• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rum Report

I'm looking forward to August.. during the dog days water level is lower, and the bass fishing heats up when the lakes get slow. I didn't fish the Rum nearly enough last summer, but good to know you could still catch some right now if you want

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daze Off

• EBass

• Moses2531

• Johnnie15

My best days have come in early September, on Mepps No. 3 and skitter pops. I grew up in St Francis and if the river was not there I prob would have had a better grade point average..... The park across from the high school always turned out a few fish for me and in the fall it was not odd to catch 8+ fish an hour. The stretch from 22 to the Andover central park off of 7 is also some fantastic fishing

Got out this afternoon and we got a few hammer handles and a smallie that got off at the boat. Is there a landing at Andover Central Park? If so, how shallow is it between there and 22? Similar to the Anoka landing on north?

The central park has 2 canoe landings. What I've always done is drop off the canoe at the upstream landing, and drove my truck to the landing downstream. The way the river winds around, its a short walk back to the first landing and you still get about 3 hours of drifting and fishing. From 22 downstream to the andover park its pretty rocky and shallow in a lot of spots. I'm not sure you'd want to take a 14' boat with a 9 horse outboard there or anything larger than that...i have seen jon-boats in the park though. The stretch by bunker lake blvd is a lot slower and deeper and has really good fishing though.

is their anywhere in the Anoka are to launch a medium sized boat (16ft)? I saw on the dnr site that you can launch "small or medium sized craft" at the fairgrounds. How navigable is this area of the river?

The Anoka fairgrounds would be the launch you want to go to. It's no wake for the entire county of Anoka. You'll see the signs. It's deep for a few miles then starts to get shallow when the houses stop. But it's still not that shallow until later in the summer/fall. Then she gets real low.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Anyone know when the city is going to raise the water level above the dam?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Well I got out with my brother on the Rum River for some fishing. The walleyes are on the munch. It seemed that were hanging out in pockets of deeper right after some shallow fast moving water. We used crawlers on a lindy rig and 1/4 oz lead heads and 3 inch twister tails. We got more fish on the Jigs but once we fish a hole for while with the Jigs we soaked a crawler and caught a few more. The smallmouth were starting to get active and we got bite off by a few pike. The water seemed clear but if get the rain they think we could get it will be muddy and slow fishing with the Jigs for a little bit. Also heard they still get some walleyes up in Milaca at the dam. We fished the river just south of Milaca.

• 1 month later...

Found a nice crappie hole last night right at dusk south of the Anoka launch. Caught a half dozen 12" crappies and a couple rock bass. All released.

• 2 weeks later...

Have been on the Rum 4-5 times over the past week or 10 days for smallies with varying success. Fishing was predictably slow (4-7 fish/outing with only one fish at 17.5" and the rest were bank runners) while the water was up and dirty. Since the river dropped (nearly 2 ft in that time period) and cleared up it has gotten better in terms of both quality and numbers. Last Thursday I was out for just a couple hours and had 4 quality fish - 16.75", 17.0", 17.5", 20.25" (all measured on MSRD board with mouth closed and tail pinched). Would have kept fishing except starting battery conked out and I was quite a distance from the landing. Trolling motor battery too drained to jump it.

Nice Daze! I haven't been up there since last fall. May not get up their this year. Where is the pic of said 20"?

Nice job Daze off.

Spent some time on the Rum river myself this weekend and with the cooler temps and the rain we got on Saturday it really slowed the bite down but there still was quality fish to be caught.

Walleye- We went for walleyes early morning with limited success. We have our best luck between 1pm and 4 pm fishing the shaded areas by log jams. Spinners works well tipped with crawler and leech.

Smallmouth Bass- We had our best luck in the deeper pools pulling DT-Series Rapala. They worked really well when you would pull these baits through the thick timber. These bass are hanging tight to log jams in deep water areas but once you figure out what there up too you can put some quality fish in the boat.

20130728951549449518.jpg

2013072895111713953.jpg

2013072895105644954.jpg

16.75", 17.0", 17.5", 20.25" (all measured on MSRD board with mouth closed and tail pinched).

Very good sir, I really miss fishing the Rum and Miss! Nice to see you had another 20"er. grin

Awesome all natural fishery! Great work! How far up were you guys? North of Princeton or down towards Anoka?

Hey guys- I'm trying to talk my dad in to taking his boat out on the Rum. He has a 14 foot tiller- simple fishing boat. He is worried about hitting debris or running up on sandbars or rocks (He is also worried about not catching anything).

We NEVER take the boat out on the river...what advice can you give a river boating newbie to give us the best chance of having a good and safe outing. We'll probably put in at the Anoka County Fairgrounds.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks

You have to go pretty far north of the fairgrounds before you need to worry about hidden rocks or sandbars popping up. There is the occasional log floating down river during high water times, but it is a no wake zone so if you simply keep an eye out you should be safe.

The fishing can be great if you are out there at the right times. Even if you don't catch anything, it is a fun trip just exploring the river.

Well the Anoka county is NO WAKE. I know it kinda sux, but I don't pay the shore owners taxes. That's a few miles of putzing up stream, but there are fish downstream as well all year.

Everything looks like it will hold fish. That's what makes it great - so much to cast to.

Do you have a trolling motor? Otherwise anchor up and toss out some minnows or whatever to a fishy looking area.

As far as numbers the Sippi has a better population, but ifn' you want cool scenery then the Rum is awesome and a few fish is a bonus. Say hi to Ron Schara. He has the brown house adjacent(sp?) to Boy Scout island.

EBass you mentioned the 'Sippi for numbers.. were you talking in general or specific species?? I was just wondering if you felt launching below the Rum River dam and fishing the area where the Rum pours into the Mississippi is more productive for you. I used to have trouble catching anything below the dam and out into the Miss but lately I agree I have been doing better launching below and fishing bigger water than I have when I launch at the fairground and strictly fish the Rum.. just curious on your thoughts!

Was out last Thursday evening, fished from the dam down to the ssippi, caught two decent (throw backs)northerns and a 15 incher on the big river, nothing on the Rum. I did notice that it seemed the Rum was running pretty clear for this time of year also. On another note, has anyone else noticed the Northerns caught in the river have that cool blueish tinge to them?

Were you fishing up or down river on the 'Sippi from the Rum outlet?? I have pulled sucker minnows down in the deeper water towards the Coon Rapids dam, downstream from the Rum outlet in hopes of some big pike, but so far Ive gotten just a couple descent (25-28 inch Pike)

Quote:
EBass you mentioned the 'Sippi for numbers.. were you talking in general or specific species??
Talkin' bout smallies and the upper sippi (CR dam to St. Cloud dam) More water, more habitat, and more smallies.

I don't fish that lil stretch below the Rum dam, but in the fall I may fish the confluence where the Rum meets the Sippi and around that area. Normally after the first hard freeze.

Been my experience that from year to year the numbers spots seem to move, big fish spots, 18/19/20 seem to be pretty consistent on the Anoka stretch.

Give me a call EBass when you decide to hit that section. You running a jet?

Good idea with making a phone call instead of a post.. 22,000+ views here, no sense giving away too much about this metro gem! Haha

• 2 weeks later...

Nice Daze! I haven't been up there since last fall. May not get up their this year. Where is the pic of said 20"?

Let's see if I remember how to post a pic here...the 20.25 isthe one on the board although it is tough to see the measurement and, of course, the tail is not pinched but it is over the twenty mark without pinching. The way my hand shakes I need two hands on the camera or it will look like multiple fish...LOL

full-2966-35870-rumsmallies(july).jpg

full-2966-35873-rumsmallie(august).jpg