• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Sallie Fishing Reports

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pan man

• auggie78

• paceman

• SM1

Yeah, water temps in the low 60's. What kind of fish you looking for???

everyone in the tri-state area is fishing Sallie right now! I've never in all my years seen this lake get this much pressure. Fargo is getting too big and is too close...

I agree brood. I drove past there this past weekend and the rigs were parking out on the road. That is a huge parking lot and it was completely full. Talked to a few guys leaving and they were catching lots of bass and a few small eyes....

There was a bunch of boats right out in front of our cabin this past weekend and a bunch further out on the lake. Definitely more boats than last summer at this time.

As a side note, I went out for a little bit on Sat and Sun and didn’t find any eyes. frown

everyone in the tri-state area is fishing Sallie right now! I've never in all my years seen this lake get this much pressure. Fargo is getting too big and is too close...

If we pay the out of state license fee, it shouldn't be a big deal. I am orginally from Minnesota, but have relocated to Fargo for work. Stay out of West Acres to then, I want the Mall to myself. Comments like these bother me, because they have no place in being said.

We ALL just want to fish, but if you are worried about the pressure, it will always be there. The thing I worry about is the fish numbers and the only way to control that is to lower the limit on said fish that are being kept.

I always get a kick out of comments like this. I guess the fish in sallie belong to those who live in the lakes area.

Hey Brian I fish walleyes until Sat. I would just like to add to us locals a reminder that it sounds like "mom and pop" will keep their lights on this summer. Im glad to see Fargo's money come this direction with all thats going on in the economy. By the way who brought up the DNR stripping eggs in the forums this spring. Hmmm. Say Brian do you ever have room in your boat?

I say catch all the walleyes and keep them!! All they do is eat the muskies anyways!!JK As long as people are being responsable and releasing the walleyes below 14 inches and above 18 inches the lakes around here can handle themselves!!

I am planning on trying either Sallie and Melissa Friday after work. Any reports on how the Northerns are hitting on either lake? I am relatively new to the area and haven't fished either yet.

Thanks for any advice.

Auggie the northerns in both lakes are on an eating rampage. Throw anything at them and you will get bit. Lindy rig, jigs, plugs. Simply troll along the weedline 15 feet or so and hang on there are some monsters in both lakes. In case you don't know both lakes have a 24" max for keeping. You might have trouble finding any to keep....

Thanks paceman. Think I will hit up Sallie tonight and Mellisa friday night.

Yep you guys can have the mall. Ill stick to the lakes. And as far as the lakes and fishing pressure you will always have that with the internet world.LOL. Not to mention this is a good time of year to be fishing. If you dont want pressure wait till July and August fishing pressure will slow down but then comes the Jetskis and wakeboarders.

Yep you guys can have the mall. Ill stick to the lakes. And as far as the lakes and fishing pressure you will always have that with the internet world.LOL. Not to mention this is a good time of year to be fishing. If you dont want pressure wait till July and August fishing pressure will slow down but then comes the Jetskis and wakeboarders.

Dito.. good call Ray1

badmedicine would have been alot better bite if the jet skiers would have stayede away from the other boats when i was there. they just think that ten ft from a boat that is fishing is a good distance. mayby it is just my old man comming out in me?

I went to Sallie on Thurs. I fished from 5 until 9. The 25 mph wind made it pretty miserable but I managed 2 nice northerns and a 22" largemouth. I was mostly trying to find places to hide from the wind.

Hopefully later this week there will be a nice day without the hurricane force winds.

badmedicine would have been alot better bite if the jet skiers would have stayede away from the other boats when i was there. they just think that ten ft from a boat that is fishing is a good distance. mayby it is just my old man comming out in me?

I hear ya pan man. I think you just have to figure that they will be buzzing around up there when your trying to fish. I know it sucks but it seems like thats just the way it goes up there. I know what you mean about the OLD man coming out thing. The Warden gets tired of that with me.. grin Keep on keepin on is all I got to say...

Anyone know the story behind DL Marine closing up shop. Is any of the inventory for sale...auction, etc? 8 Lunds shrink wrapped yet and a few RVs.

Walleye's were going on Sallie Monday-Wednesday while trolling for other species with SSR's and Rattles. Even though we've had a place on the lake since 1974, my boat tag is Iowa so got a lecture at the ramp about being out of state. Must be the economy or something this year. Everyone seemed to be having a bad day.

See you again on the 20th...

seneca_b.jpg

Hey...I can see my two favorite spots from there...

I grew up spending my summers on Lake Melissa and I have been fishing Sallie for 20 years...Funny...I catch and release 95% of the crappie, walleye, and panfish I catch in the lake and 100% of the pike, muskies, and bass. I buy a non-resident fishing license...that gives me the right to fish on Sallie if I choose...

Copterjohn- I was on Sallie on weds trolling and could only pickup northerns and bass. How deep were you fishing? Any special area?

Probably wont get back to Sallie until next week after the weekend traffic settles down.

Thanks

DL Marine closed due to lack of revenue, it was that simple. The left over inventory will go to Bismark, ND to the other Marine/RV dealership the family owns. Just ignore the ignoramouses that give you a hard time because you're out of state; just ask them if they ever fished anywhere other than MN and then walk away crazy

So Brett, you must have got in on the wonderful crappie bonanza we had back in the day? Just run the electronics until you found a school and then it was cast after cast. And of course the jumbo gills that hung on the edge of the weedline... again one after another. My kids are 12 and 17 so they missed the panfish heyday, but we've sure enjoyed some quality time on the water for the toothy critters with more to come soon.

You can fish in our state if you want. I like your money in our state. Thanks for the nice pics John.

According the MN DNR site, there have been roughly 28.5 million walleyes stocked in Sallie over the last 10 years. Is there really any wonder why so many people fish it? People shouldnt give people a hard time about fishing lakes out of state. Many people move around the tri-state area, and many times have lived in the state they are fishing longer than the people that are giving them a hard time. United states. UNITED.

The out-of-state argument could go on forever as the laws that are made will never please everyone. It no different than if I went to devils lake or the river in ND.

Nobody likes "the look" you get if you are an out of stater. It should really boil down to: Treat others as you would like to be treated!

I just wanted to comment on the # of walleyes "stocked" into Sallie. Aside from the hatchery increasing survival rate for walleye eggs(which is great and im all in favor of), I would imagine that most if not all walleyes "stocked" into sallie were from resident fish....fish that if the stripping site was not there those fish would have spawned in sallie anyway.

My grandfather always said that thanks to Sallie, everyone else has great fishing (due to the egg stripping).