• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Now. But in a week or two there will be more people at the portage and there will be more skipping!!!!! If the weather stays nice.

Last two weekends of March are usually high time and into April if the ice holds. There won't be as big of a crowd there until the crick opens up further out.

I still don't know how nobody has been killed skipping there yet....

About 10-15 sleds there last weekend when we went by, a few skipping, but not a whole lot of open water on saturday. It will only get better.

I still don't know how nobody has been killed skipping there yet....

Someone was killed up there not that many years back by an airplane.

Perhaps this year after all the stupidity is over, all the drunks and the people watching them will clean up after themselves?? but I doubt it...

"Ace"

Terry,

I take it from your comment that there is a lot of trash there when people leave. That is too bad that people have to be that way. Janelle and I actually like to watch the people do there thing on the water. I suppose if people keep trashing the place they will shut it down. There adds another thing that has to be governed because of idiots.

Someone was killed up there not that many years back by an airplane.

Yes, that was back in 2000. I should have clarified by someone either skipping or racing too/from the site most likely while under the influence.

Once watched a thin, dark haired fellow come down the lake at 80 MPH (not exaggerated) in his truck, hit the e-brake and do eight 360's before coming to rest two feet from a group of parked snowmobiles. Ten more feet and there would have been very serious injuries to multiple people. Not a surprise that was the same fellow who has the record for most all time sled sinkings in a day (8), season, and lifetime.

I have to agree with ACE on this one....the amount of trash left up there is discusting. All you have to do is visit the area in the early spring right after ice out and you will see whats left. clothes, belts, sled parts, beer cans, ect. It would be fine if people would just pick up after themselves. Not everyone is to blame I know, most are good about it. Its like in everything, a few ruin it for everyone.

Ok im off my soap box for a year

geez now were all classified as drunks if we are out there...i dont go to meetings so i dont think i am a drunk. i will be out there next weekend and the 2 after that

Law enforecment, DNR / Sheriff has had a stronger showing lately so that should help. I know they had a hey day handing out tickets last year.

I had the same concerns about litter so two years ago in mid May I took a good look in the water all around there and I only found one beer can which I netted. I didn't look on shore and maybe some other folks had been there and cleaned up by then.

There is usually some litter from Moc Pt to Trout Ck along the trail too most weekends but someone usually picks that up.

It is my understanding that the locals who have cabins up in that area have it cleaned up right away. Props to them.

From what I have heard a lot of it ends up down the shorelines, especially with the current there. Kinda like the floatila, water ballons ending up down by Ely island and further.

It is fun to watch the skips though, I just hope everyone stays safe.

Law enforecment, DNR / Sheriff has had a stronger showing lately so that should help. I know they had a hey day handing out tickets last year.

Excellant, I hope they ticket everyone that litters!! There is simply NO excuse for littering.

I thought skipping was illegal? At least that's what I was told when I was younger. Probably my dad not wanting me to take his sled over the water (not that it stopped me......) wink

Where do they do the water skipping. I've seen videos but I've never seen it in person. We are heading up to the cabin in about two weeks. It might be fun to watch.

I thought skipping was illegal? At least that's what I was told when I was younger. Probably my dad not wanting me to take his sled over the water (not that it stopped me......) wink

From page 23 of the Snowmobiling Regs

It is unlawful to:

• operate your snowmobile in a careless, reckless, or heedless

manner that endangers the operator, or property of another, or

causes injury or damage (Intentionally driving over open water,

or water skipping, may be considered careless or reckless unless

done as an event under special permit.)

Your dad wasn't just feeding you a line.

North of Pine Island. You drive off Moccasin Point. They skip over the river mouth along the north shore of Vermilion where the river comes in from Trout Lake.

It also says "May be considered careless or reckless" seems like it's up to the officer there if it's a ticketable occurance?

Yes, there's discretion involved. What might be considered obviously careless or reckless to some isn't to others. Personally, I think it is darn reckless and careless to run a snowmobile that way (especially over deeper water), but I carry around an opinion, not a badge and a gun.

I've photographed it several times outside Ely. It is a lot of fun to watch. smilesmile

The water skips are a banner weekend for area business. Trails are done, and still every place is full of customers. When I would ride out there on weekdays I wouldnt see any trash at all left on the ice from the weekend before. Almost every truck out there has a trashbag hanging from it. I think for the amount of people out there, they do a fantastic job of cleaning up after themselves. Much better than 10-12 years ago.

Made it out there today sure was alot of fun watching, Some of those guys are nuts. There was 4 sherrifs out there and 2 dnr I did not see any tickets given out to the skippers. Here are a few pic's.

waterskipping049.jpg

waterskipping047.jpg

waterskipping037.jpg

waterskipping030.jpg

waterskipping050.jpg

waterskipping045.jpg

Excellant pictures. Very interesting stuff. Thanks for posting.