• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Annandale-Buffalo-Hutchinson fishing reports

Yep, Collinwood is greening up and it was looking like the proverbial pea soup last week already. Leaves a nice green wake off the sides of your boat as you head across the lake. You don't need a GPS to follow your trolling trails...just follow the gaps in the slime!

Thanks for the valuable info, Lmit-out. I was afraid it was going to turn to pea soup when the first batch of hot weather came through. Last time we were on Marion it looked as though that lake might be in store for a pea soup Summer, also. Too bad. At least you saved us a bunch of gas and a heap of disappointment. Good fishing to you when you get out again.

Don't get me wrong, it is still fishable or at least not as slimy if you work the side of the lake where the wind was blowing from last. I was up there last Thursday and the wind had been from the north the previous day and the bad slime was on the east and south sides of the lake. The entire lake has algae bloom happening but it's just thicker on the surface on the windy sides. Still pretty gross, though.

Wound up going to Lake "M"(rhymes with librarian) this morning. Water quality still pretty good, but, my oh my, how the weeds have grown in the past couple weeks. Can't use the same, usual techniques too easily until the weeds go. We managed to fool 5 'eyes, all of which were released-they'll look even better this Fall. Crawlers were the cuisine of choice for the Wallys today, except for one that preferred a leech.

Another fun outing with my brother, though I owe him another $1.00 for the first fish.

Wishin' Good Fishin' to everybody!

I am glad to hear the weeds are coming back. Maybe the panfish will start to come back as well. It would be good to see the sunfish and bass make a come back out there. They are almost non-existent at this point.

I spent the weekend in SD fishing. Fishing was fantastic.

Avid

Hey workin4bait,

I am not taking it too personal but when you made the comment about me maybe saying too much, what did you mean? I am just curious.

I very rarely say any lake names besides maybe a general discussion once in awhile. I guess I am just sharing some tips. I wish more people would do the same because that is how I learn to do different things. My dad was pretty much a sunfish/bass guy and I didn't have a clue about how to catch walleyes until I was about 20.

I have done a lot of reading, research and sharing info with buds to get where I am at. I am just giving back to my fellow fisherman what I have taken in.

There are too many viewers on this forum and not enough sharers. People are so darn worried that there secret will get out. What people don't realize is that they can share tips on how to catch fish, but don't have to even come close to what lake they are fishing. I am proof of having a lot of knowledge, but that doesn't always translate into a successful outing. The biggest thing is too learn from every outing and try not to make the same mistake twice.

Avid

Well said Avid.

Not at all, jmg.

There is a no-tolerance policy for those who criticize others for sharing information such as fishing reports. After all, that's the purpose of this website!

With that said, it also has to be considered by the poster that it may be detrimental to a fishery if a favorable report is given about a very small lake/pond that wouldn't be able to handle the pressure of report-chasers flocking to it. Some common sense has to be applied here as best as you can.

The other scenario is if everyone gives lake names in their reports it just spreads out the pressure and one lake doesn't have to get pounded before people move onto the next to pound that one. smile

Anyway, let's try to keep this thread to fishing reports, please. It's been great discussion. Keep it up! Thanks!

Avid. I, too, hope the weeds help to make for a panfish recovery. About 3 yrs. ago, my daughter set the hook on her largest "gill to date out of that lake. Was just short of ten and a half inches long. Boy, was she ever excited to haul in that dinner plate. But, things really went downhill after that and lately, we don't even get any small bass like we used to so bring on some more weeds. That seems to be the key for several lakes in the area.

Wishin' everybody good fishin' this upcoming weekend. STAY SAFE!! Still in shock regarding Backwater Eddy. He sure has had some nice mini eulogies posted , but what a loss!

Good words of wisdom, LMITOUT. Guess that's why you're "watching the herd". I enjoy your posts and appreciate your reports.

I've been fishing in the Hutch area for about 50 years now and forget, sometimes, about all those who "report fish" and dart from lake to lake, like flies on new manure, take everything they can grab out of one lake and head on to the next lake they hear about. Remind me of some in the news media!! Takes all kinds, as they say.

Have a great upcoming Holiday weekend!

Good morning!

I only made it out once this weekend, but made it count. I hit the water about 5:15 am with my fishing partner.

We started out trolling the weedlines with rigs. It was slow but we mangaged to get a few bass, a small eye and a pike. Really nothing to brag about. After three hours of slow fishing, we decided to try another lake.

We started fishing out there about 10:00 am. I went to an old stand by spot on the lake. It is a reed point that has an underwater point that comes out with a sharp break off both sides. The wind was perfect for the spot. It seemed to concentrate the fish in a small area on the point. We anchored up wind of the area and pitched jigs and minnows towards the reeds. In an hour we picked up 3 eyes to keep and many more to throw back. Biggest was 18 inches. We also clobbered the crappies. Most were 9-10 inches. We also had a 28 inch pike.

It was a good day of fishing. Water temps were mid to high seventies. I used 1/8 oz orange stand-up jig and my partner used a green 1/16 oz round ball jig. Just a slow bounce retrieve for me and my partner jigged vertically.

Avid

It seamed like this fish was alot better last night. Caught 1 nice eye and 3 smaller fryers and small pike. all with spinners

Went over to a local lake today and caught 9 walleyes between the 2 of us in about an hour and forty five minutes casting Rapalas in shallow weeds. Biggest was 16.5, with most 13.5-14.5.

I just got home from taking my father out for a troll around the lake,was kind of surprised to catch 6 walleyes we also had 6 largemouth bass.The size could have been a little better but the action made up for that. As for presentation we trolled bottom bouncer/spinner combos at the weed edges.Quality time with dad is always a good thing!!!!

A little slower today for us but still picked up 3 in about the same time as yesterday between the 2 of us from 14-15.75 inches. Have not found one color or style of lure to work much better than others. Probably would have caught more if it wasn't so warm and sunny out. Water temp was already in the upper 80's, and we seen it as high as 87.3 degrees.

so did they cough up sunscreen when you landed them? smile I would have never thought of looking for aggressive walleyes in shallow(I'm assuming <6ft) warm(hot) water, during the day, in the middle of July, on a Wright/Sherburne Co. lake. Maybe that's why I'm a fisher and not a catcher.

You gotta tell us how you found them.

so did they cough up sunscreen when you landed them? smile I would have never thought of looking for aggressive walleyes in shallow(I'm assuming <6ft) warm(hot) water, during the day, in the middle of July, on a Wright/Sherburne Co. lake. Maybe that's why I'm a fisher and not a catcher.

You gotta tell us how you found them.

I occasionally find walleye in less than 8 FOW on this lake on the weirdest times (hot, and sunny days). You never know what you will find on the lakes!

I actually know of 2 Sherburne lakes, and one Wright lake that will give up shallow summer walleyes, but only after dark. You have to put a leech under a float, though. Not exactly on a feeding binge.

I actually know of 2 Sherburne lakes, and one Wright lake that will give up shallow summer walleyes, but only after dark. You have to put a leech under a float, though. Not exactly on a feeding binge.

Between the 2 days these were all caught from 11:45-7:15 in the afternoon, so we must not be thinking of the same lake.

I was able to get out last night before the storms hit the area.

It was a pretty slow 3 hours of fishing. We managed three walleyes, two keepers. One 16 and one 14. We also had one small pike. We missed quite a few bites as well.

The water temps were in the 80's. I was surprised that we found these fish in 8-9 ft of water along the wind blown shorelines. I caught my two on a holographic crappie spinner with a crawler. My partner had his on a jig and minnow.

I hope to get out this week and try to catch some slab crappies.

Avid

My daughter and I also put some time in Sunday evening,we had 1 pike and 5 walleyes[1@13",2@15"and 2@19"]. We trolled cranks in 9-12 feet of water with most of the fish coming from the calmest water on the lake,I thought this to be odd.

Hey everybody!

I went out last night for about 4 hours. What a nice night on the lake. Those of you that troll crank baits, I now know why it can be very addicting and tough to slow down for another tatic. We strictly trolled cranks in 7-10 ft along the windy shoreline. I used SR-#5 Rapalas with line counters. We did well in my eyes. We boated 10 walleyes, 8 pike, two smallmouth and one crappie. Our biggest eye was 15 inches, but we only had three dinks. The rest were 14 or better. The biggest pike was about 4 pounds. I know the size wasn't great, but the action was good. Fire tiger orange was a good color for me and also a chartreus with white bottom.

I think the reason this is working is because the walleyes seem to be scattered. You can cover lots of water trolling cranks. Once you find the stretch of shoreline that is hitting, keep working the area.

It was a fun night of fishing and the fryer will be hot tonight after work.

Avid

Went out yesterday and hit three lakes with terrible luck. Found most fish in 8-12 fow, but had a hard time getting the to bite. Switched to bobber fishing to keep the nephews entertained and managed a few sunnies. Good Luck out there!

Went out this morning for 3.5 hours or so and it was pretty slow (and muggggy). Caught 3 bass a pike, and had few short hits but pretty slow overall. 3 of the 4 fish were caught on Rapala Rattlin Raps in Bluegill and Red Crawdad.

Anybody fishing yet?

By the looks of the lake I was on yesterday, no one is fishing besides me.

I went out about 11:00am yesterday and fished til 4:00pm. I was surprised how comfortable it was on the lake.It was mostly cloudy and a nice breeze off the water kept me cool.

It always surprising me how shallow the crappies are this time of year. I think most people think these fish are roaming the basin. Some may be out there, but I can always seem to find fish less than ten feet and a lot of times less than 8 ft. I trolled the shoreline in 7-9 ft and picked up a few crappies. I narrowed down the area and drifted it with a jig and minnow. I ended up catching plenty of crappies.

Some people may not like to eat crappies in summer because they can get soft, but here is a tip to help that. Keep them alive as long as possible in live well. Have a big cooler full of ice in the boat. If they start to day, put them on ice until you get home.

I ended up catching a few small walleyes and a one northern as well.

It was a productive day on the water. Water temps were 78 to 80 degrees.

Avid

Hi Avid, the lake ur fishing at sounds fun. which lake is it in the hutchinson area? thanks

I am going to keep all lakes that I am fishing nameless. I will offer tips on how to find fish.

One of the biggest tips I can give people is to fish lakes that have high populations of the type of fish you are fishing. You can get that info on the DNR website. The site is down because of the shutdown, but when it comes back up, start looking at the lake surveys and you will see which lakes have the high numbers.

Avid

Great lake to catch carp and catfish!! I have plucked a few this year. If you get lucky you might catch a pike or walleye certain times of the year. The Buffalo Creek flows into Addie. I have caught many walleyes out of the Buffalo creek. People might laugh, but it is true.

Our rivers around here have nice populations of game fish. If you know what you are doing, you don't ever have to go to a lake to catch walleyes or pike.

Avid

• The title was changed to Annandale-Buffalo-Hutchinson fishing reports