• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Things to do on the big pond

It now looks like the wait won't be as long as we've been dreading...the Iceman cometh! The fishing and the weather were both near perfect thru the fall, and with this cold we won't be waiting to long for good ice.

Have a little time here now so I thought I might type a bit for those of you who may be pondering the Lake of the Woods. I won't get into any details, just an overview of options, where to access the lake, and a few thoughts on where, when, and sometimes how! I will just cover the U.S side of the lake from the Baudette area over to the warroad side. Of course this is all IMHO...but I'll try.

First of all no ice is ever safe, this lake is NO exception at any time of winter. Their are roads to drive on, and you can snowmobile to heaven on earth here, but please always use caution, error on the side of life.

For folks who want to do the resort thing you have a lot's of resort's here that will cater to your needs and budget. If you want to fish a specific area check with the various operators to see where they may put you. It can be way good in one area of the lake compared to another for weeks at a time. Packages with heated house, cabin and tracked vehicle transportation, sleeper houses, a house for the day, virtually anything for your excursion is do-able if you're so inclined.... but for those of you that like to do-it-yourself here goes!

The early early ice.... I love to catch big pike, once you can walk on the ice I'm out there. The early ice pike bite isn't quite as good as the late ice or the spring but it can be darn good at times, with a good shot at truly big fish. I like Zippel bay and it usually has the first "safe" ice, 4-mile/Bostic bay areas/spots are good too. Tip-ups and dead baits for me usually, but lots of fish are caught with suckers and other live baits. I also love them Walleyes early and Four mile bay has a great early ice bite for both pike and walleyes, it is however a good walk to the fishing areas from either the wigwam or morris point resorts, once the ice is safe for sled/atv the villages pop-up. Other spots for early walkouts are on the river, and out front of Morris and the Graceton beach area. Warroad is another option to walk out from. Great pike fishing on this end of the lake, once walkable folks go out from the warroad ramp area and springsteel. You can also get walleye here thru the season. When the ice is safe for travel by sled/atv your options open up wide all over the lake....thats a whole other story.... so we'll jump ahead to later when the ice is considered "safe" for vehicles.

Starting from the east side of the lake we will work our way west.

North of Baudette where the Rainy river dumps into the lake you have the Adrian's access. this is a plowed road maintained by the resort's, there is a 5 dollar fee payable at Adrians resort. This road takes you across 4-mile bay, over pine island to a system of roads and tracks that can get you around the areas of the famous Lighthouse and Morris gaps on the east and west ends of Pine island respectively. Use extreme caution if you are venturing near the gaps as current here makes the ice do strange things, if you stay away from the gaps your okay, Ask at Adrian's when you pay and they'll let you know what's up. The walleye fishing here can be great at times. Fishing usually best the earlier the better, then it kinda peters out here towards mid-winter, then picks-up again for the late ice season. I rarely fish here after about 1/10 or so, but early it can be awesome. The fishing was excellent this fall in the river this year so I think it will be great over here this year, early. Try 14-18ft, or even shallower early and late in the day, moving deeper for mid-day action. Standard L.O.W tactics work well here, {more on this later} you will get walleye, sauger, perch, and some pike, and burbot, maybe a sturgeon. If you're coming up early or late expect quality fishing here ...if coming here mid-winter it will be tougher.

Zippel bay resort north of Williams plows a road, you pay 5 bucks here also. This and the Pine/Morris point area are my favorite early ice walleye areas, and they usually have the quickest "safe" ice. The Zippel road takes you out Zippel bay to the lake, tracks branch off east and west. Once again fishing here is best early and late in the season, but seems to stay good a little longer than the Pine island area. You also have deeper water closer to shore here. Good mix of fishes here too. Like Pine we fish shallower early and late in the day and move deeper mid-day. The past few years I've put my permanent houses here each winter till Babbler's road is open. Usually sits in 17ft or so, mid-day we go out to 28ft + with portables.

Long point resorts road is also 5 bucks. This area of the lake is usually a pretty decent area thru the majority of the winter. I like over near the twin islands, but the fishing can be pretty good all through here. Seen many large walleyes caught off steep break n/nw of islands. One of my favorite spots for big wally's. Fishing here is usually reliable, but can be spotty, when they're here, it can be fantastic!

Off of Rocky point you have Babbler's lake road, again 5 beans. This road takes you out on the main lake to the well known reefs like arnesons and 16 mile reefs, some years you can get over to other reefs off this road but like all of these roads it is all dependent on snow depth and what your driving. Great fishing here on the reefs and the deepwater flats. Lot's of not so well known rocks and reefs, some big, some small, some secret! to search out too. We move our permanent houses over west here once the road is opened. The fishing can be very good on the reefs and just off the reefs thru the winter. we usually fish reefs early and late, but it can go all day. Don't overlook deepwater flats, some of my best fish come from 33-36ft of water out this way. Don't be surprised if they come in suspended well off the bottom out here either, and these are usually very nice Walleye that do. I usually have the permanents on deepwater somewhere out here shortly after this road is opened. We then reef hop with portables morning and evenings. This is usually the last road opened up, most years it's shortly after new years. Argueably the lakes most reliable area, especially in mid-winter. A little bit of everything here....reefs, flats, shoreline and more reefs and flats. Also very crowded on weekends. I've seen days when their musta been 200 vehicles on 16 mile reef. Good mix of walleye,sauger and perch near the reefs. The last few years I have spent a bit more time over the flats, with much success. Good mix of wally's and saugers, and also some very nice jumbo perch. Yum!

North of Warroad you have Springsteel resort's road, again 5 bucks. this road takes you usually over to the south tip of buffalo point. This area's walleye fishing is somewhat overshadowed by other area's of the pond, but the fishing is usually pretty good early in the season, somewhat reliable thru the winter, and the last few years the bite has been way good on the late ice off of S. buffalo. If you want big pike this is the side of the lake to fish, especially march thru ice out. Sometimes you can get to 5 mile reef via trails out of springsteel, Warroad or swift ditch, all depends on snow. For you pike fisherman you can most years follow tracks out of the Warroad public access to fish the south shore/swift ditch area. Near world class pike action, for very large fish....a whole other story!!!!

Snowmobilers.... Consider long-range trips to the reefs out near Knight/Bridges/Garden islands, this is no doubt my favorite place to be on the lake, the crowds are at most sparse even on the more well known rockpiles. Very few hut operators run trips out here due to the mileage involved, though a few do. phenomenal action and no crowds in site....heaven. Lot's of structure, some well known, some not so well known. Try it! Stoney point and the "fishery" area's are also lightly fished with great potential.

As for tackle and such, reverse jigs under bobber's are standard with most folks. Gold, green, pink, white, and glows, Jig-o Bits/Rock'n'roll types work about as good as anything on the bobber rod, but by all means bring every color and style you prefer. I like metallics on cloudy days and colors/glows on sunny days. Pimples and the like have they're place, but nothing outfishies those AE jrs in perch or gold, or an 1/8 ounce airplane/flyer jig {most times!}. 9 times out of 10 to start off I'm running gold reverse jig/shiner under a deadstick or bobber on 1 line, AE jr with minnowhead or an airplane jig tipped with shiner on the other. When the fishing is tough, I break out a small Cicada and tip it with a minnow head. Everyone has their favorite baits/tactics, these have worked pretty well here for me over the years. Watch your flashers as many fish come in well off the bottom, usually pretty nice ones too.

My big game plan for the year is the same as I've been doing the last few years. First- Pike fishing on Zippel and 4-mile bay, probably by next weekend. Then comes that walleye bite at Pine/Morris and Zippel bay areas. Then Babblers road till mid-march or so. And finally, when the big pike start going I'm out of Warroad fishing them, usually till ice-out. Add a few trips across the lake by sled to those awesome rockpiles, couple trips to upper Red lake for crappies, a day or 3 on the Red river late, and my yearly Lake trout trip on Whitefish bay, and I'll be back in the boat in no time....lol...I can wait. It's gonna be another great winter of fishing on the Lake of the Woods!

I will keep you folks posted as to ice conditions and the bite as the winter progress's. With the forecast we have I am sure I'll at least be walking out somewhere to fish by Dec. 8th. I live on the roseau river and there is ice shore to shore today. It won't be long now, let's hope we don't get those big winds that bust up the ice.

Maybe see ya on the ice....fisky

A fresh heads up for winter 2003\4, it sounds like the new owners of Morris Point Lodge will have a plowed access/road this ice season.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fiskyknut

• northerndave

• curt quesnell

• Crappieman

well done fisky.....a great primer for<BR>lake of the woods. It should be printed <BR>off and saved for all new LOW ice anglers<P>curt quesnell

It won't be long now. Just went down to the river this morning and had a hard time to kick a hole in the ice. River here is completely frozen over. Let's pray that the winds stay down.

Thanks for the report. Keep us posted. Like Lip Ripper said let's hope the winds die down! We might be out there by December 8th! Don't worry Lip Ripper I will leave you some fish!

Thanks Fisky - that was great!!!<P>I have two trips planned this winter: the first one in mid January with friends, the second in mid February with my wife and kids. Both trips are to Rocky Point and will be in sleeper houses. This has gotten to be an annual tradition for us and we always catch fish and have a BLAST. <P>I can hardly wait, My mind goes from duck hunting to jigging Walleye instantly every year :-).<P>Next year my wife and I are planning on buying snowmachines and Otter Sleds with fish houses attached. I will still do the sleeper weekends because they are great. But I will be making a lot more trips to the big lake to freelance because I will be able to afford it and I only live 3 hours from Baudette. The resort weekends are great but they get a little spendy!<P>Thanks for the GREAT information.<P>Dr. Bob

Again Fishyknut,<BR>Great article. You do a great job at this forum keeping us up to date on all the "Big Pond" info.<P>I look forward to conversing once we get some hard water!!!<P>Fish Hard ~ Play Later<BR>

Great report. We will be up at Rocky point the weekend of Jan. 12th for the 5th year in a row. I hope the bite is on in that area. Can I ask a silly question? What do you mean by reverse jig? Do you mean reverse hooking the minnow at the dosal fin? or is this a LOW jig that I have not heard of?

crappieman<P>yes that is what i mean by "reverse jigs". was out checking traps this morning along the s. branch roseau river, ice is getting thicker...did'nt fall thru and got a dandy otter, my 2nd so far this year! <P>to the rest of you thanks for the thanks.<P>best regards....fisky

1st I wanted to thank fishyknut for the great post. I have a question though. I have been going up to low over the New Years for 5 years now. Have went out of Adrians and Zipple bay a few times each. Stay in a a portable and move around a lot. I have always caught lots of fish(some 25 fish days for each of us), they have vertually all been sagur. But with 3 guys in 5 years 4 days trips each time, I have never actually caught or even seen anybody catch a walley/sagur over 1 pound. And the one 1 pounder I saw was only 1 fish a few years ago, all others are .5 to .75 each. I have been useing the typical banana jigs and jigging spoons with fatheads. As you can see I need serious help. Could anybody recommend so productive methods to possible catch a little larger fish? Also i am not familer with rocky point, or Bobblers road. I thought I would give that a try this year. Could you tell me more specifially were it is and what you take to get there. <BR>Thanks

Babbler's road is right by Arneson's rocky point. I can't remember the highway. But it's a few miles west of Zippel. So maps show a town called Arneson right on the south shore. If you take that highway you'll see Babbler's. He has a sign up. He may not be open by then, but should be. His road goes to Gull Rock, Arneson's Reef, and 16 Mile Reef. You can also snowmobile to 12 mile.

Hi Bigeyes<BR>We have had success catching 3 to 4 lb walleyes up by rocky point using gold rock and rolls. We would reverse hook a minnow or hook it through the lips. I know other methods work well also, but I never go up without several of these jigs.<BR>Good luck

Thanks for the info guys. I will give that area a try this year. I do not know what a rock and roll jig is though or where to get one or best size? Does anybody have a preference of where to fish, Gull rock, 16 mile reef or Arneson's reef.<P>Thanks

bigeyes<P>if you are catching only small saugers out<BR>of zipple or pine island you must be <BR>fishing deep, deep water. there are nice<BR>fish to be had....<P>you can try the old "fish shallow early and late" deal..start the day in 14 feet of water and fish there until 10..then go deep<BR>(25 to 34 feet) till about 2:30 then come <BR>back to the shallower water till quitting<BR>time. this is a good way to catch a few<BR>walleyes each trip..<P>rocky point is a whole different deal..<BR>huge rock reefs and deep expansive flats.<BR>it is easier to make yourself move around<BR>on this side of the lake. you dont have to<BR>travel far to find very different scenery<BR>underneath. its not as easy to fish the <BR>western side of the lake but fishing can<BR>be very good.<P>good luck whatever you decide....<P><BR>curt quesnell<BR>

Eyes,<BR>If you live in the cities, I get my rock and rolls from <BR>Wayzata Bait and Vados (sp?) on 65. I would have 1/16, 1/8 for the most part. Have a couple of 1/4 just in case.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the excellent info fiskynut! It's been many years since I fished lotw in the winter and this was a great refresher course. <p>[This message has been edited by wishiniwasfishin (edited 12-20-2001).]

Thanks for the info!!! That really helps a first timer like myself out. I'm booking my trip tomorrow, for the Feb. 15-17, hope the fishing is good. Does anyone recommend a resort to get out to 16 mile reef, or Stoney Point?? Thanks!!!<P>Good Luck,<BR>Rusty

Some friends and I have reserved a sleeper for Jan. 18-21, and we are going out of Warroad area. This will be our third year in a row, and what a blast. We are going to be mobile and fishing the areas around Buffalo Point, 12 mile, 5 mile, and other honey holes. I hope there is plenty of ice by then! We may be the first customers of the year if this weather continues!

arnesons is the most common resort to<BR>get to 16 mile reef. stoney is so very<BR>remote it matters more how you are getting<BR>around on the lake than where you are starting from. springsteel is 20 miles,<BR>probably 16 from arnesons, 20 from long<BR>point?<P>a great idea going to stoney, go with a <BR>group though.<P>curt quesnell

• 2 weeks later...

Great report. Really appreciated the info. I plan on heading up that way this coming Thursday or Friday. There is a access that is usually plowed right next to Wheeler's Point Resort. Who do I contact for info on that. I plan on using my sled and portable house. Appreciate any help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hola,<BR>Thanks for the info. I have been fishing out of Zipple for many years in the spring/summer. The bay is full of northerns and I havent seen any walleyes pulled out. We usually end up at the twin trees and troll shallow to deep till we find them. Would this be a good place in the winter? The other question is how the ice would be in the channel? As I recall the water flows rather fast around the light house and into the narrows of the channel.

mnsnowman<P>Hola, Que Tal?<BR>Sorry for the late reply, I was just going to bumpup this post and I saw your Question. Anyways, Yes Zippel is a good winter spot, as mentioned above it seems to peter out 'bout mid-january. I was on the Ice right near the lite at the end of the jetty a month ago, was walking out then fishing jacks. Alot more current in the spring of the year then in the fall, especially this year with the near record high water in June. Fished out in front of twin trees last week and it was still pretty decent fishing. As for walleyes in the bay itself, I've only seen one caught, last April during the pike tourney a guy caught a spawned out 27 incher on a sucker minnow. Must of run up one of the creeks the Pikes run in. They all can't spawn in the Rainy! You can get fish winter long at Zippel, but you might be better off going out of Babblers from now till mid to late March, usually start's to pick back up on the east end around then.<P>Fisky

Fisky,<BR>Thanks for the reply. Im not sure where Babblers is but I will look on the map to find it. I also got a tip from a friend that said Clements on the Rainy River is a good spot early and late winter. Any thoughts?<P>My lips are sealed

fiskyknut,<P>Thanks for all of the great information. I'll be on LOW mid-week through the weekend. The information from you and the other anglers ahould at least put me near fish. The rest is up to me.<P>Great forum!

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What do you mean by "reverse jig"? I would appreciate it if someone could explain it for the simple folk. We just booked our trip for Jan 16th at Riverview.

Term some folks use for any of a number of jigs. Jig-o-Bits, Rock'n Rollers, Gem'n eyes, ect. come to mind. These are usualy fished under a bobber or with a deadstick, minnow usually hooked thru the back of the minnow behind the dorsal fin, hence the name.<P>Fisky

• 2 weeks later...

MJR,<BR>The reverse jigs that I use are made by JR's tackle. They are gold or gold/red, and have worked excellent under an ice buster bobber. If you live anywhere near a Galyans they are currently running a clearance on all JR's Tackle for 97 cents. I picked up 10, 2 packs just to keep around for future years.<BR>I'll be heading up for the rest of the week in a couple of hours. Can't wait.