• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

North Lida Lake Fishing Reports

hey fisherdog last weekend was out to where u found those gills and slabbs last year drilled a few holes but found nothin graffed a few fish but no bites u been out there yet.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fisherdog19

• Skitterpop

• scsavre

• madbomber10

it got thrown out when people started drilling 40 holes in a 30' x 40' and want to stake a claim.

We were fishing a huge flat that was about 2600 feet long by 1000 feet wide. Not exactly prime drop off spots or an inside corner. I think the ability to scout an area has turned into "hey their fishing over there so let's go there too".

A 30' x 40' area would not be in my eyes wanting to stake a claim as there was plenty of room around us. The same thing happens up on Upper Red Lake so maybe I should just except the fact most can't find fish for themselves or drill their own holes.

It was almost better when it was too cold to fish outside as most fsih vultures tended to hide in their fish houses and not move all day.

I sometimes wonder what people are thinking. I like to drill a ton of holes and move around to find fish. If I have 25 30 holes maybe I am taking up more than my fair share of ice. Who knows? I know I wouldnt fish someone elses holes. But if I am sitting down and working just a couple of holes and someone comes up and fishes one of my outer holes I dont really mind too much. If they have an auger I think they should punch their own. I guess it is just like someone holding on your marker in open water. Maybe not something we would do, but an opportunity for someone else.

Years ago Before I got an auger I would kick open the frozen holes, if I couldnt I would ask someone if I could use an outer hole, or if they could punch me one. Usually if I didnt have the auger I didnt go fishing though.

By the way, Lida should be heating up.

Whats better, someone using the drilled holes or someone coming in and drilling 20-30 of their own at prime time. I have had it done both ways. Most of the time, if I drilled a bunch your more than wlecome to use em. I have seen guy come close to a fist fight over a hole in the ice. Kind of goofy.

Skitterpop are you sure you werent fishing in and around holes that were there from the day before. LOL. I WOULD HAVE TO SAY YES. Although it was not me out there Your spot is not so secret you know. I know some people that were out there and im pretty sure they dont need you to find them fish they can do that on there own.

I feel the same way as long as you ask if I don't mind you using them. Nobody asked yesterday. And yes, the guy had his auger with him so he was very capable of scouting his own area.

Oh well, anyways, we did catch quite a few crappies and sunnies and also was checked by the local game warden.

By the way, I asked how much the fine was for having a crappie under 11". That will cost you $135 per fish. Hope you bring an accurate tape measure to Lida!

Oh and sorry to be so truthfull. I also agree with you though that people dont have to come out at prime time and drill holes right next to you either.

When we set up shop in the morning NOBODY was around us. There was a large group over towards bass harbor and then that group broke up and little by little they found us. I should have thrown my fish in a bucket so there was not reason to stop. My bad choice I guess. And no, I brought my own auger and drilled my own holes. Maybe the people you know can find their own fish but I don't think it was your friends I was dealing with smile.

Whats better, someone using the drilled holes or someone coming in and drilling 20-30 of their own at prime time. I have had it done both ways. Most of the time, if I drilled a bunch your more than wlecome to use em. I have seen guy come close to a fist fight over a hole in the ice. Kind of goofy.

I could not agree with you more! I do appreciate it though when someone shows respect to you by asking first.

May head up there tomorrow. Just wondering if I should leave the wheeler and hoof it. Is the shoreline holding up after todays heat wave?

just thought i would let you guys know that i was out there also sat and sunday and saw the game warden write up several people for having fish that were to small. today i believe i was fishing in the spot that you are all taking about and i over heard some guys talking that they didnt have a tape and were guessing that there takle box was about 12inches so they were using that. i dont understand how people can come and fish on lakes with size restriction and not bring a bump board.

I'd have to agree on the etiquette thing. If I scout for fish and drill a bunch of holes to use so I can hole hop and fish the area, I would not appreciate someone coming in on me and fishing the holes I worked hard to drill. They're welcome to drill their own around the area, but I think it's rude to move in on people while they are fishing and off by themselves. There are plenty of folks out there that can't find their own fish and will do exactly what has been described. Then you have the community spots where there ar so many holes that are already open, you can't even fish them all!

Not been there yet, might be a little early yet. Probably won't get there, I'll be gone the next two weekends and was gone this weekend. Try south of there about 150 yards. Don't be afraid to try 18+ fow.

Thanks holmsvc. I watched the weather and decided to wait until tomorrow to head up. My son does not have any rain gear.

I have to agree.Sounds pretty ignorant for someone to use holes that were occupied and that someone else drilled.But I also have to say that thats what you get when you advertise the fish are biting by leaving them lay on the ice in plain sight.Personally my fish are hidden and noones gonna see them unless I want them to.If people ask how the fish are biting I say I haven't caught a thing and usually they leave.

Same thing with giving out names of lakes where the fish are biting.You tell someone and you can bet there will be a crowd there.Me myself I've been hammering Crappies and walleye all winter.Where?Secret lake!!

That's exactly why I fish lakes that nobody else does. Somtimes it's worth it and sometimes you get skunked but you'll never know unless you try. I found one more lake that produces crappies I can put on my list this year. I want to hit 2 more this week and give them a shot. You never know until you try.

Leech and Rooster, I am going to need the names and coordinates of those lakes.

The crappies have been good to me this year. I think I will give it one last ice fishing try. I think it might be time to bring the 4 wheeler back out tho. Waxies a couple hours before dark is what worked 2 weeks ago for me. Is there much of an mid day bite going yet?

I haven't tried during mid day, been using minnows at sunset and after dark. But everyone knows it varies from lake to lake.

ATV's are a must unless you are going to hoof it, the shorelines are getting pretty beat up. I crossed from one lake to another last night and it looked scary to say the least, but we did it anyways. Didn't find any fish in that other lake but oh well, it was worth a shot.

Thanks leech.

When I drive up 3 hrs to the cabin in the winter I sure as heck am going to fish the day. Its fish or hang out with my wife indoors. I think ill fish.

Hopefully I can find some action here and there. Fish should be starting to move around.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a current condition of the north access onto Lida and the condition of the ice? Last Saturday it was a bit beat up and I want to make it out one more time before those warm temps next week melt away the ice fishing season. I plan on walking out. By the way, a friend of mine tried walking out onto Middle Cormorant yesterday and he busted through 3 times and turned around.

A friend and I were on Big Cormorant last Saturday.We used the wheelers and got on at the north access there was 9-13 inches of VERY slippery ice...bring your cleats !!!The ice had pulled away from shore about a foot but with warmer temps and sunshine next week it will deteriorate fast. This was our last time on the ice this year. We both love to ice fish but neither of us wants to get our feet wet !!!!I have a few improvements to make on the old Voyager and a light system for the 6800 to help get me through next seven months of bad ice.

The ice conditions are way different than last Saturday, at this point it changes from the morning to the afternoon and is deteriorating fast.

I was going to come up this weekend. Not worth it. I will wait until open water, shortly.

I dont have it in me to be crawling out on fallen tree bridges to get out onto the ice like I used to. Not worth it.

Be safe, sounds like warm weather is coming.

After reading the comments and listening to the wind I guess the smart thing to do is put the auger away. I'm thinking with the wind blowing the ice has got to be taking a beating and shifting around weakening it. Knowing my luck if I did go tomorrow, the north winds would push the ice back to the south shore and I'm getting wet trying to leave the lake from the north side. I wish I had not bought that tub of 250 waxies the other week. Maybe they will last in the cold basement for usage after ice off. Sure was a short late ice season this year. I do believe this will be a good thing since some lakes were in line for winterkill with all of the early snow we had. By the way, Gander Mtn. in Fargo had really good deals on end of the season ice fishing gear. Bought a $50 rod/reel for $15!

• 1 month later...

So whats going on ,on lake Lida....My family used to have a cabin on kansas point but its been awhile so,I'm wondering if the pan fishing is doing alright....And what might be a good spot to start looking....thanx

Welcome to the site. You can read through the reports as well as go back through the pages and find Lida posts.

Lida has been and always will be a solid choice for panfish. Things haven't changed that much over the years, so you might be able to do the things you did when you had a place on the lake. With all that being said, there were 25 boats in the bass harbor area a week or so ago.

I'm sure someone else has more info to offer.

• 2 weeks later...

Am looking for the current water temp and lake level status for Lida. I have an upcoming trip to the lake in a few weeks and am curious on the lake conditions.