• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

EVREYONE

got the blues or what???

Ive been working so much no time for fishin

I still think and this is reports from my 15 yr old son but the rum river is still to high for sucker action .

The lakes should be ice free this week

Little Elk has some ice on it yet also the water is once again over the top of the little dam on the south end due to the rain we had.

WON"T BE LONG NOW.....COME ON OPEN WATER

blue has some open water but 2/3 is still covered if not a little more,,,but it will be gone by the weekend is my guess

I did meet a guy at the launch on blue that was launching a paddle type boat heading for the ice to go ice fishing....crazy is what I thought since Wed or Thurs I will be open water fishing the same lake

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Well the panneis are biting in the early ice out spots! Caught tons of gills and crappies today and got a good tan as well. Kept 3 crappies and 15 gills to fry up for inlaws. Good luck and eat well!

Hmmm, Got the boat out the other day. Sounds like I better get the motor on it this weekend. Glad you had a good outing. MM78

Well the panneis are biting in the early ice out spots! Caught tons of gills and crappies today and got a good tan as well. Kept 3 crappies and 15 gills to fry up for inlaws. Good luck and eat well!

Just heard the same from someone who has been able to fish. It sounds like if you can get some water to fish, there's fish to catch.

I'm in turkey huntin mode right now - or car fixing mode. Just got word a car is limping home from a meet and greet with a deer.

Good luck out there.

Well I went fish for crappies and gills today. I did not catch one gill which is odd, but boy did the crappies turn on. I caught and released well over 200 nothing huge but I did get one nice 11 incher and could have had limit of 9.5 to 10 inchers. Most were in the 7 to 9 inch range. For gear i was using a flu flu jig tipped with gulp and a weighted slip bobber. I did see one boat on the lake today. This weekend I think I may take out my boat out. Good luck and eat well!

• Thumbs Up 1

Tried any area lake today for a few hours and did pretty well with the sunfish. Ended up catching around 50, most of them late morning/early afternoon, and only a few later on. Almost all of them were 6-8 inches, with many 7-8 inch sunfish, and only a couple smaller and none bigger. Ended up fishing from around 11:30 or so-5:15. Was fishing in some shallow mud using assorted plastics. Have fun, and good luck fishing!

I also caught a few not as many but it was good to get my dad out fishing. all fish were catch and release for us again. Trapping I was down there for a bit with my dad. Glad you caught some!

• Thumbs Up 1

I went fishing to day to elk lake caught some sunfish nothing to laugh at 5-8 inchers and caught some crappies but not to many caught my biggest one today so far 11 and 1/2 inches. The one thing that bugged me today was how rude people are. A guy elbows his way in between me and another guy who had been fishing there. Then the guy who elbows his way in calls his kid out of the car. Well the kid could cast better then his old man, but I could not believe it.

Good luck

• Thumbs Up 1

yeah elk can be a fun place where everyone enjoys catching fish or it can be just groess with the way some people act like they are better than you and they know a secret that you don't......makes me kinda laugh at how some people act!!

Got up early this morning so I could fish! Boy that was a good idea. LOL. It felt like it was winter I could have used the fish house. Caught some not to many, but its fun to pull in fish. I was at elk again. Today I ran into 2 really nice people so that makes up for the other day. The crappies were 5-8 inches i caught today and the gills were about the same size as the crappies. I was using a flu flu and gulp. Bobber set at most about 10 inches down to the jig. If you do fish elk at ridgewood bay resort please dont bring you own drinks or food support the resort, because they dont have to let us fish for free.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Well I got the bost out and found the gills on nests in the shallows. Please catch and release them big males.

• Thumbs Up 1

Went out to a local lake tonight for some walleye fishing however that didn't work but was happy to find the big sunnies were hungry they ended up biteing till 11:30 pm wich was a little diffrent kept 7 for a meal between the 2 of us we caught around 75 and missed alot more.

• 2 weeks later...

The Rum is finally getting fishable current wise. Still high but the fish are getting active on the current seams. Wear LOTS of deet though. eek

• 1 month later...

Skipped the Rum for fishing today since the water is so danged muddy and went to a local lake instead.

Got out early to beat the heat on what looked like a stellar top water morning only find out - not so much. Surface temps were 75-77 while we were out. The only thing we could get going shallow was small bass, pannies and a small walleye on crappie jigs under bobbers.

We headed out to the outside weedline and started cranking diving cranks and picked up an 'eye and a pike. We changed to lipless rattle baits and moved up a bit closer to the weeds. Well, we found just about everything by doing that. Pike, bass, and a couple 'eyes.

With the bass in their post spawn/summer/lazy mood I was looking for that school packed in tight on a spot and found them with the rattle bait and then we "extracted" about a dozen 18 inchers from one small spot with a jig worm. That was fun.

We pupped out and went home around Noonish. It turned out to be a good day after a slow start.

• 4 weeks later...

Well the water temps and levels have risen for sure since my last time out. The Rum is at spring time flood stage and moving fast. Not fishable in my opinion unless you have to fish and it's the only place you can go. Don't expect much.

The lake we went to last night was high also - highest I've ever seen it. The surface temp was 80 degrees. In areas where weeds matted on the surface only 3 weeks ago, they're submerged now.

As we're usually looking for a top water bite whenever we get out for a few hours, we were again denied. The fish weren't interested. We did wind up finding a nice school of bass on the weedline though that kept us entertained with about 15 fish from 12 to 19 inches. Texas rigged worms and jig and craw were producing most of the tail walking action after they were discovered via Shad Rap.

• 3 weeks later...

Went out to Coon Lake last Sunday for a few hours in the evening. Surface water was just about 80 degrees.

We started deep and fished a couple key spots but even on a Sunday evening it was 'take a number' on the better spots. I was suprised to see the number of boats out and all kind of keeping an eye on the other guys and waiting for an opportunity to fish an area. The shallows were really no different.

We fished the weedlines, flats, reeds, and docks. Not always our best spots due to others being on their best spots too wink but some good ones that should have produced some bass and possibly pike. The docks were the only payout and a bit chinsey at that. A couple quality fish were pulled but more small ones than large. Evidence of catch and release was also evident on a few of the fish.

So for what it's worth, my next outing will be somewhere else.

I got out for a couple hours on Sunday out on Spectacle Lake near princeton and caught a few decent to small bass but was mostly out for a mind break.....found the fish on a deep weedline in 15-20ft

Thought I would get out on The lake(Little Elk) tonight with Joey and try and relax spent about an hour and a half fishing docks.

Caught several small bass and miss a few the bite was kinda light and even this one bit really light. The dock bite has been going good from the others I have talked too. 3x salamander was the ticket tonight.full-15313-11617-img00082_20110826_2014.

WOW what a beautiful morning to be out on the water pounded the bass off the docks still getting them on 3x salamanders drk blue fleck and motor oil powerworms.

We got 14 nice bass most in the 16-18 inch range and one snot rocket

hey elwood, i just moved up to big lake last weekend. trade you a couple bass spots for a night of flathead huntin!

Thats not a fair trade... bass are easy to come by grin but I'll get you flattin for a evening.

Fishahulic at least your close by come spearing season I'll show you some good spearing spots...

We got dozen or so more bass again tonight docks are poppin and they are still smacking the lizzards

sounds good to me. i guess if yer nice enuf to get me out flathead fishin i wont embarress you TOO bad at the get-to-gator...;)

Bass are still biting got 14 of them in 2.5 hrs still working the docks but they arnt as agressive as the other day they wanted a powerworm slowly dragged across the bottom and they would just pick it up and start swimming away with it. had to really watch the line for bite detection.

• 1 month later...

Water temps on Little Elk are 59 degrees and the eyes havent quite started yet but the bass are still going strong under the docks still seem to be the best