• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I cant wait for it to open

Snake River  King

When do you think the river will open up and we can get some eyes and steargeon? Im going to bring up the jon boat and I want to get out there early

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm gonna predict a pretty short, over the ice period only this year.

With all the snow, I think the Forks are gonna be dumping huge amount of water when they let loose. All depends on how fast it thaws, but seems like too much snow for it not to muddy up this year, and I'm guessing it's gonna muddy up early this year. We had it great last year, so we're due for a bad one or two, I guess. I pray I'm wrong!!

Enough with the negative vibes Goose!

Way too early to guess. Have seen all kind of conditions lead to all kind of results. We did have a lot of snow but it didn't have any moisture in it as it came with very cold temps. The rains that we had this week took the snow down to nearly nothing so maybe we'll get a nice long season.

I'm working on the "River Gods" & hoping for a nice easy ice-out!

LOL. I apologize, Doug.

It's just that my work schedule this year isn't gonna allow me to come up and stay at your place this year, at least the week(s) I generally come. I was trying to convince myself I wasn't gonna miss anything this year. And if something changes with said schedule, I wanted to up the odds that nobody would be staying in the room we rented last year. wink Just kidding, of course.

I wish you a nice easy ice-out, and good luck with the "River Gods." I'm looking forward to a couple weeks from now when the Rainy Forum starts to come to life with Cabin-Fever Stricken Open Water Walleye and Sturgeon Addicts. I'm gonna have to miss this year the way it looks, but won't be able to go 2 years in a row. Note to self - make 2 week "floating" vacation for 2010. Done. Good luck.

No harm done Goose. I went down to the river with some tobacco and alcohol (couldn't find a virgin) and the "River Gods" are appeased once more. Just be careful from now on! There's only so much I can do.

Hope things somehow work out for you to make it up. Don't know that I can fully enjoy it knowing that you can't. RIGHT!

Doug (Royal Dutchman)

Is the ice about the normal thickness for this time of the year or is it less due to all the early snow? I was up late last fall and the river fishing was as poor as its been in the last 12 years. I was told that not many fish left the lake and made the fall run up the river. Have you noticed anything this winter, normal fishing or poor fishing like this fall? Thanks in advance for your response.

Ivy

I am with Doug. Trying to be/think positive.

We had alot of snow down here in Brainerd, but it is now nearly all gone. Lots of melting going on all around. I'm not much of an ice fisherman, so am not sure if there's more ice this year or not? Any insight on that?

No matter what, like Doug says, too early to tell. Seems we always get a bunch of snow late. And I remember fishing early April when it was below zero...I think two years ago. We went up and broke ice the first day. River froze up completely overnight, so we wound up going ice fishing downstream with a chainsaw and our summer poles. You just never know.

• 2 weeks later...

Ivy, sorry for the slow response. Been out on the sportshow circuit and for some reason can't post from my laptop?

Ice didn't get thick for a while due to flow & snow but the rains a while back settled the snow & actually made ice from the top down so got more now. Really don't think ice thickness has a serious affect on the thaw. When she goes, she goes.

Fall fishing was as bad as it gets! We did OK in November but never really got going. The shiners didn't run well, probably because the flow was so fast.

The big girls are coming in already & some don't leave. Heard second hand that my bud downstream popped a couple 29's last week. Got a bit of ice to play on yet but I'll be riggin' the boat the last week of March.

Thanks for the info Doug. I really appreciate your updates, I'll drop off some adult beverages for you the end of the month when I get up there. Thanks again.

Ivy, Taking a wild shot here but are you the Bud distributor that we visited with at the Birchdale ramp a couple years ago?

See your Iowa location. Fort Dodge or Mason City was it?

Glad to be of service and hope to see you on the Rainy!

I've got the boat itch. If the river isn't open at Birchdale by the 27th, I'll be the guy in the 16' lund sitting on the ice with a few holes drilled far enough away to comfortabley fish with my 6.5' rod.

Do you suppose if there is still ice under my boat I could agrue the legality of using 2 rods?

Doug

You are corret, I be the Bud Man. I'll look ya up end of the month or the first part of April. Can't wait.

I'm gettin' pumped for it already. A few buddies and I had a an absolute blast last year. We'll be back up this year the first weekend in April, come H or high water(literally). If the waters dirty, we'll deal with it. If we have drive to the Falls to put in, so be it. Spending a couple days in the boat while the rest of the state is still locked up is awsome just the same. Never the less, I'm prayin' for clean water with the rest of you.

when would be the best time to head up. i am gettin the itch. i have never made the river run but want to bad this year. thanks for any info.

iceman

How much snow is going to fall on the Rainy over the next few days. My guess is enough to keep the river from opening at Birchdale by the last weekend in March. Hope I'm wrong, but it doesn't look like any ice melting weather is in the forecast for another week or so.

Man is the f-ing open yet? Im going To have the jet drive out there this year, im planning on pushing the boat out on the ice till I get to the water

Don't nothin mean nothin for a couple of weeks. Not too worried about this snow though. There is very little moisture in it and the sun is really gaining power these days.

The last 7 days of the 10-day forecast are above 30F and I have seen the river open with no more than 30 degree highs several years.

The average daily high for Baudette hits 30F on March 27th.

Relax and re-spool the reels. I need 1 more trip to the island next week and then I'll start getting excited.

See you all at the NorthWest Sportshow!!!!

i'm hopin it stays locked for a couple of weeks too. can't get up there till the end of the month. i just emailed carl about a getting a room, hopefully it went through. let me know when you guys get a chance. i'm guessing you guys are probably a little busy moving snow right about now eek only rain down here and now it's one big ice rink, makes workin outside real fun mad

I would like to recant my post 4 back in this forum, I am for once going to show some faith in the weather man out of desperation. Starting Tomorrow, the Forcasted highs for East Grand Forks for the next week are 28,33,39,40,44,38,36,35. If the Baudette forcast shows anything similar, we could be on the river at Birchdale before the 28th. That would be the earliest in 3 years!

We are headed up sunday the 5th of april for a few days. I would assume the river is going to be pretty opened up by then, hopefully not muddied up yet. I had to pick a date, so we will be keeping our fingers crossed. I can't wait to put away the short rods and get out on the open water. This will be my third trip up to the river, it has always been a good time.

I had to do it, I checked the forecast for the Baudette area and now plan to hope for the best. Although the forecast does not state how much rain, it predicts it 4 out of the next 10 days.

Hopefully just enough to soften the ice but keep the Forks idol. Not much we can do other than to ride out the weather, spring fishing is always at the mercy of mother nature.