• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jim Panfish Uran

• fisherdog19

• Dahitman44

• BrianLucky13

Very tuf to beat a team 3 times in one year. We will see if the Pack can get the wild card. Or maybe the Vikings will lose the rest of their games.

36 on Big D now!!

Very tuf to beat a team 3 times in one year. We will see if the Pack can get the wild card.

Actually, the odds of beating a team if you've beaten them twice during the year is nearly 90%. Plus, the pack won't make the wildcard...

Thanks for keeping us updated on the water temps, Brian.

Changed the thread to ice reports, please post what you see on the icing up of our lakes, it shouldn't be long now.

Heard that Lake 15 closed up last night from somebody that lives on that lake. Also heard Silver did too but have not checked that yet.

Deadshot Bay and Little Detroit were locked up this afternoon. If the wind lays down, some larger lakes should go as well. Anyone see if Lind, Cottage, or Sauer are iced over?

Little D is closed up as far as I could tell when I drove past it this morning!!! Blue water bay on Big C is closed up right now, but the main lake is still open.

Better report

Took off this morning at 8 to check out lakes, just me and my son so I didn't get to go too far out with out wimping out.

Tulaby lake, just froze last night, walked out about 2 steps and it cracked and I jumped back to shore.

Elbow still has open water out in front of the village.

Some smaller lakes out in the hills were good though. The first one I checked I made it out about 30 yards and got 3 inches. The second one(see image my 6 year old took) I made it out to 12 feet of water. Could have fished if I had my gear. It was also about 3 inches. Could have made it farther out but I didn't want to go out with out another adult. Looking foward to fishing tomorrow after another cold night!!!!!

december124.jpg

Went for a little drive this afternoon. Lakes with lids on them were Meadow, Sauer, Franklin, Lida, Crystal, South Lida, Anderson, Little Pelican, Heilberger, Spirit, and West Silent. East Silent and Star had open water. There were three guys heading out on one of the back areas of Star. Hopefully, they will be a part of a fishing report and not the Sherrif's report.

Sometime this week we'll have to get out for sure. An afternoon trip. I'm heading out to that little lake with my brother this evening, the one I mentioned the other night. Just going to go to say we went, really don't care what I catch!

lows the next 5 days are 1, -1, -2, -3, 2.

What do you project the ice depth for some of the smaller lakes by Saturday?

6 inches MeltedDon... that's my guess, but I also guessed the Vikings would win!!

Use caution though, the lake I fished literally was like 150 yards across and 300 yards wide. It was tiny. But I'd be willing to bet that most smaller lakes would be fishable next weekend. I'll be out hopping around for sure next weekend checking things out. Fisherdog19 and I will be checking a lake or two this Thursday also so we'll be able to give another report on the ice situation.

Leif is frozen over we had someone out from the house walking on the ice today, but only 30 or 40 feet out. I would wait for this weekend to head out and fish. By the narrows I assume your talking about the "no wake zone". I saw a popup on Little Detroit today out a couple hundred yards from the beach. Dont use my report to base your safety on the ice, use your best judgement. I couldnt imagine someone was that hungry to risk hypothermia. If you want to fish Leif with someone hit me up [email protected].

Leif had 1.5 inches on Friday and 4 inches on Monday at Noon.

I think almost every leake will have "fishable" ice by this weekend, but NOT all over the lake.

Example -- the North access on Big C may have 6-7 inches by Saturday, but if you cruise across the lake you will be at the bottom. Use your head.

The West side of Pelican will have about 7 inches by Friday morning.

The weather report I saw had lows -2, -5 -5 -9 -14 -19 with highs no better than 10 -- that is ICE WEATHER, baby!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  
    • jim curlee
      I had a guy hit me with a lightly used 1969 BAR, he wanted $1650 with an older Leupold scope. More than I think they are worth, I made an offer, he declined end of story.   You know if you look at the old brochures, a grade II BAR sold for $250 in the late 60s, $1650 would be a good return on your investment.    Why would anybody want a 50 year old gun, they are heavy, have wood stocks, and blued metal.  I guess mainly to keep their gun safes glued to the floor. lol   You can probably buy a stainless rifle that you never have to clean, with a synthetic stock you never have to refinish, is as light as a feather, and for half as much money, perfect.   I'm too old for a youth gun, although I've shrunk enough that it would probably fit. lol   No Ruger 10/44s.   Jim      

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.