• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Holland Lake Fishing Reports - Eagan

I have not been to the park since I got a boat which would be about 5 years now. It would be nice to get a boat on there to try for some trout, but a canoe is really all you can get on there. It's more of a pond than a lake, and the landing is just a entrance off of cliff road correct?

there is no real landing. there is a parking lot at the intersection of cliff rd and lexington. you have to park and carry in from there. you are not supposed to be accessing the lake from cliff rd itself. the lake really isn't big enough to warrant a boat. it is more of a pond size, in a boat you would just be going in small circles really.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been checked out there and had my trout stamp checked. You need one to target and keep trout on any water. Its only $10 so its not a huge set back for a years worth of fishing

You can fish Holland without a trout stamp, but you need a stamp to keep them. Holland does not appear of the Designated Trout Lake list.

I called the DNR about Cristmas lake earlier this year with the same question. They said they manage several lakes as "niche" lakes, and that you don't need a stamp to fish them, just to keep trout if you catch them.

Holland is not a designated lake which is nice because you can use live minnows which work wonders with rainbows. That lake used to be alot of fun a coupe winters back but last couple years has been slow for the trout out there might take a trip out there this week.

The oxygen level is still low, so they will be not be feeding as much. If anyone manages to go out there and spots dead trout, it would be greatly appreciated if you can send me an email with how many you see. adam.borgstahlatco.dakota.mn.us

I will be out there looking myself but not as much as I would like. I have to get our free fishing gear ready for this spring/summer.

• 9 months later...

Borg,

Any new reports on this lake? I live in Eagan and wanted a place to take my kids out for some ice fishing...shoot me a PM if you get a chance.

i went out ther a few times last year my dad caught 4 hammerhandles on tip ups with a chub i got at least 45 2-5 inch gills id try sibley pond for the kids or maybe cedar

Fireman email me and I'll point you in the right direction.

My 3 year old nephew is coming up Friday from Nashville and really wants to catch some fish. I've got some tried and true spots to take kids.

[email protected]

It's too bad there isn't more for pannies there, I wouldn't mind going after trout, but would like to know I have a backup plan if they weren't biting frown

hell hammerhandles on light tackle aint all that bad lol.but id say if you want to go to a diverse lake for trout and all species try christmas and there are pike in there pushing 35 inches, easy from feeding on all the trout

• 4 years later...

There must be something new brewing at Holland. I have been surprised to see how many people are ice fishing it. The new aerator must have something to do with this ?

• 2 years later...

Haven't posted on here in years, still live near holland. Has anyone had luck here in the past few years? Used to catch some crappies out there back in 08 and 09. 

Crappies are starting to appear, not sure if someone dropped them in there or not, but I have caught a couple in the summer now. Also caught a couple of pretty good largemouth while fishing trout. The aerator seems to be making a big difference. Portage was a pretty decent spot last winter. If anyone has time, I didn't make it out last year, but there is a small pond just south of the campground off of johnnycake that had some eyes and bigger panfish. Its a walk to lake, but not far off the road and not a lot of pressure. Its another pond, most of the "lakes" in the parks are really just stocked ponds.

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, 12345 said:

I hope you're kidding, right....?

No not kidding. There's two holes that go down to 55 feet deep in this Lake. 

31 minutes ago, 12345 said:

Wow....i can see why there may be 'eyes in there. Very interesting 

Are you sure walleyes are in there.    Crappies, sunfish, bluegill, Northern Pike, brown and Rainbow Trout. Never heard or seen eyes coming out of there. This use to be a fun lake to fish. Went from just a few people fishing it to a crowd of people fishing it. Haven't been back in years. 

The last couple winters I've driven past holland, always seemed to be more spear shacks than anything. Then again, I've never been there on a Saturday. Have always considered trying it in the winter, but I don't like crowds, and I assume the trout get fished out by opening weekend.

4 hours ago, icepike 1 said:

Are you sure walleyes are in there.    Crappies, sunfish, bluegill, Northern Pike, brown and Rainbow Trout. Never heard or seen eyes coming out of there. This use to be a fun lake to fish. Went from just a few people fishing it to a crowd of people fishing it. Haven't been back in years. 

Oh i dunno i was just refering to someone earlier who mentioned that their were eyes in that little deep pond

4 hours ago, icepike 1 said:

I think weve had a misunderstanding, i was asking Borg how deep the pond by the camp ground was, not holland. I know holland is 50+ ft deep

On 12/19/2016 at 1:17 PM, borg0196 said:

Crappies are starting to appear, not sure if someone dropped them in there or not, but I have caught a couple in the summer now. Also caught a couple of pretty good largemouth while fishing trout. The aerator seems to be making a big difference. Portage was a pretty decent spot last winter. If anyone has time, I didn't make it out last year, but there is a small pond just south of the campground off of johnnycake that had some eyes and bigger panfish. Its a walk to lake, but not far off the road and not a lot of pressure. Its another pond, most of the "lakes" in the parks are really just stocked ponds.

Checked out this pond on friday. Was right about my assumption that it must have been a "deeper" pond than most of the others in the area, which it was. I found 15ft was the deepest. But was unfortunately disappointed to realize that it must have had a winter kill last year or the year before. Caught nothing but potato chip sunnies. No crappie, no bass and definitely no walleye. Disappointing. May go back and try to find a deeper hole, but im not expecting to catch anything other than those little pannies. Hopefully Im wrong though. I really hoped a deeper pond like that would have been immune to the winter kills of the shallower lakes

12345 - How did you access the pond/Where did you park?  I drove by yesterday just because I was in the neighborhood and didn't see any good place to park.  No Parking on Johnny Cake and the gate to the campground road was closed.  

25 minutes ago, AaronTC05 said:

12345 - How did you access the pond/Where did you park?  I drove by yesterday just because I was in the neighborhood and didn't see any good place to park.  No Parking on Johnny Cake and the gate to the campground road was closed.  

Parked across the street at the School of Environmental Studies and then walked across johnny cake to the entrance. My buddies pulled into the canoe access a little further down the road, dropped off their shack and walked it in from there and then parked at SES

17 hours ago, DrJuice1980 said:

All the green sunfish a guy could want out there, remember biking down there as a kid.

hahahaha thats basically about all that we caught, bunch of greenies