Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Joe

Rainy River Fishing Report

rangerboy

Launched my 620 Ranger no problem at Frontier today. Saw one boat push over the ice at Vidas. Still shore ice there. Temp on my boat today didn't get over 31.5 degrees. Saw one walleye & one sturgeon caught the whole day of all boats. Talked to multiple people and DNR and many people only had bites and few fish. We had one nice fish get away. Fished to Vidas, shallow or deep didn't matter. Didn't mark many fish. Was cloudy all day today. Current was a little strong, clarity ok. Fishing was very slow. Hopefully better tomorrow. We need SUN.

Royal Dutchman

Haven't been to Birchdale for several days so others can fill that in but it was open for 1 ramp a week ago.

Frontier parking area has been plowed and ramp near water line is clear but drive area above ramp is kind of a mess. Took us 3 tries to get the Smoker out with the old Explorer. Saw several trucks with more aggressive tires do it with no problem.

Didn't make it down to Vidas but also heard boats pushed over there.

Open water about a mile below Rapid River where it is jammed up. Open holes all the way down to the Dutchman and several miles could open soon. Be sure to b careful of the rockpiles on the US side between the Rapid River & Silver Creek!

Fished below Frontier with no luck. Moved down to Pinewood bend and Carl & I had 2 fish on in 2 minutes. Thought we had found the spot. Fished till 7 PM at various locations without another bite.

Can't figure this out. Don't believe for a second that "the fish aren't up yet". Have caught well at temps from 32.5 up and my temp showed 35.5 yesterday. If temp was 31.5, water would be a bit crunchy. The clarity was a solid 18" even with heavy cloud cover & have caught good when worse.

All of our people caught some fish and saw 2 friers set up in parking area last night. Saw several hook-ups and several nets out during the day.

We'll be out there again today to see if we can figure it out.

LEECH21

Your group plans on heading up on the 18th. We will miss out on the walleyes this year, so hopefully the sturgeon are hot by then!

Good luck everybody!

jeepguy

Royal Dutchman, good to hear some promising news. We are leaving saturday night to fish sun, mon and tuesday, hopefully it just keeps getting better.

fishuhalik

Looking forward to it! Great to hear some better reports coming in. I'm guessing it's either gonna be a boom or bust this weekend. Either way, it'll feel good to get the long rods out!

heartattack22

From recent report on Clementson's website, things are definetly picking up...hopefully be up on Sunday!!!

BeezeHound

I'm taking off tonight! Have a couple friends fishing up there right now who called to tell me get my azz up there. They aren't hammering them yet, but said they have caught 34 in a little over 4 hours, couple dandy's too. I can't even think at work right now, lol. I just have to make sure I don't forget my rod in my mad rush to leave. See ya on the Rainy!

PerchJrkr

Can anyone substantiate these claims!?!?

computerboy

Well, I just got off the phone with a few of my buddies that are in two separate groups and their reports weren't nearly as glowing. They both confirmed that the water level had been dropping down steadily this past week and is clearing, but the current is still strong and the river seems to be leveling off a bit. While they have managed to pop a couple, they really had to work for them and it was an all day affair. They've also talked to numerous groups that haven't caught anything. Most guys they talked to seemed shocked when my buddies told them they caught a couple. There's a lot of open water though so who knows...the bite (if there really is one) might be very localized.

It's definitely good to hear that a few guys are catching something instead of no one catching anything. But based on all of the reports I've gotten from people I spoke to over the past few days, overall fishing success is still far from "good" by Rainy River standards.

While I'm hopeful, I'm a bit skeptical myself PerchJrkr.

EyeGuide

The reports are pretty spot on with the first hand reports I got yesterday. The water is clear but fast and if you put in a hard day’s work you'll yield around 10-20 walleye. They also reported getting a few hogs already. I'm headed up next week to enjoy some of that sunshine that's forcasted cool Good luck eveyone!

PerchJrkr

I love how this forum goes from 0-60 and back to zero in about 3 seconds flat this spring...

rangerboy

We fished from above Vidas to below the Rapids. We saw 2 fish caught the whole day and saw one boat with 3. No hook ups. We had one nice fish on and one sturgeon. I believe it may be locallized. My guage said 32 today but that must be off some or down in the water more than others. Many boats were pushing over Vidas today and some were backing in. No big boats yet. Talked to a few people at frontier and the hotel and they said they got a few when the sun came out othes said one or none. We went directly to Vidas area from Frontier. Maybe they were doing better back toward Frontier. Hopefully others will report in. We tried shallow, deep, slow, fast, with current and against, heavier, lighter, jig minnow, plastics and both. Must have been in the wrong place based on the reports above.

Hot-n-Tot

It just seems to me that the last 3-4 days of the season are going to be the best. Doubt the bite will be as good as previous years. Lottsa COLD snow to melt yet and the temp doesn't look like its going to get above 40 there for all next week. Who knows!! Lets face it...its been a snowy winter...more snow than other years....and it hasn't warmed up near enough yet. Late springs delay spring walleye runs!! Might still plan the trip over Easter but the reports have to get better in order for me to make the haul.

Ivy

Well for those of you waiting to go and those up there I will give you my report for 4 days of fishing. We fished Mon, Tues, Wed, Thursday and drove 10 hours home today. This was the 9th year the three of us have fished the spring season and this spring was tough to say the least. On Monday we started at the Blue Silo and worked down to about a mile from Frontier with no fish. We headed back up to an area very close to the Birchdale ramp and found some slack water and caught 8 really nice fish in a 150 yard strech of the river. Tuesday was a snow storm so we stayed right around the same area that was partly protected from the howling winds and caught 12 fish all day. Wed we put in at Frontier and fished many spots but ended up returning to the same slck water at Birchdale and caught 12 more. Thursday we fished that same strech for 4 hours and caught 10 fish in there. We did venture down to the Blue Silo to see if some fish had moved up but after an hour with no hits we moved back to the small area that had fish in and caught 7 more. The water really cleared up in the four days of fishing and the current went down considerably. The water temp on my boat was 34.5 on Mon, down to 32.1 on Tues and Wed and up to 33.9 on Thursday. You talk to 10 people and you'll get 10 different reason why the fishing is bad. The fact is the fishing was bad. If not for one spot on the river we might not have caught a fish. I think it will get better but don't wold me to it. Godd luck to all there and those going.

Roger

Doug at Royal Dutchman, sorry I missed you the other night, enjoy what I left.

computerboy

Well it can't get much worse I'm afraid (unless the Little Fork breaks of course). Fishing the Rainy River this time of year is not for the faint of heart, and if they aren't snapping it's hard to justify a run up. I think you may be right Hot-n-Tot...it looks like we might just see a flurry of activity on the last weekend of the season. I was planning on making a run this weekend and hit it for a few days, but I'm not liking the looks of the weather or the sound of these reports. It's bad enough when the bite's not going, but it's down right awful when the wind is howling 30MPH to boot.

Thanks for the honest report Ivy. I've cleared my calendar for late next week so we'll see how it goes.

Hot-n-Tot

A great big thanks for the great report Ivy!! You guys worked hard and it payed off!! Good job!! Hopefully I can make it up next w/end. 8 years in a row and only 1 that was a flop. Pretty hard not to go but money is tighter too this year so.....

Thanks again!!

Royal Dutchman

Hey Ivy (Roger)

Thanks for the care package! Must have missed you by minutes. Maybe next year, eh?

Reports are improved today! Ones and twos turned into teens and twentys today with some mid 20" fish reported. Had my best personal day so far with a nice fat 27" that Carl netted just as the stinger straightened out.

Temp didn't top out quite where it was yesterday (35.5) but had about 2 feet of vis compared to 18" yesterday so maybe that is the difference. Bite does seem to be really spotty with a few guys finding a nice hot spot.

Still talking to folks that aren't catching at all but see boats moving way too fast for good bait presentation. Sow & steady seems to be woking best. My $.02.

Hope we see this kind of improvement each day!

BeezeHound

Hurried up to Rainy last night to fish with a couple of my friends that caught em pretty good yesterday. We went out today and it was a totally different story. Caught 5 waldos and 1 sturgeon for 3 of us in 6 hours of fishing. Hopefully tomorrow will bring some better results.

computerboy

Well against my better judgment, I was somehow convinced by my buddy to come up early this morning rather than waiting until later in the week when the warm weather rolls in. In short, I should have trusted my instincts and stayed home. There are SOME fish being caught, but it appears that very little has changed from this past week in terms of the walleye bite. We popped a couple, and even managed a very healthy looking 23"...but that's it. Every group we talked to had very similar stories; 4 to 6 fish for the entire day with some guys in the boat not catching a thing. On a positive note though, we did witness several sturgeon caught today. I even managed to hook up with a dinosaur briefly before it bent my hook and swam off.

The forecast for the next few days calls for a whole lot of wind and very little sun. If we do manage make it out tomorrow, I'll post a report.

Ramps:

All systems go for big boats at Vidas, Frontier, and Birchdale

River:

Temp - 34 deg on our transducer

Clarity - up to 2 feet

Current - moderate to strong

Good luck to all those up here hoping for it to turn on!

rangerboy

After trying many of our usual spots, we finally found some walleyes. We didn't start getting them until the sun came out. Not sure if it was the sun or the spot we were in. We got 15, two 25" and one awesome 28" and the rest 22" and under. Saw a few boats getting some when we started to get them. Didn't see any big picture fish caught except sturgeon. Back up Wednesday to try again. Can't wait! Sounds like the next few days will be tough weather. Good luck to those up there.

Dutchmantoo

Had a group come in last night that reported getting six fish in a half hour right at dark all between 22" and 25 1/2". Two boats, five guys also brought in 10 eaters. Another group reported two 29s yesterday. Others didn't do as well but everyone got some fish. Doug is going out today so look for his post later.

Royal Dutchman

Making the rounds last night it seemed like the ones who caught Fri., caught Sat. and those that didn't Friday, didn't Sat.

Some caught until the sun came out and as posted above, some caught when it came out.

One group got into some big girls right before dark.

Forecast has some wind for today & Mon., then near perfect through the 14th.

fumanchew44

fished thurs afternoon to sat evenin. Only five on thurs, biggest was a 25". fri ended up findin a little honey hole and made a late run, ended up with 15 and 1 sturegon. Then sat hit the same spot caught 3 our first pass biggest bein a 25 1/4" and then made two more passes with no fish (think the sun might have hurt us a bit). Searched all the way up to the baudette bridge pickin up a couple more slot fish and 1 more sturegon. Went back to our spot at sunset and anchored. Picked up a 27 a 25 1/2 and a few more we had to throw back. Want to thank the fine gentlemen at the dutchman once again for an amazing job making us feel at home!!!!! Good luck to those makin the trip this year!!!!

Royal Dutchman

Had our best day so far. Full sun all day added a degree to river temp even though air temp hardly got above freezing. Wind was gusty and brutal but fish were actually "whacking" the bait for the first time. Tips were freezing as was line on the spool but enough fish action to keep warm.

Fished 10:30 -2PM with 2 buddies with 15 - 20 fish, threw them out and picked up Carl till 7ish for another 15 - 20 fish. Nothing huge. Biggest 23, 4 or 5 20's 19, 18, beautiful 18" sauger and on down.

Fish were hitting hard but would sometimes hit once and be gone. We probably missed half our bites and I caught 90% on the stinger. Nice to have agressive fish!

Heard lots of 1 & 2 fish reports but saw a lot of boats moving much faster than us. We were resisting the current and letting our lines go behind the boat, very slowly drifting down stream.

ducksnbucks

We fished for sturgeon friday and saturday morning and did fairly well. We landed 18 and lost 3. Biggest was 56" with 3 others over 50". Didn't see much for walleyes get caught but the water temp seemed to go up a bit with the sunshine. Good Luck.