• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sturgeon are snappin!

I just talked to a buddy of mine that has been fishing the rainy all summer, and the fish haven't really stopped biting this year. He's been up 7 times this summer. He didn't mention the total fish that have come in his boat, but he's got 10. The biggest they've got in his boat was a 61", but his buddy's dad got one that was 67"! I'm not sure exactly when they were caught, I just know it's been since this spring, and they got 4 two days ago. I won't tell ya where they've been going out of respect, but I'll tell ya it's in the river, not too far from the Big Lake. I think I might have to make the trip up there Labor Day weekend.....

Just talked to him again yesterday, said they got 13 on Sunday, biggest being the biggest they've got this year at 64 1/2".

From what he's saying, it's just getting better. I think you're in for a heck of a trip. He's trying to talk me into going to the rainy over labor day weekend, and it's starting to work. I was kinda heck-bent on bass/eyes/pike, but those sturgeon are starting to call my name

was up there this weekend we fished 4hrs got three slots and one dink.are crawlers the best bait or can you use cut bait.

Never tried it, never heard of anyone trying it. Crawlers are just so much easier and cheaper, and they work just fine, imho.

do you know if cut bait works.

Yes it works.

I prefer both cut bait and a coupla crawlers wrapped around the whole mess like a great big bait ball.

You also have more of a chance at a nice sized northern or muskie that way too.

I'll be there in 2 days!!!! Can't wait, I use crawlers myself. I lived in Int'l falls for 2 years while going to college. I had the best luck using crawlers, I tried it all too!

I'll be there in 2 days!!!! Can't wait, I use crawlers myself. I lived in Int'l falls for 2 years while going to college. I had the best luck using crawlers, I tried it all too!

So leechbait....how was the trip to Rainy? Any sturgie reports? wink

Fished friday and saturday on the rainy, 4 of us caught just under 30 (no we really did!!) biggest was 54in, 2 in the slot, probably 6-7 in the 40's and all the rest in the 30's. For 3 of us it was our first time and we had a blast. Also caught more suckers than I care to imagine. All on crawlers.

Are the Sturgies still on?

I might have a chance to run up in soon. Any reports would be helpful.

Thanks,

Any recent sturgeon reports? I'm heading up in 2 weeks and was curious if they will still be around or if I'll need to focus my efforts on the pesky walleye. Cheers. wink