Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Joe

St. Croix River Fishing Reports

2,589 posts in this topic

I hope to be out early next week.  Weather and river level depending.  Will post a report if I make it out.  Boat all ready to go.

Any reports? I know there was a lot of people out there. The boomsite access was already 3/4 full when I drove by at 5 AM. I'm thinking about going out of blufflands park on Friday. 

I was out for the opener, camped on the islands, water level was about 2 to 2 1/2 feet lower than last year at this time But Water temp was COLD 43* average from Friday morning to Sunday morning...Not the most debris in the water that I have seen but lots of crap to clean off the lines and to steer around

Fishing was OK, But not great, and they had not spawned yet so I tossed them all back

Fished out of bluffs park today. Was first time I've ever been down there. Was pretty nice. Fishing was slow! Doesn't sound like anyone was catching anything. Didn't find any white bass. I did catch something very unexpected however...a 19.5 inch brown trout! Just more proof that you just never know what you'll catch on the croix :grin: also caught 3 largemouth bass, 2 smallies, and 2 hammer handles. 

IMG_6019.JPG

1 person likes this

Fished out of Stillwater, hoping I'd have better luck than the day before.was not the case! Was even slower! Water too high, and too cold. Lots of boats out, but I didn't see anyone catching anything. I caught 3 pike, a white bass, and a 17 inch largemouth bass. Hopefully things warm up before I head out there again next Friday.

I had some pretty good fishing on Sunday morning. Trolling with lead core, caught 6 walleyes with 3 under 15 and 3 over 15. Biggest was 22, and also got a nice northern, maybe went 6-8lbs. 

2 people like this

Sorry for the really late report.  Was out last Friday morning and fished the Hudson area for about 5 hours.  Community spot for a good portion of it.  Managed to land 9 walleyes and 1 sauger.  4 of the walleyes were keepers between 15 and 17 inches.  Fish were caught between 18 and 20 feet of water. No other species caught.  The usual program of cranks with snap weights.   Good luck out there.

1 person likes this

Fished the Kinni area yesterday afternoon/night solo.  Lines in the water at 2:30 and done by 6:45.  Fishing was pretty good, by my standards anyways.  Caught 12 walleyes and 3 saugers.  4 of the eyes were between 15 and 17 inches.  Fish caught from 15 to 20 feet of water.  Water temp was 57 to 58 degrees.  No other species caught. All fish returned to fight another day.  Same program of snap weights and crank baits.  Good luck out there. 

1 person likes this

The Croix has not been good to me so far this year. Went out of William O'Brien on Friday, thinking the white bass (or anything for that matter) would be active. Nope! Caught 1 smallie, and 1 whitey. We did, however, get attacked by a giant prehistoric sized beaver. Gonna give the river a break for awhile. Maybe go back to trout fishing. :whistle:

Can't let SC get all the glory, so here's a pic of our haul on opener a couple of weeks back. All caught north of Stillwater using jig-n-min and 3-ways with original Raps in 15-23 FOW. Since then, all success on 3-ways, but soon will switch over to snap weights with Shad Raps. Also, I just ordered some Scatter Raps due to SC's success with them and will report back with results soon. Good luck! 

fish.jpg

1 person likes this

Great report Gimp.  Thanks for the info.  I have found the Scatter Raps to be as good and sometimes better than the normal Shad Raps, but that's just me.  I get the Deep Diving ones - think on the package it says 8 - 11 feet and then add snap weights to get down to desired depth. Of course Firetiger has been the best color by far. Look forward to more reports.  Good luck out there.  Haven't made it out recently due to the poor weather.

SC - Yeah, I'm excited to try the Scatters. The three colors that always produce (if there is any bite at all) are fire tiger, perch and chartreuse so that's what I loaded up on. Perch has been hot as of late. With all the rain, things are on hold--same as you. Will hang out in garage and fry up some SCR walleye, have a couple beers, watch some hockey and look forward to clear skies.

Herky Jr. picked up a couple nice white bass, one trolling and one jigging. We turned them into delicious fish tacos!

IMG_2717.JPG

IMG_2725.JPG

3 people like this

Since the water is still fairly high and full of a lot of debris (at least north of Stillwater), I haven't tried the Scatters much lately. Instead, going with the tried-and-true method of jig-n-meat combo. Was out Saturday late afternoon for a few hours and bought home one short of a SCR limit using leaches. Largest was 20" (biggest I'll keep on the river unless it's a lifetime trophy). Even north of Stillwater, the river is nuts with pleasure boaters galore, but a guy can still find some solace in spots and catch fish. Good luck!

fish.jpg

3 people like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Chevy Nation
      By Chevy Nation
      I was wondering if and there is any good fishing in Hastings during the summertime lake Rebecca, lake Isabella, Vermilion River, or anywhere off the banks of the Mississippi? I haven't caught anything yet this year and I am itching to catch anything now. Just a fyi I just bank fish.

Thanks in advance!
    • Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

On the Minnesota side, water temperatures have dropped in the past few days due to the strong winds in the area, making boat control a challenge. Wind-blown shorelines have plenty of active fish between 4 and 14ft. Productive presentations include Rapalas and spinner rigs.  The Flats south of Flag Island have stayed consistent this week with a 30” walleye coming out on Saturday!

Muskie fishing is now open and underway in the Northwest Angle. With cooler water temps, fish location and activity has been sporadic. Walleye action off Gardener and Deepwater reefs continue to fill limits with gold and pink jigs being the hot colors in Canada this week. 

We hope to see you soon!

Sunset Lodge Staff

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Greetings from Sunset Lodge!!

Fishing is holding strong up in the Northwest Angle! Both the East and West side of Little Oak have been producing large amounts of Walleye and Sauger between 17 and 22ft, with the largest walleye coming out of Sunset Lodge being 29 inches. The flats on the South side of Flag Island (5-7ft) have been putting fish in the box. Spinners and Jigs in Orange and Black are this week’s hot colors. Sharp breaks on the west side of Flag have also been productive. Numerous slot fish coming from the South East side of Garden Island with water temps in the mid to high 60’s.

Our biggest Walleye coming out of Canada this week was a 29.5 inch pig. Jigging seems to be the most productive with gold or pink jigs from tranquil channel to Monkey Rock reef. Gardner Island also been hot up shallow on the South side with Orange and Gold jigs. 

Starting Saturday Muskie season is upon us and the fish are hungry! 

We hope to see you soon!

Sunset Lodge Staff
      218-223-8211
      info@sunsetlodgeresort.com

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Greetings from the Northwest Angle!

With water temps reaching 67 degrees and steadily on the rise, Minnesota is producing fish close to the island at various depths all throughout the day, from shallow rocks to as deep as 26 feet. As long as you are confident in your approach, limits can be obtained on Spinner baits, Daredevils, jigs and spinners. 

It is a fun time to be fishing in Canada, with multiple fish over 20" our best results have been on jigs (orange and gold specifically) with a minnow. Rocky shorelines are producing great numbers of Smallmouths and we are starting to see weeds develop all over the Angle and islands. Just a reminder: Muskie season opens on June 17th!

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Another fantastic week of fishing up in the Northwest Angle!

Two weeks into the Minnesota season an abundance of saugers are congregating around Little Oak, as well as other small islands near Crow Duck, making for an easy shore lunch spot while staying close to home. Jigging at 18-24 has produced the most fish but it isn’t too early to be pulling spinners.

On the Canadian side, walleyes are more dispersed but very plentiful on main lake points with current anywhere from 15-20 ft. of water, holes remain consistent.  Almost any method is producing fish, gold/yellow/orange jigs with a minnow seems to be the most popular.  The northern pike bite remains strong with many thirty plus fish being seen. 

We hope to see you soon!

Sunset Lodge Staff
      218-223-8211
      info@sunsetlodgeresort.com

• flagislanddan
      By flagislanddan
      Greetings fishermen and women! Its great being back in the swing of things and better yet in the boat! Both the MN and Ontario season is now open and fishing has been great! Staffers here at Flag Island Resort have been busy getting ready for the upcoming summer months with some deep cleaning, window washing, grounds work and remodeling!

On the Minnesota side anglers have been catching nice saugers, walleyes and perch. Soon the crappies should be finding their way into the shallows around Angle Inlet and other small creeks and the walleyes have spawned out over the past couple of weeks. With the warmer temps that started out last week anglers were finding fish in shallower water between 5-17 feet now, with the cooler temps, rain and winds most of the fish have been pushed deeper into the 16-26 foot range. Points and reefs close to large land masses adjacent to sand and rubble have been hot locations. Anglers have found fish near Soldier’s, Little Oak, Oak Island and NW Point. The water surface temp has been in that 50-55 degree range. Right now it seems like everything is working from ¼ to 3/8 jigs to slow trolling with raps in the shallows as well as trolling spinners keeping on the move at 0.9 mph.

Over in Ontario, the walleye, sauger, crappie, perch and pike have been hungry. Perch and crappie should be spawning soon. Crappies are being caught around the 20 foot mark . Sandy bays and points have been best for the walleye and crappie bite while the perch are still caught in the rocks. Many pike have been caught in areas with current. There have been reports of a lot of smallmouth mixed in with the walleyes.  Jigging with a ¼-3/8 ounce jig has been the ticket and the water temp has been around 49-52 degrees.

We hope to see you up here soon!
      Until next week, good luck fishing!
      Guides Dan Schmidt, Jeremy Glessing and Cale Albers
      Flag Island Resort
      218-223-8011

• monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      I know the lakes are open and that means some the first open water fishing spots are producing. Any one out there catching em yet? I will be riggin the ultra light up today so I can stop on my way home from work.  
    • monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      I know the lakes are open and that means some the first open water fishing spots are producing. Any one out there catching em yet? I will be riggin the ultra light up today so I can stop on my way home from work.  
    • Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      3.13.17 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

The snow pack has diminished and snowmobile trails on the the lake are icy. The forecast for this week is great for extending our ice fishing season.

On the Minnesota side, the number of perch have greatly increased with many 14 inchers being caught. Good sized saugers are being seen as well. The dead stick is still productive, rattlers and spoons used as attracting method in the sand or mud off of the rock structure.

Canadian fishing has been consistent, limits of crappies are being caught in 30-33ft with fine plastics that wiggle. Walleyes can be had easily near rock structure in 22-26 feet.

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge Ice Team

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      3.6.17 Sunset Lodge Fishing & Ice Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

Mid-week we are expecting temperatures in the teens and a few inches of snow which should help extend the hard water season!

On the Minnesota side, fishing has really picked up. The morning bite is strong up until the noon hour and picks back up again around 4pm. With the longer days, the evening bite is a little more consistent. Black and gold as well as pink and white have continued to produce the most fish. We are fishing more rock piles than in February and are having good luck at depths between 22 and 24 ft.

On the Canadian side, holes between 28 and 30 feet are a solid bet for crappies. Blue and white tungsten with a red mustache worm or wax worm have been very productive. We are seeing a lot more perch in our catch.

Still a couple weeks of great fishing left, come join us!

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge Ice Team

• Poutwhacker
      Just looking for general advice... Taking our grandson on his 1st Rainy Lake boat camping trip, 7/01-7/05. We'll be near Kempton Entrance on the east side. I've been here many times before, but never over the 4th. Plan to target all species, but want 'eyes for supper. Are the walleyes on the reefs yet or still transitioning? Depths? Leeches or minnows? Bass/pike still in shallows? Main goal is to give him some opportunities for some fish. Thanks 'Pout
    • Luttes
      Hay Creek in Red Wing is probably your closest option.  Otherwise the Kinni, Rush, etc, just over the boarder in Wi is a good fishery. 
    • paceman
      I was kind of restless last night so since it was a bit windy I decided to go for a quick trip to a nearby small lake that I rarely go to. Tried lindy rigging leeches but the sunfish were on the chomp! I eventually went to a shallow weed point and marked a bunch of fish. Started pitching small jigs/plastics and absolutely pounded the crappies. I have never in my life caught so many small ones. Lots of 5-7" with the occasional big one 13-14" mixed in... I did not feel like cleaning fish so tossed all back. Should be a phenomenal crappie lake in a couple years...
    • Cheers
    • leech~~
      Welcome Rachelkate21 to the forum.  "brooks/steams/rivers that would be full of trout?" That is a pretty high order around Lakeville or anywhere. You may have to go south of you around Whitewater or up north in the arrowhead area. Best bet is check out the MN DNR site for Trout streams and their locations within the state. Good Luck!
    • Sleder
      Wanderer ,I believe Ely seizure was something to do with the BWCA . Lots of articles in newspaper .Some law about no commercial activity ( an active viable fishery) in side of park unless it enhances park like canoe rentals ect.... They were trying to stop Fishery for last number of years. I believe DNR does not want to do away with Frozen Bait Market , they just don't want fish from the Great Lakes or other contaminated areas to bring diesese to inland lakes.  If fish does not have a VHS Certification Number on its package , I would not be using it for bait.  Grocery store stuff totally Illegal ...  I emailed a Bait Company that has VHS Certified Smelt and Alewifes   info@awesomeadventuresfisheries.com     They gave me a list of stores that carry their products ... Save hunting around for Legal Bait   Hope this Helps
    • Sushilicious
      We only fished for 5 hours (only 2 hours were worthwhile 29 ft).  
    • Sushilicious
      OK so day before father's day we had terrible weather. 1st spot was in 14 ft of current n we caught 4 eyes. Did c a sturgeon role but waste of time other than that. Next spot 6 eyes still a wasted time cause of the weather but the old man did caught a 20 in so it wasn't all that bad. But once the weather allowed we catch  26 eyes n in 29 ft of water n one was 24 in.
    • Sushilicious
      Definitely have 2 disagree with with u 2. I understand the drive n the worry but if you've fished the csn chain for 10+ years there shouldn't be a worry 2 find a campsite cause you've driven past plenty of them. Also we're in the same boat regardless of the travel distance to fine a campsite. Yes it is nice 2 have a guaranteed spot but since they went 2 paid 2 camp regulation they have taken out a number of campsites so it limits options. ALSO U R WAY WRONG ON SAYING MORE PPL R AT THE PARK NOW. I went last Saturday  (day before father's day) n we seen like 4 or 5 more boats than canoes. It's nice for ppl who don't know the csn chain but it's terrible for the economy.   Fyi. First time I went fishing on the chain I went lake trout fishing on David......... I was 6 weeks old ......... I'm 32 now..... my dad's been fishing the csn chain for 65+ years    P.s. love how there's less pressure=better fishing.
    • Rachelkate21
      Hey! Does anyone know any brooks/steams/rivers that would be full of trout? Preferably near lakeville, mn but ill travel!