Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Joe

Annandale-Buffalo- Big Lake fishing reports

624 posts in this topic

I went out to a lake yesterday I haven't been on this year and found hardly anyone out there. It was such a lite bite at first but I figured I'd try the smallest glow white diamond jig tipped with a PowerBait Crappie nibble and that worked well. I did catch a 8 inch crappie that slammed a minnow head on a buckshot. He must have thought he was really something. I was in 13 feet of water, and when I left at 8:45 pm I still had fish under me. full-44005-52331-image.jpg

1 person likes this

Well they were really biting yesterday. Started in deeper water trying to find eyes but seems they were not hungry then around 2:00 I went to about 11 feet of water and found fish that were hungry. Gills and crappie. I was using red euros on a road jig I think. Didn't keep any of the 7 - 8 inch gills but kept 8 crappie from 10 - 12 inches. I was busy all afternoon. full-44005-52543-image.jpg

2 people like this

Good job Paul smile

1 person likes this

Can anyone tell me how much snow fell in the area around Annandale the other day? Thanks

dusting

Thanks Giant, just wanted to know if I can get around in my minivan yet.

With the winds we've had over the last few days, there's probably less snow on the main lake, then the time we ran into each other last week Paul. I would think twice about south and north shoreline accesses with your van though. I'm sure it drifted in pretty good in those areas.

The lake you were on might be alright.

1 person likes this

LAKES ARE FINE, ACCESS MIGHT BE ALTTLE TOUGH. HAVE A SHOVEL. JOHN WAS OK

Fishing sure has slowed since the cold front monday ! Still getting out with with wheeler on the couple lakes iv been hitting , pink n white seem to be the ticket tipped with plastics in 4' to 12' of water! Ice is getting sketchy some more warm weather will put an end to hard water season

Anybody finding crappies?

Made it out today to Clearwater. Didn't get to the lake till about 10 but targeted some eyes and got one around 11 that was 19 and a half.  I don't have much experience out there but tried lots of spots pulling a jig up the drops with leeches. Might be to soon for the leeches. Also got a few pike. 

2 people like this

Fished cedar lake this evening. Moved around alot when I first got out there just trying to mark fish n jigging a leech quick at each spot. Not much activity ended up getting one 14 inch eye in about 15 ft bobber fishing. Hoping for some good warm stable weather.

1 person likes this

Fished the western section of Clearwater Lk last night with terrible results. Fished mainly for sunfish, but also threw a Carolina rig for bass in key areas. I don't think I've ever seen the lake so dead, both for fishing and boating activity. Put this lake low on your list for fishing fun.

Fished the eastern section of Clearwater Friday morning had a decent,but not great time. I got my biggest walleye for Clearwater at just over 26 inches.

workin

Had two guide trips this weekend, the first trip found the 8-10" walleyes and bass about the same size.  Trip two found the lots small pike and bass. We did find the rock bass, fished both east and west ends of Clearwater.  I equated much to the front, but also these are people the have done little to no fishing before. Jigging and rig fishing has normally been easy for people to catch on with. After they get the basics of a spinning reel down then we can move to casting other baits.

Several times the trips are teaching the basics, the clients have always liked learning something new.  Even the guys that have been fishing for years, pick up a few things new to add to their bag of tricks.

2 people like this

Slow bite still at Clearwater,was out today. I caught 5 dinky bass,3 pike and 2 walleyes,well one was only 7 inches,but I believe that it still counts. The other was just over 20 inches.

workin'

The nursery was really easy to find, no keeper eyes, the action was fun for the people fishing with me. We stopped at one location with a minute client had a 3lb pike on, they caught 4other fish before we went searching for the better sized walleyes.  We did try a couple different presentations, the one only not tried was to troll cranks, but they had to meet wives back at hotel- we ran out of time.

I took my daughter out yesterday and she caught the big fish of the day, a 31" northern on 6# test crappie rod. Both crappie and gills were small on the lake we were on and with the warm day we had they were back in the shallows. Great day out there and the parking lot was full on the last warm day.

anyone have any fishing reports for Eagle Lake just outside of Big Lake?

Went out on maple last night and this morning. We got skunked. Ok, almost. A 12" slime and 8" large mouth.

This afternoon we spent about 3 hours on Rock and killed em number wise. Nothing huge, a 16, 15, and about 30 in the 13.5-14" range. Had 2 upper 20s pike in the boat, and even a cute little 11" eye. Once the sun stayed out, it was game over.

Was out on a lake just south of 55 and the ice is pretty sloppy. About 2" of water and slush. Can't think wait for the cold to freeze it all back up. 

Had fish under me most of the time but really didn't start bitting until after dark. Kept a few sunfish and crappies. Had a northern hit but it got off right away.  

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Really? Last "report" was in January? ("No wonder I left this website years ago...")

...and a question as to why the most current posts are buried in the back?? Old posts should be in the back... newest on the front page. That's probably why nobody spends time here anymore...

Here are images of my son's catches taken in the last week from Maple Lake:

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

Edited by Andy K
2 people like this

Andy, love the pics, congrats to your son!

On a side note, help us out some!  The more you report the more others will as well! Welcome back.

Fished Clearwater Saturday morning for a few hours.  Found sunnies and a few crappies in 7-10 feet of water right in the weeds. Black was the color that seemed to work best.

2 people like this