• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rainy River Fishing Report

Fished Thursday, Friday, and Monday on the river down stream from the airport and did okay each day. Took home limits with friends each day and caught too many to count in the slot. Finished with three 26 inch walleyes today alone and the best for the 3 days was a 28.75. Still looking for that first 30 incher. Weather was great tonight and had a friend come up and we fished for a couple hours tonight and put in 7 slot fish and brought out 4 from 15-18 inches. Best of luck to everyone coming up.

Fished Friday Sat. and Monday. Had great fishing. We launched at the Nelson landing in Birchdale. We caught about 40 - 60 walleyes each day. Most were males in the 17-22 inch range. Had a few females over the 25 inch mark. Rainbows and shinners were bait of choice. We use the Northland Tackle, THUMMPER JIG, tried a few colors gold and silver worked best. Our best luck was letting the wind push the boat up river against the current. Here are a few of the nice fish we caught on Monday.

th_IMG_0159.jpgth_IMG_0161.jpgth_IMG_0163.jpgth_IMG_0164.jpg

walleyehunter82, what part of the river were you fishing? I heard there were much better #'s caught farther up river this past weeekend. AM heading up again Friday and will head that way if that's the case....

Heading up in the AM for the day...Any suggestions? Have to go out towards wheelers point to pick up the boat...should we fish there or should we head up river and put in around vidas?

I'm heading up Friday night for a day of fishing on Saturday, cant wait! I hear all this stuff about fishing the Rainy River in the spring and I finally am going to go myself! Staying at Bayview lodge, any suggestions as to where I should even start? Never done this river thing before, always on the main lake.

yes that 34"er is a beauty, I might have to be up there saturday too,I bet the wait to launch is gonna be looong haha good luck to all.

get early to the launch and you won't have a problem... we fished friday, saturday, and sunday, and we were at the boat launch around 6:45 every morning and i don't think we had to wait to launch once. if you wait an hour or two after that, it gets to be a zoo...

Ya thats a pretty nice walleye!! Headin up friday to catch some of those size walleyes wink haha lol

We had an ok sturgeon bite on Sunday, we had some excellent advice from Matt Breuer and North Country Guide Service that paid off for us, as three of us went up and were all sturgeon virgins, but not any more. Caught 8 total, missed some more bites. Saw one other biggie get caught, and quite a few small to medium ones. Our bigs were 53 and 54x25. It was a great time and we'll be back sometime soon.

IMG_0145-1.jpg

IMG_0150-2.jpg

eyewitness Our best day we had 101 walleyes on Saturday and thats the only day we fished from dawn to dusk. We were in between Frontier and Clementson and we tried a few different spots and caught fish everywhere. We anchored up mostly, slip drifted a little bit, both produced fish. It was windy as hell when we were up, so decided to anchor up most of the time. Probably going back this weekend if the bite is still on.

Look foward to seeing some of you at the river.. I will be there Friday am and launching out of Vidas in a 1850 crestliner fishhawk green and tan dual counsel with a 125 Merc. say hi as you drift by!! Good luck to all and travel safe..

Ripper!! grin

Ill be up there on friday to. headin out of birchdale, hopin to catch some fish!!!!!!!!! wink

If I had a boat partner I would fish the next 3 days. Its hot up there. I know of 2 boats fishing up there now and both are doing very well with many big fish caught.

ya northlander, i was up there this past weekend for 3 full days of fishing and let me tell you, it was something else. lots of fun for sure!

Thanks Hunter! We are headed back up Thursday again for another three day round of fun. Might have to try by Pinewood (my old standby) and see what happens. I can't wait to get back up there. I'll be in a big white 1900 ProV with 225 Opti. Wave if ya drift by.....I'll be the one with the rod doubled over....lol

im heading up this afternoon...staying at royal dutchman's...looks like i might be fishing solo on this trip...ill be in a little white 14ft starcraft...hopefully with a doubled over rod grin

Fishing is insane on the river right now. We had motor issues yesterday so could only fish one spot with the trolling motor but managed 48 walleyes with 10 over 26 inches - one 29 and one 30 incher. With all of the big fish reports out there - that place will be a complete zoo this coming weekend. Color didn't seem to matter at all.

I'll be up with my 7 year old son for the closing weekend "zoo". Heading up friday night and fishing the weekend, hoping that Junior can top his personal best of 26", and he really wants to catch his first sturgeon. We'll be the 2 kids with the big grins on our faces gringrin

good luck to all that go up there. I'll be back next year for sure, if not one last trip this weekend...

Does anyone know of any place that you can dock a boat overnight on the river so you don't have to battle the crowds at the landings each day? Planning to be up Thurs. to Sun. so hopefully the fishing keeps. My daughter is getting pretty excited.

We always just pulled up to shore, took out all valuables and tied off to a tree with a long strong rope.

MARKM try Bayview lodge, but I'm sure there are others..

Going up this weekend, just wondering witch access is more convient and closer to Clementson? Do we want to go up stream or down stream from the access that you suggest?

markm pretty much any resort on the river. I try up by resort row closer to the lake was there last week and never took the boat out of the water. Borderview has $25 a night per person

FISH AWAY,

I believe Vidas is the closest landing to Clementson. It is only about a mile east of Clentson. Good Luck!! Maybe see ya on the river Fri.&Sat.

Ripper!!

Fished out of vidas on monday and tuesday. My first time on the river and what a blast! We Caught 46 eyes on mon and 26 on tues. 4 guys in the boat and vertical jigged with rainbows,fatheads,and plastics the whole time. 13 fish over 25 inches and 2 at 29in.

Myself and Mike will be staying at the Dutchman tomorrow night and fishing all day tomorrow and Friday out of Birchdale in a 14' white starcraft. If you see us holler and give us the hot bite info. grin

Kinda late in the season for a primer but had some guys go home early (paid for room) cause only 1 guy in the group was catching fish & need to say something. If you are not catching & your buddy is, think you ought to do what he is?

With 30-100 fish/day being caught, you almost have to try not to catch but I have been on the ramp after a 100 fish day and seen guys slamming gear around saying "there's no @#$%^&* fish in this river"!

Many diferent methods and gear that work but biggest problems I see are:

Ugly Sticks or other fiberglass, pool sticks type rods

Moving too fast down stream or eraticly

Too light of jigs

Too small of bait

Looks like it is going to be incredible right up till Wed. night! Even the showers fore cast for mon - wed won't be bad with 70 F! I love it when guys are "complaining" cause it took most of the day to catch their eaters. Most of their fish were too big!

I love fishing lakes and rivers where everything is too big. Fishing is incredible right now. I see no signs of it slowing. Basic vertical jigging at it's best. Stay vertical and you will catch fish. I have never seen a year where so many ten pounders were caught. What a river!

Jason Erlandson

• The topic was unpinned