• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rainy River Fishing Report

Northlander and srj - yeah, that was us. Bill is pretty recognizable in his rig, and has been going up there for years. That is sort of how we met. I was "incogneeto" fishing in his boat. First time I have been up there in someone else's boat other than mine in about 10 years plus now. Gotta say I enjoyed not having to worry about boat control. It was cool to be able to just focus on fishing. Must have been someone else at the Ranch House though.

Trying to decide if I should do the responsible thing and stay home this week, or if I should go back up for round 3? Hard to pass it up when the fishing is as good as it has been. I've got a feeling this decision is going to come down to the wire.

Tim Anderson you still out there or are you still out pounding them big eyes? I hope its going good and you dont get too wet the next few days.

All I can say about yesterday is windy windy windy. At one point we had two anchors down and still were blowing up river. We had a good time though and caught quite few especially twoards dark when things calmed down and I could control the boat the way that I wanted to.We took my buddies boat and realized that there he has no tape measure on it so we just kept a couple that were a good safe 16. Jig selection did'nt seem to be that critical because we caught fish on every jig that we tried. No problem fishing 1/4 and 3/8 right now with how light the current is compared to what it can be this time of year, Kabetogama and all the feeder lakes are as low as I've ever seen them.

Went out of Birchdale this afternoon. 3 people fishing. using 3/8 to 12 ounce jigs and rainbows or fatheads. Caught about 30 walleyes and 1 sturgeon in about 3 hours of fishing. I was lucky enough to catch the biggest walleye. It was a nice fat, spawn filled, female. Measured just over 29 inches. The one sturgeon we boated was around 45 inches. My tape on my livewell ends at 36 inches so no exact measurement. Good luck to everyone headed up!

Fished Friday, Sat. and 1/2 of Sunday. Although the #'s were not like I have experienced in the past, the size average was mind boggling. We caught so many big fish it was just hard to grasp....

My brother managed to eclipse his personal best several times this weekend culminating in a 30-1/2" fish that was just enormous. He also managed (2) 29-1/2" fish as well as an incidental sturgeon. He is still smiling I believe.....Another guy in our boat also beat his personal best with a 29-1/2" piggie.

I couldn't crack the 28-1/2" mark this year, however that just gives me an excuse to go again next year.....lol

All said and done we managed (1) 30.5", (3) 29.5", (2) 28.5", (1)27.75",(1) 27.5", (2) 27", roughly thirteen between 26" and 27", and so many between 25"-26" we lost count. It was one heck of a trip we won't soon forget.

fished all day last saturday and only caught 8 fish all day nothing over 18 in... used every kind and color jig we had 1/4 to 1/2 oz. That was from that big church south of sportsmans to 4 mile bay. Every one else we talked to had about the same thing to say. and we only saw a half a dozen fish caught... did they move down river?? plan on going back up fri night looking for a tip or two..

I wouldn't plan on fishing walleyes friday! The season closes after Wednesday the 14th. FYI

With one day left of the 2010 Spring season, just wanted to say THANK YOU to all our great people! Had a rather slow (but early) start but man, did things heat up. Can't even begin to tally the number of "personal bests" reported or the number of over 30's (I'm still waiting)but never get tired of the grins we see around the place.

Had difficulty heading for the island Sunday with all the great reports coming in but terrific opportunity to get projects started out there. The wolves howling over a kill Sunday afternoon on the island next to us made up for it.

Will see some of you throughout the year at one place or the other and for the rest, see you next spring.

Thanks again!

you can not target eyes after midnight tomorrow. you will be fined big time if you are caught fishing for walleye after the season is closed. they can take everything. if you do it you might end up learning the hard way.

Why would you want to?? It's plain stupid for one, and it gives us fisherman a bad name/wrap. This type of behavior is not sportsmanlike, and I think you should consider the consequenses before you blatently break the law.

Mike S. - Nice avatar;)!

I was just giving you a heads up!

Remember it is a privlage to be able to fish this river (for walleyes) till April 14th, if that not enough time for you than thats a shame. Let'em a have a rest for a month and go get in May.

Thanks for telling in advance of your illegal expliots, remember "people" read this forum!!

you are all right about fishing them out of the season didnt realize how bad of an idea it was, till another guy from my work said the same thing to me earlier today... sorry to get everyone riled up! Thats somethin i will remember for a long time to come thank you

Hey Royal Dutchman- thanks for the hospitality on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. fishing was top notch- 29.75,28.50,28, 2 27's and many under the slot as well. What a great year for spring fishing on the rainy. Hope everyone had a blast and was safe.

Tori's Dad,

Thanks for coming & appreciate your honesty on the 29.75 eye!!!!! How many of those do you think get call 30's? By this time next year, yours might be a 30 though!(LOL)

FM'ers ARE THE BEST!!!!

Well all the talk is about getting up to fish the Rainy River some year is no longer the spring topic. I just had to get up there and finally check it out, Thanks for all the great reports this year; I don't think I could have made it throught the summer not experiencing the bite personally. I called Ryan Traxler of Fishtraxx Guide Service and he made it a first timers memorable experience. I just wanted to say thanks Ryan; you definitely know the Rainy River with many BIG fish to prove it. I look forward to fishing with you again. It was an awesome trip. We were able to fish the last two days of this season and take a few camera shots too. I'm not sure how to put pictures on the post but you can see them on Ryan's Website fistraxx.com

How many of those do you think get called a 30 ?

within a few years they might even "grow" to 31 or 32 smile

River is still very low. Water temps 50 today. It got up to 53 Monday.

Sturgeon are being caught but not fast and furious. Good news is they are running big in the mid to upper river. I got a 49" on first cast of the year. But only two more rest of day 55" & 40". I talked to several others who got fish over 60" in the past week. I could use a partner if anybody is interested. It is tough fighting and LANDING these big gals by myself.

I haven't heard anything about the bite down by LOW.

Has anyone been out Sturgeon Fishing closer to the Baudette / Clemson area lately?

Headed up this weekend with a group of 5... know we're later than desired, but hoping to make the best of it.

marine_man

Here is our top 6 fish for our boat from last weekend........

John's 55 to start the weekend off on Thursday in the bay...

DSCN2770.jpg

Dan's 62 incher from Friday in the bay.

DSCN2798.jpg

Dan's 63 incher Friday in front of Wigwam....

DSCN2827.jpg

Mike's 61 incher down from Clementson on Saturday.....

DSCN2841.jpg

Mike's 58 incher down from Clementson on Saturday.....

DSCN2843.jpg

John's 50 incher Saturday evening down from Clementson....

DSCN2845.jpg

Very Nice!

Do you guys think more numbers of the fish are up river now, closer to Clementson area?

Headed up this weekend for a few days, any tips would be greatly appreciated guys.

Thanks,

Everything pointed to a better bite upstream this past weekend Ed.

I think the warmer temps have spread the fish out and a lot of the bigger fish have found their way up there sooner.

Good info, Thanks DTRO!

I see the water temp is now lurking around 54 - 55 degrees on average.

DTRO if your free to chat a few minutes this morning can you drop me a call at 701-640-8556 please.

Thanks,

Ed

Big fish have been caught the full length of the river for several weeks now.

One of today's catch, this one tagged and reported to DNR.

Rainy2010-4-26-Sturgeon2.jpg

oops, sorry I missed this Ed

feel free to shoot me an email dtrofishon at gmail

OK..no worries bud...shot off an e-mail today...thanks.

Ed

• The topic was unpinned