• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any progress yet? ( Someone had to ask It )

I saw on Feb 28 that the river was open between Little Fork and Big Fork..... is there any word on about where it is now ?

It looks like the temps have been in the mid & upper 20's and with any sun baking on it, it should be slowly eating away at the ice. smirk

I am just looking forward to using longer rods. grin

Thanks.

Mark

Eden Prairie

I wish they would update on where the open water is. I am getting very anxious to get up there.

When coming through yesterday, there was water west of Loman already. There was some re-freeze but the main body was open. The next place that you can see the river is about 1/2 way between Loman and Indus and that spot still had ice. But it didn't look like one would want to walk across there.

Thanks Shamrock..... It looks to be roughly 15 miles to Birchdale give or take a few.

I am thinking about 12 to 15 days before it's open at Nelson Park.

Sweet.

Mark

Will be coming back through there again this coming Sunday, so I will update this.

I came through on the 12th...the area between indus and lohman looked closed back up. I'll be headed through on the 15th, I'll post after that.

Came through yesterday. Ice had opened to 168 between Indus and Loman but had re-froze all the way back to east of the Littlefork.

I'm sure that that will open back up quickly with this weather. Couple weeks and we should be on.

Thanks Mudpuddler

Thanks Shamrock

It was reported to reach 49 in Baudette today..... the river had to open some!

Small (over the ice) boat is almost ready to go. Fresh gas, fire the motor with the muffs and were ready.

Mark

Looking at the Modis Satellite image, river is opened back up to where it was open when it refroze. Couldn't see this open water yesterday...

Looks like it made a huge push from yesterday's image to today's. Can't tell for sure but looks like it might be to Indus or maybe even past. Don't quote me though...maybe someone from up there can give an update...

In MODIS you can un-click the state borders button ton the top of the page to better see the river

check out the map when you click on the false color button, at least on my screen the open water portion of the river really pops out. If what I see is acually shore to shore open water, I would say it's to Indus as well, maybe just past. Not long now till Manitou is fishable.

Probably just a little early for them to be driving all over checking. Once it gets to Manitou Falls, I would imagine they will be on it.

And who ordered the clouds so that the Modis doesn't should much???

Looks like it made some serious progress today. Can't tell for sure but I would guess its open to Manitou...Maybe even further. That false color is awesome on Modis!! Except you can see the entier river the whole way and hard to see the difference. Won't be long!!!!

I called the Royal Dutchman for an ice report. Ice flow is currently right near Emo on the Canadian Side, approximately mile marker 166. Carl estimated that it would be another week before there was open water at Birchdale, but he was just taking his best guess.

Wonder if we can find someone to fly over the river and drop some sand like I have seen the Army Corps of Engineers do on the Red River to speed up the thaw?

Just got back from Manitou Rapids and looks like the river is open a little west of Emo. Looks like it will be fishable below the rapids for the hardy, or fool hardy, any time. Stopped at Franze Jevne for a look, still lots of ice, but it was moaning and groaning pretty good. Weather forecast looks good for the next few days with lows above freezing, with some rain forcast, hopefully not too much.

I know it's still over a week away, but the forecast isn't looking so hot for the last weekend in March. Was planning on bringing my Grandpa up, but I don't think he would do so well with the temps they are predicting. Hopefully the weather man is wrong, but I had to make a decision by today if I wanted to keep my motel room or not. Sure going to regret it if the weather man is wrong. Hopefully will make it up the 1st weekend of April.

A little more open water at Franze Jevne last night but no where near fishable. May have open water at B-dale late next week.

We're a bit anxious about the rain in the forecast. Just have to wait & see.

PLEASE don't expect us to be able to tell you the exact time the river will open. If the weatherman (who makes a lot more money than us) could get it right, then maybe we could. We are highly motivated to supply you with timely & accurate info and will do our best.

any reports on ice fishing the river where it's still locked up? buddy of mine called this morning and he said he had talked to some guys that were gonna hand load boats at manitou rapids yesterday. just wondering what you guys thought of trying that. looks light rain up there the next few days, and the end of next week isn't gonna work for us with the work schedule mad. so we either try it now or take our chances and wait for the april 2nd. i'd feel alot better about waiting if there was no rain in forecast. just wondering what you guys thought about either ice fishin it or trying hand loading farther east, thanks

minimite, I'm going up with three guys Monday to fish Manitou for three days rain or shine, either now or much later (maybe never). Not sure about the bite but it's been very good in the past. If you don't mind the weather it should be a heck of a time. No crowds and lots of fish.

I was up there this time last year at the manitou rapids.. We caught a lot of fish and some really nice one.. Good luck post how you do...