• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rainy River Fishing Report

Anyone been ice fishing the river or is it unsafe? Wondering if the fish have started to show up in the river?

I have heard people fishing on the river in the Wheelers Pt area from 4 mile bay to the Church. Don't have any actual reports, but I know they've been fishing it recently.

Last year at this time people were still fishing the river East of Baudette, and all of the way to Vidas, in the evenings.

The river is always unpredictable and can be very unsafe in spots this time of year. However, the open water progress is way behind obviously based on all of the reports. Use common sense and be safe. You could run into a pretty solid bite early and late in the day.

???

I missing something.

meaning every tom Dick and frank from the chities will be up this weekend!

Oh ok, after 16 years of being a Dick/Harry Rainy river is the one place the crowds don't bother me at all. Even our 3+ hour wait last year at Birchdale.

I'm with yah, it’s not the best place for some hot-heads, and patience is needed. But it’s kind of neat to meet new people and talk fishing with others that you normally wouldn't say more than high too.city

I have been fishing the Rainy in the spring for many years. Waiting to unload and load, mixing in with the 100's of boats, and roaming the river is part of having a exceptional place to catch fish. I have had some great experiences over the years catching walleyes and sturgeon on the Rainy along with the problems of fishing in a crowd.

I will splash down at Birchdale when my turn comes on Saturday morning in hopes of catching some fish. I invested in a new Ranger 621VS Fisherman and can't wait to power it up.

I have met many folks over the years from all over Minnesota, Canada, and other states on the Rainy. Stay home if you wish, but you are missing out on a good time.

I am fourtanate in that I have a place to stay up there whenever I want and am ready to get on the water as much as the next guy, but I am going to pass. Its just not worth it. I can go in late May and catch all the fish I care to catch and not deal with the hassel and have more elbow room. Late May this year should be great, if not the river, then the shallow depths on the lake!

Report is that Frontier has been cleared. Little bit of shore ice remaining. Just passing on the information.

Put in at Indus....great fishing...lots of size categories caught this week.

very well said Jake. I love the river, goat show and all. It is not nearly as bad as fishing on a big lakes (Winnie, Leech) in the community spots. The river does a nice job of keeping everyone moving along. And for the most part everyone that you do interact with is a good guy just like we try to be. The hot heads, well that is there problem.

IMO there is not other place in MN that you have a better chance at catching that many big fish. I have experienced some incredible days on the river.

I've read some posts on Facebook from respected people that the river clarity has really taken a hit and catch rates aren't the greatest.

Anybody have any first hand "real" reports? I've heard enough from the resorts and tourism people, I'd like to hear from the fisherman.

Fished out of frontier today and all the way to the end of the icepack. The water really got dirty by afternoon with lots of junk floating. Walleyes bit ok in the morning for some but hardly seen a walleye caught anywhere in the afternoon.However, we did get a 31 incher for our group but only caught 4 walleyes total. I spoke with the county guy directing traffic at the access tonight at dusk and he said the best boat he talked to only caught 10 walleyes. However, the sturgeon bite today was one of the best I ever seen. We caught 7 of them while trying to catch eyes and seen many many caught. We may switch to sturgeon tomorrow if the river is still dirty. That is as honest as I can get from our outing today. Hope this helps

can anyone give me some insight into the current speed? Usually with the junk and debris coming down the current is moving at a pretty good clip. Ill be heading up Monday to fish so hopefully it is stable by then, but never know, could be blown wide open by then as well.

As of yesterday the river is very low below the dam in I Falls. Here are a couple readings at each end of the river. There is a gauge at Manitou Rapids but it doesn't report velocity.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?05137500 - Wheeler's Point

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?05129515 - Shorewood access in I Falls

Fished out of frontier today and all the way to the end of the icepack. The water really got dirty by afternoon with lots of junk floating. Walleyes bit ok in the morning for some but hardly seen a walleye caught anywhere in the afternoon.However, we did get a 31 incher for our group but only caught 4 walleyes total. I spoke with the county guy directing traffic at the access tonight at dusk and he said the best boat he talked to only caught 10 walleyes. However, the sturgeon bite today was one of the best I ever seen. We caught 7 of them while trying to catch eyes and seen many many caught. We may switch to sturgeon tomorrow if the river is still dirty. That is as honest as I can get from our outing today. Hope this helps

Thank you rocky. This was the type of report I was looking for. Might not be an optimal report but it seems honest.

Interesting to hear about the sturgeon!

Thanks Vman and Rocky, I just backed my boat back in the garage, the snow in Duluth is coming down hard

Fished Thursday from FJ to mile west of birch dale and fishing was slow all around. Friday pushed over ice at frontier and headed toward the ice. 6:30-7:30 fishing was good but man did it die off after that! Moved all around and saw a few caught but the sturgeon were a biting!! I didn't see a lot of big ones but it seemed every one was catching them. I hooked into a few but it's challenging to control the boat around the ice and other boats by yourself!! The big white Lab in the front had a great time watching the 'eyes come in the boat! Wasn't the best fishing but I guarantee I've had worse. Good luck boys and be safe, and don't be the D-bag at the access. Just relax you're just fishing!

Report today was about the same as yesterday. 1 walleye for our boat but did get some sturgeon. Went all the way to the end of the ice pack which was a couple miles west of the church on the Canada side. Seen only 2 walleye caught but many sturgeon again. Time for me to pull the plug a day early. Not the bite as years past but that's fishing. Good luck

Up fishing for sturgeon this weekend. So far skunked today. Went out of birchdale and headed up river a mile or two. Any advise on where I should be fishing? What depths? In the channel or off in eddies? Any help is appreciated as I don't know what I am doing.

Up fishing for sturgeon this weekend. So far skunked today. Went out of birchdale and headed up river a mile or two. Any advise on where I should be fishing? What depths? In the channel or off in eddies? Any help is appreciated as I don't know what I am doing.

Jeregonn what was the current like? Did it seem fast? Is clarity good or does it seem muddy?

Looking for an update to the water conditions.

The current is strong, water is brown brown but I am not sure how it usually is. I can see about a ft and a half of my anchor rope

Fished all day yesterday out of vidas. Ran both ways. Fishing was slow. We caught 5 fish. Only two respectable ones. Only saw 2 other fish caught all day. 4 ounces of lead was plenty of weight. Never did mark a school of fish. Couple here and there

I was looking at the webcam from sportsman's lodge this morning and tonight and this morning there was a few pockets of open water. This evening the middle towards canada side was opened!

Just returned home last night. Fishing this year was slow compared to years past. In fact I caught the fewest fish per trip ever this year. and Ive done this for 14 years now. However, the big fish were the ones to be caught so really cant complain. Sometime yesterday the rapid river gave loose and was completely blown out. It went from consistent river conditions, current,color,debris to complete chocolate milk, fast current and tons of debris.......unfishable west of the rapid. My experience has been a few days and all is back to normal. But when it broke loose you knew it!

Good luck to guys fishing this weekend. THe bay should be open. Ice was stacked up just south of sportsmans yesterday afternoon. Otherwise timber mill will be open as well as airport access. I also talked with some guys at Wigwam sat night that fished near town all week and they did very well. Not numbers, but big fish including a 66.

thanks for the report JacobG. I'm heading up early Friday morning so not sure where to start, ice pack or near Baudette.

MR

Sounds like 4 Mile Bay is about 40% open, and the Wheelers Pt. ramp will be open this afternoon or for sure tomorrow. Most of the resorts have updates on their Facebook pages if you want to check it out there.

The wind, sun and current really ripped up that ice the past few days! Also heard from a source that the Rapid River was raging this weekend. He also said the Little Fork opened as well. Unsure of what it might do to the fishing but thought I'd pass it along. If anyone else has updated info on the ice out in 4 mile bay or on the feeder rivers post it here!

Vman,

you know how long till the forks start to bottom out and water clear up once it lets loose? Heading up this Friday and hope the water slows and clears up by then.

thx

MR

• The topic was unpinned