• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big Sandy Lake Fishing Reports

Will be heading up with a few guys in a few weeks for the first time. Can anyone give any general info. on where to search for 'eyes on BSL? Not looking for anyone's hotspot, just some ideas of depth-structure. Looking for some pike hopefully too.

Any info. is much appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• palisade1kid

• lispeej

• Born2Fish

• Crappie2760

tons of structure on the lake (sunken islands,points of rock).a mapchip will show them. most of them top off at 10'. ive had better luck in the winter off the struct, and deeper 15-25'.the pike are everywhere but if you go 15' and less, your odds improve greatly.

• 2 weeks later...

was thinking of coming up to fish big sandy this weekend and would like to know if they are driving on the lake or not and if so. do you 4 wheel drive or is there a road? and what the hack how has the bite bin?

There is a thread in (walleyes) that is titled keeping 12" walleyes . You might want to read this thread if you are going to BSL to fish for eyes

Heading out there tomorrow. Looking for a little change of scenery from cromwell area. Just wondering whats going on out there with the crappies and eyes? Also on avg whats the ice thickness out there?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

My buddies and I are going up to Big Sandy this weekend and we are wondering what the ice is like? If anyone has been out there recently can ou tell us if people are driving out there and if there are any good roads?

Any reports yet? I know they aren't gonna be starting hot and heavy for a couple months, but I'm thinking about heading up and getting a couple for the smoker.

Coming up to Big Sandy on Thursday Feb 4. Just for the day and would like to rent a fish house or two. If anyone has any ideas or would like to rent their house out, it would be appreciated. Would rather not haul mine up there being we will be there only one day. 3 respectable adults (up for debate) and 3 boys.

thanks

Tonka Bayt

There is a guy that rents in billhorn bay. Look at previous posts everything has been mentioned there. Good luck, fishing is really slow, will be tough bite.

Big group of guys out there weeks ago did really well. Had some buddies go up there this last weekend and they said that they only got 20 the whole weekend, both day and two diff, group of guys that i talked to

what do you use to get them? and where do you go. i am going be up there on the 12 and want to try fishing bsl would like a few tips. thanks

i am going to be up there fishing on friday the 12. never fished that lake any info would be great. i am not going to keep anything.

what wildman said x20! Sometimes you'll get on a good bite and just sit in one place and catch them all day, but usually you gotta move around a ton!

As far as presentation goes, I did really good on a couple of jigs I got from a guy that's on this forum. I don't know if I can post his name since I don't think he's an official sponsor. Basically a tiny hair jig. I did really good a couple of years ago by cutting open the belly of a tullie and taking out the mayfly larvae they were feeding on and putting them on the hook. It outfished the same presentation with a waxie at least 5-1.

attaboy fish......small baits with waxies also work ...just like for crappies only they will be 5-15 down in 25-40 fow.

My smoker is gonna get a good work out this year!

[Note From Admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

the guy in Bellhorn Him name is Tom, nice guy have known him for 20 years.

keith, is "that guy" still making those? I'm running a little short on jigs, they've been seeing alot of action the last couple of years!

I don't go there....here.

Your gonna have to find me somewhere else....good to see they are holding up for you.

I'm planning on hitting those tullies this weekend myself.

Was out yesterday and nothing is biting. Tried tullies with a hair jigs, everything, and nothing. Drilled several holes. Fishing is slow. In fact, I have never had much luck with the hair jigs?

Well Dude....went out today and hair was hot!

2010icefishing186.jpg

Maybe downsizing to a 100th oz.was the ticket.

Looks like about 35? Nice catch! How are you even able to fish a 100th oz jig? Keep the line straight? shocked

I use a 2 lb copoly line plus I'll add a bb sized split shot .

I did bust off on 2 brusiers yesterday but I'm thinking my drag was a bit tight....hitting them again this a.m. back later with the report.

Well dude..Sure glad you posted the pictures. Great idea. How many guys did you have to catch them, your usual 50? We were out on C B lake and did real well on waxes, killed the crappies but NO luck on BSL. Good luck to all. Hopefully this front will help with the overall bite.

Was out there yesterday, the crowd is getting thicker, showed up at 4am and my usual spot that ive been hitting this past year was packed with houses, mostly portables.

Fishing was slow for our group, had to drill alot of holes.

Tullies and crappies were slow, the most work i have had to do for tullies and crappies

Drilled my 1 hole away from the big groups and 1 for my partner....

The morning bite was the best...

Big Sandy North....no matter what I do I'm blamed for all of these guys out there so I may as well be honest if I'm gonna get whacked......oh we all used 100th oz hair jigs today. There's plenty of other guys who post about BSL and other close lakes.I'm jumpin in the frey....

50 guys....no 50 tullies yes...

2010icefishing200.jpg

and yesterday after we left the tullies we spanked slabs and gills and perch.

2010icefishing201.jpg

2010icefishing193.jpg

2010icefishing183.jpg

2010icefishing184.jpg

2010icefishing188.jpg

2010icefishing182.jpg

1194.jpg

Hey CK looks like you had a good day. We didnt get as many as you did but had fun.

Had my little neph out there on the ice with us and as soon as the sun came up he let out a big sream for us to help him with his fish, turned out to be a monster tullie.

Stayed out there all day with plans on staying overnight but with the bite slowing down we just packed up and left.

That's so cool to hear...the bite did slow but we stayed and picked off 15 after lunch.

So what is the story on the pout up there, I have never fished them or ate them but everyone says they are great. I did get one last year but lost it as soon as his head poped out the hole, If we had stayed out there lastnight I would have tried to get some as i herd they bite at night.