• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Sallie Fishing Reports

There was a couple used trails is about all but you can drive most anywhere if you have 4x4. But the ice isn't that thick yet i dont think.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pan man

• auggie78

• paceman

• SM1

tried evening bite last night with no bites at all for the first time this year. morning bites been better than the evening. the trails are still there and the snow totaly missed us in dl so the going is good, fullsizes have been all over the lake far as I can tell with no problems. I havn't used 4 wheel to get around out there yet.

Was out a couple weeks ago on Sallie... caught 2 small perch, then lost my iPhone down the hole. No more fish after that.

Cbek... did you snag that phone yet? i keep trying to call it, but the fish won't answer.

I was out yesterday morning and it was very slow for me. I seen two northerns and one perch all day on the camera.

It looked like a bunch of different houses either moved spots or just moved off the lake. It also looked like there were scattered slushy spots but may have froze by now. I didnt get close to any any slush on my way out to my house.

I was in 14'. Maybe im too shallow, but I will be moving next time I go out.

deadhead the slabbs where there but couldn't get them to bite there is about 12+in of ice some soggy spots when i was out there lots of bare spots some snow where i set up little flooding. I need to try the morning bite

Was out a couple weeks ago on Sallie... caught 2 small perch, then lost my iPhone down the hole. No more fish after that.

Cbek... did you snag that phone yet? i keep trying to call it, but the fish won't answer.

I guess you didn't install the IFloat app on your iphone did you?

Sorry couldnt resist, however that sucks big time to lose a spendy phone down the whole.

• 3 weeks later...

Well to start with the off road travel is horrible. There was at least 3 -5 inches of slush under all the fluffy snow. But finally made it out and fished in 23ft and caught two eyes rite away. Had fish on vexilar all nite and they would sniff but wouldnt hit. Caught two more around 530 and that would be all for the nite. Stayed til 645 missed a couple more and left. Getn back off was worse than getn out there.

• 1 month later...

you're a lot braver man than me panman. The ice was looking pretty shady yesterday, and the river has cut a pretty wide swath through the ice. I fyou do go, please be careful out there.

I was going to go out tonight too, but I went and took a look at three possible lake to fish and they were ALL TOO UGLY to fish on. I'm done cry Open water here I come.

I was out at our cabin on sallie this morning. As much as I like fishing tullies, I wouldnt go out there.

The ice is starting to look pretty dark and it was receeded back about 8 ft from shore. There is also about a football field sized chunk (give or take)of open water out from the inlet.

I bet within two weeks tops a guy could start chasing pannies from the boat.

Who knows, maybe you could still catch tullibes from a boat as soon as the ice clears????? Anyone ever tried it?

I agree with Leech, with the earlier Ice-out and later opener the eyes should have their feed bag on big-time. Sallie will have quite a few boats on in on the opener working the river area. Throw out a jig/shiner and you should catch fish.

• 1 month later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The eyes are out there just waiting for you on Opening day...let us know how you do please :

• 1 year later...

Has anyone seen this story or heard about it? Looks like one heck of a fish and its too bad he couldn't get it revived.

[Note From Admin: Please review forum policy about posting non-authorized links. Thank You.]

Yep, that's a heck of a fish.

There are an aweful lot of discrepancies and details that don't make perfect sense to me in that story. I won't bother nit-pick the story, although I'm very tempted to point out a whole host of things...

I'll nit pick it for you, 4th fish for the wall at age 22 I believe that to be accurate, he's not good for the fishery and Sallie fish are migrants from DL. He's proud etc. of the fact he's all over the internet and da da da da da, why not pierce your lip, chain a ear lobe to your nose and get a Mike Tyson face tattoo if you need attention, tried for 6 hours to revive it cmon man, he roared to shore and couldn't wait to see if he had a state record. Really, why do I care, I will never fish Sallie anyway, but I care about the fisheries, how long it takes to replace a fish like that, all the people who released it previously so he could have the overboard thrill, and now it's his possession and no other including children will have the same chance he was allowed, now it's a dust collector. His first 3 words in talking to others seem like I,Me,My. I just feel we all kinda share these fish and see a lot of personal greed the same way whitetail hunting is in our state for so many. But, in 2011 barely anyone is telling the truth, just what you want to hear, just sounds like he'd like a 5th statue at Mt. Rushmore from what his quotes read. 4th mount, that kid has some money.

I guess if someone wants to keep a fish I see no problem with it. Would you rather him just throw it back in the water and let it rot away or at least do something with it. What people decide to do with it is totally up to them, its public water. Also u wouldn't b a lil proud if u mite have caught a state record get real. Don't get me wrong I practice catch and release but not always.

Cmon Dawg, I've caught a fish for sure in that caliber, tons of us have, we didn't kill it, then go weigh it, then come out with this revival for 6 hour story, guess what it was as dead after the 1st hour as it was after the 5th hour. This wasn't keep a fish this is # 4, you're very gullible dawg., he couldn't get it weighed/certified without killing it. I wouldn't be proud no of the state record, sorry, I don't need any fame whatsoever, 0, got enough baseball records if I care to look back 20 years ago. With 300,000 musky anglers we should be releasing them, the quality of our fisheries depends on us in the musky world, Kirk Schnitker is glowing today !

To each there own. I don't believe the 6 hr revival either but if he wants to keep it its up to him. The record part wouldn't b what would make me keep a fish or deer its if I the person who shot it or caught it is proud of it.

I agree with Musky Buck on this issue... Although it's within his rights to keep the fish, I don't think it was very sportsman of him.

It's sad to think that fish has probably been around longer than the kid has. Nothing wrong with a quick measurement, picture and back in the water if you ask me.

I say good for him, if he wants four on the walls more power to him. Nothing we can do about it... would I do it probably not for the. simple fact of it costing a ton of money. I put a 53 inch on the wall last year that costed me 750 dollars just for the one.

I don't really want to pummel the kid I don't, in the big scheme of life who cares really, is a fish really worth blasting this 22 year old from Phoenix no of course not, just don't enjoy sugar coated stories that get bent from the actual truth, why embellish the story, 6 hours trying to revive it, so 1/4 of his entire day he was doubled over, trying to bring it back from death when he's proven that he's kept fish for mounting purposes before. This 55.5" he claims to have caught is that one on the cabin wall also, you start to wonder what is his motivation, we never heard a word about 55.5" er from him on the net back then. How skewed is the length record or whatever ? Where is this record book and you need help from Wisconsin folks to get it entered ? So I'd break his heart if I showed him my 57 and 1/16" er. Thank heavens the DNR got us to 48" or like on elk catch and release only, those regulations are a punch in the gut to game hog types and thankfully we can CP video and release so the next lucky angler can have that thrill as our sport expands in people numbers, heck with "the record". How about the status of our fisheries. Can only hope the kid gets his best thrill eventually from releasing all his fish so his kids can come to Sallie and enjoy a quality fishery.

The interesting thing is that it is his 4th one.Why not get a plastic one.I have my first really big northern on the wall behind me.One was enough.Weighed 25 lbs.

I've since caught larger ones plus lake trout over 40 lbs.No desire to have another one on the wall.

But it is his choice I guess.

God give it a rest-If the kid wants to keep it whats it mattwer to you if you dont fish Sallie.The state ought to be using our license money to do more stocking instead of relying on the people who pay for them to restock(release) the fish.He paid for the license and the mount,he should be able to do as He likes with it.By the way you sound awfully jealous of the kid!!!!I say good for him.

Settle down now guys, no use getting all worked up over some kid keeping a muskie!! Good for him, if he wants to put it on the wall that's great. No more posts ripping on this kid or eachother now.

OK leech sounds good-Lets get out fishing together sometime.I'm now an OTC resident as of June 13th.Moved the family to Perham area as the last girl graduated from H.S and is now gonna attend MSTATE at Detroit lakes.Got tired of the city life after 45 years and said its time.Sold the house in a week and we were on our way.I still haven't quit my job here in the cities but thats just around the corner,I figure I'll tell um where to go with it about Oct. 1st,oh by the way thats when the deer are running ,the pheasants and ducks are flying-what a coincidense.Fishing was awesome the first 3 weeks of the season,now its time to cool off with some cold ones until aug1st.Then start pounding away again.Let Me know if ya wanna go some day.

Absolutely, I'd love to get out with you! We will work something out and get on the water!