Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Lostbay

rainy river question

Fishing Realtor

We've had our best luck by far just "slip drifting." Meaning trying your best to match your boat speed with the current's speed...bowmount helps for this. Keep track by looking at the shoreline - and always make sure your line stays verticle. Bites can be ferocious. Can get by with an 1/8 oz. jig doing this (slower fall.) Darker colors have always proved to be best.

Bassboy1645

3/8 and smaller?? it must not be too much of a current. dark colors on jigs too? Im under the impression that there is current and the river is muddy or is this not soo much true? What kind of meat would a guy use for sturgeon? I dont plan on targeting them but maybe.. most guys I know catch one there on walleye tackle as a bonus. Thanks for the info soo far guys!!

Fishing Realtor

If the water's muddy and fast - you won't be walleye fishing. Glob of crawlers on the bottom for dinosaurs...

Tim_Anderson

3/8 is usually all you need early in the season when the water is clear. 1/4 or 1/8 is better yet. My personal opinion is that the lighter you can go and still maintain contact with the bottom, the better. I have witnessed for many years guys that fish with jigs that are too heavy...and what I have witnessed is that they catch less fish, for a bunch of different reasons. First, they are heavier, so they are spending more time on bottom. More time on bottom means they are getting snagged. Getting snagged means they are often chasing lures and breaking off...then having to re-tie. It gets to be pretty counter-productive. And, smaller jigs are just more subtle. You're more likely to get bit and stay bit with a smaller/lighter jig.

Everybody has their confidence lures. I always respect the next guys opinion. Mine just happens to be lighter/brighter colors, so how about that to confuse you? White. Pink. Chartreuse. Orange. Combinations.

Honestly, I think presentation is much more important than color.

And for the sturgies, a minnow/crawler combination has always worked really good for me. When you get tired of whacking the walleyes (or if you are struggling to catch the walleyes) take some time to target the sturgeon. You'll be glad you did.

The Hammer

I have heard of guys using 1/2 ounce all the way up to an ounce jigs on the Rainy River?!?! I am with you Tim I have used 1/8 ounce but never more than 3/8 ounce jigs.

We cast out and pull across the current. I think that this presents the jig more to the fish swimming against the current, it works great for us.

icollectfrogs

The Canadian game wardens carry a range finder , they will stop at your boat range find the MN side and show you the distance then range find the Canadian side and show you. Then you either busted or let go. Pretty simple. If you are over ya get a ticket and believe me they will check everthing From you bringing live bait into canada,alcohol (which is illegal in canadian waters) and there are differant slot limits in Canada. IT'S NOT WORTH CHANCING

concreteman

quick question never fished the rainy but have done plenty of river fishing. I am planning on making it up there as soon as possible hopefully next week river permitting. I got 2025 pro v and i was out yesterday on pool 2 down in the cities and my bow mount took a dump on me mad Now am i gunna be alright on the rainy without the bow mount i dont have a kicker motor. What kind of problems am i going to run into and how is it going to limit my fishing? Thanks for the help guys.

minimite

last year we didn't have a trolling motor on small boat we took. we were anchored the whole time and it was some of the best fishing we've ever had. yes, it's always better to have the option of trolling with the current. but we just came up with some creative ways to fish our jigs and we caught a ton of walleyes and mananged 4 sturgeon for bonus fish cool we just kept hitting different spots till we found em' and didn't take long either, pretty easy fishin with the right conditions.

Tim_Anderson

I would sure want to have a bow mount for boat control/presentation purposes BUT I would still be going if I didn't have one.

Random guy

I have used the drift sock with the main motor in place of a faulty trolling motor. It is nowhwere near as accurate as good bow mount but will get the job done with some practice.

concreteman

That was what my thought was to just use the drift sock and the motor or just anchor up i guess. Whats the current like i assume its gunna be moving pretty decent eh? I do have the chip for LOW so i have a feeling thats gunna help me out quite a bit. Sounds like its gunna be go time soon i better get some work done so i can get out of town.

Royal Dutchman

I know others have posted alternative presentations to what I prefer and while I accept that other methods are productive, I prefer to "slip drift" and keep my line vertical. A trolling motor and boat control is critical to this method to adjust for wind & current and a 3/8 jig is perfect for staying in the strike zone (sorry Tim). Conditions can vary by the day, hour, and location and being able to adjust is important.

I had one of my best runs while slipping down and then slow trolling & long lining up (thanks for teaching me that Billy S). Actually caught bigger fish while slow trolling up stream. Had 45 eyes in 2 hours with every inch represented between 20 & 29 (except 24"), multiples in the upper 20's, & lost 3 very large fish.

I am sooooo stoked to get out there tomorrow, not sure if I will sleep tonight!

Tim_Anderson

Doug...I don't care HOW you get em, just as long as you get em! Ok, within reason anyway. Will be looking forward to hearing your report tomorrow.