Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
evinrudespeed

Nichols Lake near Hwy 53

evinrudespeed    0
evinrudespeed

I haven't seen real good reports from the local Duluth area so I'm planning on driving a little farther North up Hwy53. Has anyone fished for crappies recently out of Nichols Lake? Is there a road plowed from the landing to the 30 foot hole? Any info would be helpful...I'll post after I hopefully catch my limit, thanks!!

only ice    0
only ice
I haven't seen real good reports from the local Duluth area so I'm planning on driving a little farther North up Hwy53. Has anyone fished for crappies recently out of Nichols Lake? Is there a road plowed from the landing to the 30 foot hole? Any info would be helpful...I'll post after I hopefully catch my limit, thanks!!
I have a place over on the South Shore. I havent fished it this year, but there is a road over and lake looked good with lots of trucks driving around.

evinrudespeed    0
evinrudespeed

Thanks "only ice"...I'll keep you posted for sure.

Kaslow    0
Kaslow

evin how did ya do? im thinking of heading out there tonight or tomorrow

tearin' lips    0
tearin' lips

I fished Nichols last year 2x. After the first time I told myself I would never fish it again...but I still did. Caught small, small crappies pretty much everywhere. I don't recall one crappie being bigger that 6". Couldn't find the bluegills in the lake either...

Steve Foss    0
Steve Foss

I fished Nichols last year 2x. After the first time I told myself I would never fish it again...but I still did. Caught small, small crappies pretty much everywhere. I don't recall one crappie being bigger that 6". Couldn't find the bluegills in the lake either...

With stunted pannies, first thing I thought of is that it sounds like a pike fishery could be going strong, and a quick look at the DNR Lake Finder survey data backs that up. Hmmmmm, tip-ups for early ice pike next year? I think so! Here it is with still nearly a month to go for laker season and already I'm thinking about first-ice pike next Thanksgiving. Always looking over the next horizon. gringrin

But where there are small panfish, there have to be some decent ones, too. smilesmile

loadmaster    27
loadmaster

I think I would drive a little bit up 53 and hit Murphy (Horse shoe) or one the local lakes in the area. Done good after season end never seem to do any good prior to that.>>>later the load

gardn184    0
gardn184

can't be any worse than leoria was lips, and did someone say big pike........I think I'm gonna have to beat you to that spot Mr. Foss :), or you could always come down and join

evinrudespeed    0
evinrudespeed

Kaslow-

I caught 3 perch (very small) and 3 crappies (two were keepers), but I threw back since I didn't have enough to eat. Caught everything in 15-18FOW with orange color lure and minnows...nothing on grubs. You might want to try the deeper whole during the day? Road conditions were great too and I was able to drive all around with my blazer...with the warmer weather it might get a little sketchy! Keep me posted, I might try again this weekend.

Kaslow    0
Kaslow

evin- instead of heading out there last night. i went out to caribou and finally got on the crappies. i was kinda shocked on how shallow i was to finally catch them at this time of season. but i did. did pretty good caught a few keepers as well small ones. but lost a some hogs that made my drag roar once they hit the bottom of the hole. i was catching them pretty shallow as well, thought that being in 10 fow at this time was weird fishing 5 to 6 feet under ice in the weeds just about. but ended up paying off for 2 nights of being skunked out there in deeper water.

tryintrout    0
tryintrout

ok first off i know this is a little late seeing as the ice is pretty much all gone by now, but i seen one of my favorite lakes mentioned and i knew i had to say something about it. This lake has an amazing early season crappie hole (the thirty foot hole). A friend of mine who has a place on the lake invites me to fish it with him often and on the last time we went we both limited out on 10-14 inche crappies all day. Not to mention a few nice pike to keep our lures fresh. So long story short, its an amazing crappie and pike lake... plus dont forget to try some great summer bass fishing.