• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rum Report

Was out for a few hours on Saturday in Anoka stretch. Fishing was very slow although live bait guys indicated a decent morning bite. We got on the river around 10 am so it was pretty much over. Missed a number of fish on topwater frog but did manage a good sized northern - 8 lbs 11 oz on the Rapala scale. Only other fish we caught was a walleye on a small swimbait.

Witht eh cold front the bite should pick up here soon.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daze Off

• EBass

• Moses2531

• Johnnie15

hey daze. did u launch out of the fairgrounds. how far can i safely travel up the river with a glass boat. only ever fished below the dam by the miss. thanks i want to try it maybe saturday afternoon or evening.

Mww -

Yup - launched at the faigrounds. You can safely go at least 5-6 miles north although most if not all of it is no-wake so it will take a while. Will have to trim up in places as it gets to 2 ft or so occasionally before dropping off again. Good news is at least you are going slow if you nudge something. Others can get further than that but not me (Lund Explorer 1675 w/75hp) and only a 55# thrust trolling motor. Might have been able to get past the spot that stops me if I could use the trolling motor but current was flowing pretty good there and would not pull the boat upstream against it.

No problem at all going south to dam from fairgrounds - just stay in the channel as much as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Was on the Rum for an hour or so yesterday - water temp had dropped 20 degrees since last visit - held steady at 49 degrees. had a few blow-ups and caught one decent fish on suspending jerkbait.

• 2 weeks later...

Spent three hours on the Rum yesteday - two fish caught. Another big pike around 8 lbs and a 19.25" smallie. Water temp now 45 degrees and no fun to wade in to launch the boat....

Other than the smallie the highlight was the guy at the landing who brought his boat down to run the gas out. Was parked in the middle of the two lanes so no one else could use either one and proceeded to tell me that everyone came to the Rum for crappies and exactly where to go for smallies. Seems like the last time he went for smallies at that spot he had 5 fish in the boat in 30 minutes and three of them were 5 pounders and the other two were 8 pounders.....at least it was entertaining waiting for him to move his truck....

• 2 weeks later...

I know its no St. Croix, but there are Crappies in the Rum. I'm not saying that I go out and target them with all sorts of success but I have brought home 2 or 3 over 10"'s on many occassion... As far as the recent bite, I dealt with the weather yesterday and got 2 small Northerns as a reward...

http://myfxadvice.com forex expert

• 4 months later...

Do any of you all make it up to the Cambridge section at all? I've made a few trips to the HWY 95 bridge just out of town but I haven't caught anything other than a 7" smallie.

I was just wondering if there were some other areas open to a shore angler in town.

• 5 weeks later...

Anyone have luck early season on the rum? Anyone fish below the anoka dam in a boat and have luck? I have fished the rum about three dozen times over the last 3 years and have had about two OK outings, the rest skunked for the most part. I've fished from the top of the dam all the way to the rum river golf course where it get 6-8" deep and rocks. I have fished the backwaters, drifted, fished the holes, casted cranks, topwaters. I'm obviously doing something wrong. Looking for help or suggestions. Looking for anything that bites when I hit the river but would love to get consistent bass action (yes, I realize it not season yet).

• 1 month later...

Do any of you all make it up to the Cambridge section at all? I've made a few trips to the HWY 95 bridge just out of town but I haven't caught anything other than a 7" smallie.

I was just wondering if there were some other areas open to a shore angler in town.

If I remember corectly, the East side of the river from the low bridge to the hospital is all city park and therefore open to fishing. "Rum River Park" and "Bridge park" is what they are called. Then you have the West side of the river, it is city park and a series of trails run the river bank for a long ways, bring a Mnt Bike, and the west park has several backwaters in it as well.

It is worth taking a look at.

Fished the dam form shore and from a boat.

In one trip you can catch at 6 to 10 species of fish.

Big Shiners are great for bass and pike.

Super Shad Raps are good for pike as well.

Fished the big river Saturday and got about 10-12 fish with big fish at 18 7/8. Missed a ton of strikes. Hoping to get on the Rum some evening this week and see what I can find and what has changed. Will post results when I get out there.

• 2 months later...

Fished there about a month ago. From the bottom of anoka dam and there on. Lots of carps and one smallie. That was it. Hoping to get back up there. I have not fished above the dam? How is it up there? better luck up there asides to below?

do any of u have any luck w/ smallies on the rum this time of yr? lately i havent had any luck at all. i fish where the rum connects to the sippi, but absolutely no luck, what kind of lures do u usually use?

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure - have been thinking about getting out there again and taking a break from the big river to let the weeds out there die off and drift south. Will post findings if/when I do.

Water is high moving fast and the fishing was slooow, caught 1 decent smallie and 2 that were about 9"s... My advise find something else.

• 2 weeks later...

Fished the Rum a couple days ago for about 1.5 hrs just before dark. Water was 54-55 degrees and stained, level was up at least 1 ft and more like 18", current flowing pretty good compared to normal. Managed a few fish but nothing to write home about. Bites were sporadic but the ones that were active were very aggressive. Everyhting was between 13-16" and could not find a pattern per se but all fish came on a single bait and I probably threw 5-6 different baits.

My source tells me that the plan is to lower the Rum during the week following Halloween but there are a lot of variable in play that could change that.

Ive been fishing the Rum above the dam up to the Fairgrounds. Last week I smoked them on Rat L Traps and crankbaits. Biggest was about 3lbs. Mostly smaller ones, But it was fun... almost every cast. Went back on Monday and tonight.......... not even a bite. I think you can still find them here and there until they lower it.

Was out for about three hours on Sunday and only managed 2 fish - jig/plastic and drop-shot. Both were over 16" so decent fish but nothing to write home about. Water temp was 52 degrees, clarity was about 2 ft, water level was normal which represents a drop of 18"-24" over the past 10 days - 2 weeks. Lots of fishing pressure....lot was completely full and most were south of landing.

[PoorWordUsage] down to the Miss. Anyone hit that stretch lately? any updates there? Thanks...I'll report my finding on Friday.

Hit the Rum River Dam from 5:30-7 last night....threw about everything I could at 'em. worms, frogs, jigs, cranks, rattle traps, you name it, I had it in the water at some point. Only managed one little smallmouth, about 12 inches, and a large tree that just went over the dam that I managed to lose a few lures on.

Was out on Monday of this week for a few hours and only found one stretch of about 50 yds where there were active fish...caught 6 in about an hour with biggest at 18.5". They would only hit one bait - even threw a different bait in the same exact color and they would not touch it. Did not get a bite on anything else anywhere and I threw a lot of different baits and presentations. Water temp was 51 degrees and the river was clearing.

• 4 weeks later...

Rum finally gave up a 20" for me on my last outing of the year - only two fish total - the other was 17"....boat awaw and river lowered....wait 6 months and try again... ;-(

• 6 months later...

Any news on the Rum? Thinking of going out of Anoka tomorrow. Any reports would be great.

Flow is high in Saint Francis.

Waded North of Bridge Street this evening and caught 4 Bass on a DT 6.

Need the water level to drop and the current to slow down to improve fishing.