• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rainy River Fishing Report

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Great Rainy River Fishing Reports and River Conditions Reports follow. For current information click the highest number on the upper right of this post.

Feel Free to ask questions about the fishing or river here as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Posted by Dutchmantoo just now:

Just got back from Manitou Rapids and looks like the river is open a little west of Emo.

Looks like it will be fishable below the rapids for the hardy, or fool hardy, any time.

Stopped at Franze Jevne for a look, still lots of ice, but it was moaning and groaning pretty good.

Weather forecast looks good for the next few days with lows above freezing, with some rain forcast, hopefully not too much.

Thanks for the report! It's great to hear a fresh report. Is Nelson the name of the park at Birchdale? I've been there so many times, you'd think that I would remember. Also, I'm not seeing Emo on my map, is that between Manitou and Indus or more west? How much snow is on the ground in the area?

Emo is on the Canadian side across from Indus. There is a Nelson Park in Birchdale.

Nelson is the name of the park at Birchdale. Snow has going fast the last few days and the landings were no problem getting into today, just wish there was water at the end of them.

Loman does not have a gas station. Small store at Birchdale and there is a gas station at Pelland that has bait.

As Dutchmantoo reported yesterday it's not much differant this morning - there is open water just west of Indus/Emo or around 6 miles from Birchdale.

It's supposed to be warmer today so it should start moving west shortly.

Opened up a bit today. Best GUESS, based on weather reports, observations, and a couple years of anxious watching, we will be pushing boats over ice by late next week. Plans to launch a boat from a trailer by next W/E at Birchdale should be confirmed before travel. if river opens up to ramp by Thursday we may be able to get the ramp cleared on Friday if not the next week.

Will post more as we have more. PLEASE! Do not blame us (Doug, Marilyn, Carl, & Ally) if the weather doesn't do what the weathermen (who make lots more money than us) don't get it exactly right and our "best guess" is not correct.

RD thanks for the update I know everyone is "best guessing" right now. Hope to see you out there.

Just got a call from Doug (Royal Dutchman)at Birchdale and said the river is open from the rapids to the landing. About half the river on the US side. Next view of the river to the east was open bank to bank. He is going to stop again on his way back from IF and will up date again this eveing.

We stopped in Birchdale last night around 7ish on the way back from LOW to check on the progress. Could see some open water to the east, only a slot 50x100 ft wide then there was some water to the far east must have been the rapids. Sounds like she has been making good progress!

I'm planning on heading up on Tuesday the 31st. It sounds like we're on schedule to use the ramp at Birchdale by than, but I'll keep checking back here. Thanks for the updates! Much appreciated!!!

Johny, must have just missed you. Good pic! Stopped on our way back from the Falls and open a bit farther in front of the landing. Quite a bit of shore ice but open on the US side & Carl & I are planning to push over tomorrow AM. Got the boat running & loaded to go.

We were a bit concerned with rain but didn't see a lot of water in ditches east of Loman, which has more impact on river & color than anything west. The "Forks" are looking solid which is a very gooooood thing.

Don't want to see cooler temps forecast but it may help to slow run off and keep color down. Gotta be careful what we wish for.

The bad news is; talked to some Kooch County fellas at the ramp this Am and they said plan was to let ramp open "naturally". Not a lot of shore ice but be sure to check ahead for condition report before planning to launch boats from trailers. Could be a good chance for small boat guys to take advantage!

Not a lot of water to fish yet and forecast make us think it will not be moving too fast. Don't see the temps that would shut us down like a couple of years ago (remember that Tim A?) but B-dale is open & let the games begin!

Will try to post tomorrow if arms aren't too tired!!!!

I was going to stop in and say hi but I screwed around and got in B>S session in Baudette so I was already behind.

I did take a look at the little boat and decided ah heck let the walleye guys have at it and I will do my normal one week delay and wait for the Sturgies after the main rush is done.

It was nice to watch her flow up by Pelland, I even put my hands in the water(old tradition).

Don't see the temps that would shut us down like a couple of years ago (remember that Tim A?) but B-dale is open & let the games begin!

Yeah, how could I ever forget. I caught a 27 inch walleye, stopped for about 20 seconds to take a picture and it turned white. Wind chills were well below freezing that day, and after that night, that was the end of it for awhile.

81560019.jpg

My boat still has a big divit in the keel guard from breaking ice.

That's the only year I fished the Rainy in the boat one day, and then ice fished it the next day.

you will never know how jealous i am right now! just make sure you leave some in there for us grin if you would like to switch jobs for the rest of the week just give me a call whistlewhistlewhistle

Doug--

Your post about the Kooch County Crew not cleaning the ramp this year is pretty concerning...

Not cleaning the ramp will lead to two things, and they are both bad: People not coming and supporting the Kooch and Lake of the Woods County economies, or, hundreds of people coming and risking life and limb backing big boats over shore ice. I've done it, it works okay, but let's face it, its a matter of time until someone takes a permanent swim or dumps a full rig in the water. I sure hope they step up like they have (wonderfully) over the past 10 years I've fished the special spring pre-spawn...

...concerned, but coming anyway...

Yeah, I would like to see the ramp cleared also. The statement I received was from a county employee but he could have been misinformed or misunderstood. Maybe there's still hope.

Luckily, there is not much ice on the ramp or in the river for that matter. Wouldn't take much to clear it with a couple more days of good weather but not sure when we'll get that. I'm betting that the county will be busy for a few days with the weather coming in anyway.

River is open for about 2 miles below B-dale. Carl & I fished 4 or 5 hours mid-day with only 1 bite. Carl reminded me that last year our first day was the same and 2nd day was fantastic.

Water has heavy stain but not muddy with about a foot of visibility even with the very heavy cloud cover today.

Water temp actually rose from 33.5 to 33.6 while we fished so hope the good stuff is coming.

leaving now for the evening bite on the river by the golf course will report water and fishing conditions later when I get back.

i heard a rumor that getting bait might be an issue in the area. Will be up there next thur am. Is there any truth to this???

• The topic was unpinned