sell boots that are comsetically flawed, which would be some uneven stitching. thats where i go, just dont remember the spelling of the store, or which of the two towns its in. theres a big billboard along highway 10, so thats how i know where to turn

I have redwingsfor the last ten years or so like them alot but the pair i have now is not the best pair, think i got a bad set feet hurt at the end of the day,

redwings, best boots out there, doesn't matter what your doing, ya just can't beat the comfort everyday

i too am a red wing guy, (sounds bad) one thing that helped me with my last pair was a good pair of insoles with arch support. RW has their own type one that you trim and put in the boot the other one is you heat them up in the oven, slide in boot then stand on them for a while. I did not like those too much. If you dont have to have steel toes, you are lucky, my feet hurt so bad after 20 yrs of steel toes. cant go wrong, stay away from the blemish RW if possible. they do have some issues with how they fit compared to first grade.

nobodys had problems with the souls coming apart or anything? are the steel toes less comfertable than the non steel toed ones?

If you truly wear workboots every day, find a pair that fits well and then get a second pair with a boot dryer so you can rotate them.

Redwings hands down. Use a boot drier (I use the Peet brand) and they last longer than any other brand out there. Get the right one for your environment and you will be happy.

I wore a set of 414 Redwings for 5 years and loved them! Now I have 411 Redwings, I dont like these nearly as much. I miss having a heal, you dont realize how much you use that until you dont have it. Anouther bad thing about them is they dont breath at all, my feet are damp all day and stink to high heaven at the end of the day.

I'm a redwing guy as well. I'm a bricklayer so I'm on my feet all day. I've tried wolervine to bobcat to just about any brand out there. Redwings last longer and are the most comfortable. Get em you won't be disappointed.

Redwings here also. I've been wearing them for the past 8 or so years and been very happy. Mine get soaked everyday in anything from water, machining coolant, misc. oils, hydraulic fluids, greases, bleach, acid, molten aluminum, anything you can think of in a machine shop. I replace mine every 1-2 years only because the sole gets worn down to nothing that it becomes a safety hazard and the cushion and arch is no longer there. The rest of the boot is still in excellent condition for the abuse they get, never had the sole come loose, and if for any reason something does come loose they guaranty them for life and you go into the nearest RW store and they fix them for free. They also will give you a new set of laces whenever you need, just ask.

Just make sure you spend the extra $ and get the ones made in the US, just like every other company out there they have started making them overseas and they just don't feel the same and I don't think they have the same guaranty as the US made ones.

The Redwing "Workx" or however they spell it boots are the forign ones.

The Redwing "Workx" or however they spell it boots are the forign ones.

They are not the only forign ones, both of my pairs where. It says on the label on the tounge.

how do you tell the foreign ones vs the american made ones?

I believe only their top line is still made in the US. But just look at the tag and it will say where it was made. You will notice the price difference also.

Everyone on here has it right, Redwings hands down, worn em for the last 34 years.on my second set of pecos in as many, 10 years on this current pair,wear em going out fishin, mushroom huntin, everything how many pairs of tennis shoes would you go through in 10 years?they are 125.00 a pair,at work im a concrete contractor and i wouldnt wear anything else, believe me its a real tough environment, the ankle support is very important to me, comfort also and durability is unmatched , usually can get 3 years out of a pair ,seen guys come to work with cheap boots and go through a couple pairs a year, some guy s would call in saying my feet hurt ,got sick of that and started providing wings for em now i got rid of that problem!Sure Redwings are half as much more but hey man what are youre feet worth??

Wow. I've only had one pair of Red Wings, and I never realized how much I disliked them until I got something different. I have to wear ASCI compliant toe protection ("Steel Toed") boots for work, and wanted something that wasn't steel due to my using a magnetic locator. Red Wing didn't have anything at a reasonable price (and even then not much to choose from) so I tried some Timberlands. They have a new Pro series that use an alloy (Titan-toe?) that is lighter and doesn't ring out on a locator like steel does, so I tried them at around $130/pr.

BEST DECISION EVER. They are more light-weight, more comfortable, instantly comfortable, breathe well, and have more toe room than Red Wings are (until they redesigned them with the king toe). Honestly, they are more comfortable than my street shoes and runners, and I prefer to wear them when working around the house, out and about, and doing yard work. Plus, they are great for work! If there is a drawback it is that they don't hold a polish all that well (Need a good once-over monthly). I bought a pair this year with a new finish that cost around $20 more and hope this helps.

Don't trash me for not being a Red Wing lover, 'cause I tried them and didn't realize how heavy and clunky they were until I switched. You can do what you want, but I'd give Timberlands a try in the store.

Another Red Wing Guy. The pair I currently wear to work I got Summer of 08 for an internship where i was on my feet all day at a manufacturing plant. I was required to get steel toes, and I have not had any problem with the steel toes hurting my feet. For the past year I have sat behind a desk and wear them every day. Steel toes are still required if I spend more than X number of hours on the manufacturing floor. Like others said, if you are getting them really wet and dirty, get two or three pairs and rotate them. Also be sure to condition them monthly.

i went down today and looked at a pair of redwings that fit my needs... they were $209 without tax!... i didnt get them because of that, im really reconsidering getting them now kinda leaning towards georgia boots seeing the ones i like are only $120

There are several dealers that sell boots way below the price of others. I get mine at Nakomis shoes but hear stockmans farm supply in Woodville(?) Wisconsin even beats their price.

Another vote for the Timberland Pro's - I have the same boot as McGurk, and they are like walking on pillows!

FYI Tip: Gander just moved a ton of boots into clearance, and marked them down further up to 70% off original price. Be a very good time to snoop over the boot racks there guys. wink

In the last 10 years I've had Timberland, Rocky, Red Wing, and a few other off brands. I always liked the Rocky boot, untill I tried Red Wing and now thats all I'll get. We have to have saftey toe in our boots and our company pays us $100 per year for boots. I always get the composite toe (some kind of hard plastic), and this year I'll probably get the exact same boot I bought last year, Red Wing all the way. I get a lot of coolant on my boots and stand on concrete all day and they stand up really well.

Maybe we get a better deal since we have the boot trucks come to us and our company buys so many but I've never paid more than $130 for a pair of boots no matter what brand, and like I said before our company kicks in $100 so actually I've never paid more than $30. The Red Wings I have now I think the price was $120 with a can of boot treatment.

33 years of working on concrete floors, I've also tried a lot of boots, Carhartt, Timberland, Rocky, Sears, Cat, and several others. I always avoided Red Wings because of the price. Several years ago the company offered to pay for a pair of boots for all employees (dont anymore) so I got the Red Wings at their expense. At first I wasnt sold, but after a few weeks of "breaking in" they quickly became my favorite. With daily use, in the worst of conditions, welding, cutting, coolant, oil, grease, grime whatever I could throw at them they took it. They would easily outlast others I have owned by double the time. Now, even after the company no longer contributes, I still buy Red Wings without even looking at anything else. Biggest problem I have is giving up the old ones! A very satisfied customer. (and I never even knew about the free lace thing)

I've been in the masonry bus. for over thirty years,last year I bought a $50.00 pair of "dickies" with the flat sole. I've had red wings, sears diehards and most of em out there, the dickies were for me the most comfortable and as durable as any other boot I've owned. I know red wings are as good as they get but weren't comforable for me.

For every day working boots I go with Red Wings for comfort and they can stand a lot of abuse. Over the years I have bought at few boots that looked and felt good in the store just to get them home and not be able to wear them or have them srink to much after getting them wet. I've never tried the timberland work boots but I have had a few good pairs of shoes from them.

Another Vote for the Red Wings. The other goo dthing about them for a bunch of models if you take care of the leather you can get new soles put on ofr about $60-$75 and get more wear out of them yet. It is all my brother, dad and I wear and we are all work construction.

Another thing I forgot to mention about the Red Wings I have now:

Got them last May, treated them right away and they fit like a glove from the start, best fitting boot I've ever had, not much of a uncomfortable break in period so I loved these boots from the start. 4th of July weekend I went out to my buddies place for the weekend but when I left I could not find them at all, thought someone stole them. Man I was bummed, I kept asking my buddy if he's seen them around and complained to my roomates on a daily basis. Fast forward to October when my roomate who does rock walls was working out at my buddies place and noticed a pair of boots hanging in the tree with the laces tied together. Let them dry out for a week and have worn them almost every day since, they still look almost new except for normal wear and tear.

I think I know who did it, i did the same thing to his hunting boots only on a power line. But he found his right away and I would have told him, not let them sit up there for 3 months in the rain and I think even snow. When I asked him about it he acted like he knew nothing about it but I will get him back.

Red wings hands down. I have tried saving money buying cheaper pairs of boots and they just don't last. I have had three pairs of Redwings in the last 9 years and have only thrown away one pair with the other two still being in great condition. The only problem that I had with the first pair was the leather covering the steel toe wore through from being on my knees and kicking stuff. The guy that sold me my second pair recommended some stuff that you paint over the toe that is kind of like the same stuff that is used in roll on bed liners. I can't remember the name of it, but I have saw it just about everywhere that sells Redwings. If the fit of steel toes are an issue, Redwing makes a boot called the kingtoe that has plenty of room. That must say something when out of all the comments on this post, 3/4 are for redwings.