• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

CROW HUNTING

ChompChomp_YANK

Did anyone get out for the 1st day of the crow season. Two of us went out yesterday and had a blast. We arrived at the 1st spot at 9:30 and got 4. The 2nd spot was a new spot that turned out to be a good one, we got 8 but should have had many more. The 3rd set only produced 2. The 4th set we never seen a bird. We ended the day at 2:00 with 14 egg eating black bandits.

E-calller? we've tried hutning them in bemidji with minimal luck; would give it a shot out here, but there are none!

jmnhunter, I use a fox pro with a bunch of crow sounds on it along with a few crow decoys and 1 owl decoy. It works great. If we dont have any action within 5-10 min. we will move to a new spot. But normally if you can hear crows in the area they will come and see what is up!!

mrklean after the first round of crow control i wait for things to calm down, i go out and pick em up ,when i used to have my old shorthair she would put em in a pile for me , then i strategically place em on trees in plain sight hangem by there head in a forked branch.Works well the wind blows they shake and move ,get set up and crank up the caller , they will come, those high fliers will come down to look when they see activity smash one thats in range dont worry about your dog spookin em seems like it makes em bolder when they see a dog runnin around with there buddy ,i used to bring em to my farmer buddy his barn cats put them to use . By theese comments though, dont get the wrong idea, they are a very formidle challenge its a great sport and a challenge to say the least no room for mistakes many hunters should try it they will be hooked!

anytime we used a ecaller it worked great; but when we were in bemidji we would get loners to fly over to check it out, but they wouldnt get bold enough probably because they could see anything.

Jmnhunter when you are set up are you on top of hill or the b ottom? if its hilly set up toward the top youll be closer to there altitude if they stay high or sit in tree quater mile away there educated , load up and go down the road 5 or so miles try it again, are you using an owl decoy ?if so put a crow decoy at is feet like he is chowing on it! that infureates em they love a good fight !the reason why they go after owls during the day is that mr owl picks em off there roost at night for a midnight snack.

How well does an empty McDonald's bag and some french fries work to bring them in? Seems that it works along the roads an awful lot.

Yeah anything that involves a free lunch, another thing thats easy ,is get a can of foam make a design similar to a gut pile and paint it with red paint easy to carry and only have to pay for it once.

I went out before work this morning and tryed a new spot. It was actually the job site that I am working on. The crows were going nutz, the homeowner told me to go and kill some!! ( dont have to tell me twice ) I grabbed my call and a hand full of schells and walked down in the woods. I turned the call on and within 20 min. I got 9 birds with 11 shots. Then after work I tryed again further down the road, and got 4 more with 7 shots. Another 13 to add to the tally. Me and the kid will be going out tomorrow am. so he can get some shootin in.

Way to go Chomp!have a good shoot tomorrow!our season is over here feb 28,in northwest illinois, so im going shed huntin instead ,found some real hawgs this past week two sets 140 class and a 165 hawg typical!

The kid threw some lead today, we only got 3 but should have had more. We only had time for 1 set so it wasn't too bad. The kids are off next week so we are headin up to the cabin to do some fishin, might bring the guns and call with just in case we see some birds.

Nail them killers every chance ya can!! people dont realize every crow ya kill you are savin seven other birds lives!what turned me into a crow hunter is when i seen em going into a woodduck box and coming out with the chicks and flying off, thats what made me decide to do something!

well i think i'm goign to try some crow hunting in PR next weekend; make 4-6 decoys out of black socks and clothe hangers; try to find an owl decoy on a stake and put the ecaller nearby and see what happens.

do you guys let the 1st crow (the scout) go or do you shoot him and wait for the others to come by?

how long do you give it after you shoot a few times?

Try to let him circle and call as long as you can ,he'll bring in more targets,make sure youre hid well, evergreens work great.once you get em over ya the fun begins usaully they keep comin if they havent been educated before, one good tip i found out dont crank that caller up till ya got youre gun in hand loaded ,they come quick!

We went to the cabin and I decided not to bring the guns. What a mistake they were everywhere!! Hope to get out later this week and blast a few (DOZEN)

jmnhunter, If 1 comes in we shoot it! I have had alot of birds circle and see somthing that they dont like and take off, so I tell anybody that hunts with me if they get a shot to take it!! Its not like its a flock of green heads, and if you miss o well more will come grin

• 2 weeks later...

My buddy steve and I got out for some shootin on thurs morning. I didnt care for the wind but the season is comming to the end. We ended up with 10 black bandits. I think I need to find some new spots because we are seeing less birds in the areas we hunt. We use to get 20-30 birds a day, but I think our best day this year has only been 14 birds. Better hurry up and get some action season ends on the 31st. We are going to get out a couple more times this week!!!

All you guys are missing out! Went out by my self this morning and tryed 2 new spots the 1st spot wasnt any good but the 2nd I will be going back to I got 6 in about 1 1/2 hours. Steve and I are going out again tomorrow am. Only 2 days left!!!

Steve and I went out this morning and had the best day of the season. The 1st spot produced 17 birds, 2nd spot only had 1 bird come in with no shots fired, 3rd spot we got 10 and the 4th and final spot we got 1. 28 for the day!! We are going to hit it hard all day tomorrow to close the season out.

Steve, Mike and I Hit it hard today. We did 5 different spots the worst spot only gave up 2 and the best spot 14!! We started at about 8 am and quit at 2:30 with 34 birds, not a bad way to end the season!!

I totaled up how many we got for the march season 113 That should help save some baby ducklings grin

That's a lot of crows! That really sounds like a good time. I may have to try it out.