Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Joe

Rainy River Fishing Report

Walleyehunter82

Thanx for that report, I was waiting to hear something from Tim. I hope those Forks keep holding.

Dano_the_jigasaurus

Just got another phone call from Tim. He said to tell everyone that this cold snap the last two days has SLOWED the bite way down. Sturgeon fishing has been about 1 for every 45min-one hour of fishing.

good fishing

hope the bite begins to pick up. warm temps next week hopefully will help.

ponzie

water temp needs to get to 39 then game on grin

ANYFISH2

Just got back form the river, fished Friday, Saturday, and half of today. I would call our trip a success! Considering the reports we were hearing, our expectations where low.

Friday we started the morning fishing outside the gap on the main lake, water was 33.8 degrees and air temp was 17 degrees it was cold! Managed one 17 incher and left at 11 am. We then proceeded to Vidas, not much going until about 5 pm then the water hit 35.5 degrees and the walleyes started! By the time we left at 7pm we managed 14 walleyes with the largest being a 27.25". We also had multiple sturgeon hook ups but didn't bring any to the boat.

Saturday started off beautifully fishing was o.k we caught and released 14 by noon. Also that morning our rookie fisherman Eli (age 11) caught his first sturgeon a sleak 46". The afternoon was slower but still caught fish through 6pm, then my buddie Ray hooked into a large sturgeon, which ended our walleye fishing for the day as it proceded to hang out in 10 ft of water for the next 1hr 30mins, what a battle! It ended up being a 63"x29 1/2" fish, it was a beast. Day two grand total was 29 walleye (largest 28 1/4") and 2 sturgeon. A pretty O.K. day.

Sunday morning was prefect!! Light winds, prefect flow, and aggressive fish! We managed 34 walleye and 2 sturgeon by 12:15pm, then our trip was over:(. The largest walleyes sunday were, 27 1/2", 25 1/2"(caught by Eli:)). with our largest sturgeon once again being caught by Eli, after a short battle after the hook set the sturgeon made a hard dive braking Eli's rod just above the first eye from the reel. What a champ he managed to fight out the fish and we pull up his second sturgeon this one 53"!

In all it turned out to be a great trip, with many new memories and the fishing was rather good and getting better. Water temps where climbing just over 37 degree and the bit was agressive most of the time, although we missed a huge number of bites (like always). The fish where very spot specific had to work short streches hard once you got bit but the fish were there.

Walleyehunter82

Finally a decent report! I hope the forks hold on. I'm coming up this week!

walros

We were up thursday, friday, saturday and sunday last week and fishing was slow. But saturday & sunday the fishing started really picking up. Must have had 8-9 over 27". Fished out by wheelers point and I think those of you that held out till this week are gonna have sore faces from smiling because the run is on. Keep a tight line and hook near the bottom and have fun.

Don't think you have to worry about the forks letting go, very little water moving from them ice is still looking very solid.

Mike Stark

looks like i might be heading up next week. thanks for the reports.

Royal Dutchman

Water temp. 38.5. Clarity 2 1/2'. Dropped in at noon and 30+ fish by 7 PM.

Bigs were 23, 24, 25, & 27. Best day for us so far but only better to come!

Mike Stark

RD,

can you please email me. i have a few questions for ya.

mstark83@hotmail.com

thanks,

mike

YiGGiN4SLoBS

what depths are most of the eyez coming out of? And does anyone know if the forks are in danger of letting loose in the next couple of days? We are heading up wed. through sat. morning and i hope we dont have to worry about that!

Mike Stark

RD,

i have some questions about your place. can you please email me.

thanks,

mike

Royal Dutchman

Sorry for the brief report last night but short on time and wanted to get something out to you.

Talked to some on river & ramp that weren't doing so good but we picked up good fish in the 2 spots we fished. Depths ranged from 10 - 20' and the 27" coming from 20' and the 25" from 10'. Hows that for a trend for ya?!

Talked to 1 of our "old-timers" who picked up 50 by fishing 1 spot all day. They were actually catching up into 6' of water in evening.

The ones that we saw not catching were moving way too fast in my opinion. Whether up stream or down we were never getting downstream of our jigs going down and covering maybe a 100 yds/hour going up. I fished with 3/8 going down & 3/4 going up(felt like dragging an anchor). Carl ran a 1/2 oz going up & Down with no problem. Boat control was very difficult with the wind yesterday but I feel it is 1 of the most critical components for catching fish.

Carl started with plastic but after I had 4 or 5 in the boat with 1 being the 27" he quietly slipped on a minnow and caught up in a hurry. Some of our bait was 3 or 4 inches long and saw the "non-catchers" with what I'ld use for crappie. I say it over & over but here it is again; Don't stop a few bucks short of a good fishing trip! Get good bait!

Looking at the sometimes right weather reports, doesn't appear to be anything that would do a number on the forks. Even if the ice does break-out, it doesn't have any flow to speak of to stir things up. We would have to get several inches of rain (and could) to have any real negative effect right now.

Seeing lots of theories on the river this year and not really sold on any single one of them. The formula just has way too many variables to set into 1 explanation, especially when the basis for most of our theories is what we remember from snapshot observations of years gone by. Only thing I know and/or care about right now is; Conditions are excellent and the bite is on!

Looking for our 1st 100 count of the year by the W/E.

DrStizo

"Some of our bait was 3 or 4 inches long and saw the "non-catchers" with what I'ld use for crappie. I say it over & over but here it is again; Don't stop a few bucks short of a good fishing trip! Get good bait!"

Dutch where would you recommend we grab bait? typically we used Lucky's and its boarded up so we are looking for a new place to get it. Man i use to love Lucky's, shame that Gary got ran outta there, but thats another story....

Royal Dutchman

Another story is right! Think that was the beginning of the end for Lucky's! Don't think Gary contribution to that business was understood or appreciated.

Good bait right beside the Ranch House in town or stop & see Steve at Log Cabin if you're heading out to Wheelers Point.

FISH AWAY

If the bite is just starting about how long will it last? Coming up next weekend wish it was this weekend.

Royal Dutchman

If conditions hold we will be catching until midnight on the 14th.

jseverson77

Hey Dutchman, since the river is really stained there is no night bite correct?

jwmiller33

would a 15hp 14ft boat with 3 guys be sufficient for the river and the current?

Royal Dutchman

While it is not impossible to catch eyes at night, the odds really, really, really go down.

Saw a 14'/15hp outfit with 2 adults & kid catching fish on the river yesterday. Seemed to be working fine for them. Wind really kicked up so hope they were close to their landing though.

Wind was a big factor for us yesterday. Had to fish where we could, not where we wanted. Screwed up and didn't get a good charge on batteries which didn't help either but still found fish.

Carl spanked me pretty good with a FAT 28" and a strong finish after I jumped to an early lead.

Sackett

Was up yesterday and was only able to fish from 8 to 3. The two of us caught about 20 down by the resorts but we did explore some new stuff that took some time away, could have had as many as 40 on the top end I would guess. Did not see anyone in that area that I would think could have hit 100 fish day. Must be more up river. We did get a legit 30" walleye and a a few others 24-26". Saw some other nice ones getting photos taken. We were good with 3/8oz slip drifting with the current, wind made it a little tricky at times. Will be back next week for sure.

hill7410

Does everybody up here just fish the MN side or do you guys purchase your Canadian license too? Just wondering I am coming up tomorrow.

Thanks.

ozzie

most fish the mn side

HOT SPOT

Like Ozzie said most fish MN side. If you do purchace a CA license make sure you know the rules. I believe there is a thread on it.

My question is where are most the fish being caught? the river are the lake? Cant wait for tomarow. Good luck to all

Thanks

walleyemaster08

does anyone think the river will still be good in the middle of the next week? Thanks

Bill Powell

It should be good till end of season the ice went out of the rivers a couple days ago and unless we get a lot of rain it wont get dirty again this spring.