• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Medicine Lake Fishing Reports

notsogoodfisherman

This is the first season I have used the public access on Medicine Lake. I cannot believe how horrible that launch is. Has the launch always been so shallow? The lake seems to be very low this year. What have previous seasons been like? Is this normal for Medicine Lake?

I never used it till this year either. It is very low, but I have seen some big bass boats with big motors use it. I noticed the sign says shallow launch and it looks like its been there a while. i would think its always been shallow but low water levels have made it worse. yeah its a bear to launch even my 17 foot boat on a bunk trailer. i usually end up using my net as a push pole to get it to float off the trailer, cuz i dont want to back my truck in anymore.

it's a bad access and most of the boaters have no respect for others as you will see if you go out there much

yeah about respect. the first time i went there. i had to wait 20 minutes for a old couple to unload there inflatable raft thing with a 10 horse on it. then get the mooring bouy for his sailboat in the thing. then drag it to the launch side of the dock. then his wife pulled forward about 10 feet got out. and helped him figure out a life jacket and get rope from the truck for the mooring bouy. all while i sat patiently waiting without saying a word. it would of been fine but they launched in the middle of a 2 spot launch. I forgot to mention that i was there when they pulled up, just finsihing getting my stuff in order before using the launch and they pulled in front of me without asking. I can launch my boat by myself in about a minute or 2 and be out of the way for the next guy. so this really erked me. just cuz you live on the lake doesnt mean your entitle to a three rivers park acces for as long as you feel necesary. I normally could care less if people take a bit to get there boat in the water. I understand that people are new to boating or backing trailers or they just arent that great at it. i get it. it takes practice, but this stuff can be avoided. Just a long rant, sorry. happy fishing

The thing to remember is there is only one launch on the second biggest launch in hennepin county. If you go on any weekend you have to wait about 30 minutes. Not fun. Try a weeknight, it's not as bad. As far as the quality of the ramp, not good. It is way to shallow for the majority of the boats that launch. Most people have to walk there boats out to the weedline before the can start their engine.

I lived in some apartments on the lake 3 years ago. The launch was shallow then, but it was possible to launch your boat. The bigger problem, at least then, was how shallow it got about 30-40 feet from shore. You could see pencil grass, so you knew it was shallow, but you had to be careful not to get stuck.

If it weren't for power loaders, there wouldn't be ANY water at that access! winklaugh

Sorry, couldn't resist. smile

• 6 months later...

any one know where to catch crappies or wallys on medican lake. i tryed fishing there for a bit tonight but no luck. that was my first time. i was just wondering if anyone had any tips or good spots ya know of. any tips would be great. thanks

Just follow the houses. I was out there on Saturday for an hour, took my 3yr old son out since it was nice. Got 3 little crappies (that's the only size you'll find on the lake) out from the main point on the west side of the lake, straight out from the access. Marked alotta fish. Just hop around checking every hole that's already been drilled, you'll find fish.

Walleyes, I know they get a few out from the beach on the south side of the lake. Also try some of the sunken islands out in the main part of the lake. Not sure on depth

I have been doing ok during the day on the base of the drop off surrounding structure. Depending on where your at it could be anywhere from 20-30 feet.

Otherwise, if you can get on the edge of a weedline there is a good bite there too. This is a better bet for the evening.

I have never fished walleyes on Medicine but I have tipup fished for northerns and spent countless hours chasing bluegills and crappies.

Stop at Harty's, buy some bait and take a look at his lake map. You'll see a few real deep holes that always have crappies stacked in them. Joe is also very free with his recommendations. The houses are usually a dead giveaway but there are a couple of slightly shallower holes that usually don't have any permanents on them.

I was out yesterday for the first time this winter and had 10 crappies in the bucket in fairly short order. I wish they had been a bit larger but 4 of them were real nice so not too bad. I caught the biggest on a crappie minnow but that was the only bite on the bobber rod. Everything else including a bunch of throwbacks came on spring bobber rods with wax worms. Electronics really help as you typically want to fish the top fish in the stack as they are more aggressive. Yesterday, my better fish came from lower in the column but I love to watch those crappies come racing up at the bait.

Moved to my favorite bluegill spot and caught an additional 5 crappies that I would have loved to have in the bucket. They were whites (stacked fish tend to be blacks)and were larger than a few in the bucket but back they went. Only managed to coax a couple of good bluegills into the bucket and called it a pretty successful day for the maiden voyage of the year.

Sounds like you had a pretty decent trip out there.

Joe is definitely a great person to ask. After all hes on the lake probably more than anyone else.

Hey Tripleplay, Thanks for the report. I haven't been out to Medicine for a couple years now. Sounds like Medicine is still providing some decent action. I may have to make a trip out there. Did you happen to run into Derrick?

Tightlines

Hit the lake after work last night. Very slow bite. we marked fish in 30ft all night but only caught a few. All caught came on glow forage minnows tipped with minnow heads.

Tripleplay, I have been fishing medicine for 5 years now and have yet to get a white out of there. Caught probably 500 black crappie but not a single whitie yet. What depth are you getting them at? Are they suspended? I always have my flasher with and keep an eye out higher in the water column.

I've caught a few white crappies out of Medicine and they have been about double the size of all the little black crappies. Ive always caught mine in 30fow suspended right with the black crappies. Thats about as specific as I want to get. wink

I'm not an expert but the ones I was catching shallower definitely looked lighter and different than the deeper water, suspended ones. My best crappie on Medicine came out of a shallower, bluegill spot and was definitely a white. That stated with the numbers of crappies suspending I can't imagine that there isn't a mix of some whites in with all of the blacks.

This was in about 20-22 ft and they weren't suspended but more related to the bottom with the bluegills.

Metrojoe----I did not see Derrick but I have to admit I was pretty focused on fishing. I had a limited amount of time and I hadn't been on the ice yet so there was an itch that definitely needed scratchin!

Tripleplay, I have been fishing medicine for 5 years now and have yet to get a white out of there. Caught probably 500 black crappie but not a single whitie yet. What depth are you getting them at? Are they suspended? I always have my flasher with and keep an eye out higher in the water column.

The ones I've caught have been on shallower, weedy humps as opposed to deep, rock or mud humps. If you do manage to catch one they are twice the size of the black crappies.

That's what I've always heard. I guess I pretty much gave up on the lake after first ice last year. Pretty much the only time I go now is if I'm after pike or bass or if my 3 yr old son wants to go. I got sick of catching cookie-cutter crappies. 3 years ago I use to be able to get some 9-10"ers mixed in with the little guys, but not so the last few years. Guess I'll have to give it an honest effort again one of these days.

Out today-

Nothing worthwhile but a ton of action! Medicine Lake Perch galore! everything was very small but I'd say I caught around 40 perch right off the bottom in about 15 FOW today in 2 hrs!

out yesterday in 34 fow, action was pretty slow until sunset then pick up nonstop for an hour. all were crappies and were very small.

want to fish the tournament but i might be up north fishing this weekend instead. does anyone know a link to get info on the tournament? thanks