• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

This weekend i am staying home from devils lake to fish the red from pembina to the two river mouth by jolliete. i have a few ddep holes marked from cat fishing this fall.

Ed i get a kick how all the attention is on fargo now. and you mentioned upper and centrel. I hope you remember there are alot of towns north of grand forks that have been putting up with this alot longer than fargo. The water stops at the canadian border. I lived out of a boat for 7 weeks last spring. And i believe a fargo diversion will just get it here faster. but we better not debate drainage of the red on a fishing report.

I agree, we need a basin wide answer and approach to the flooding problem. But when a metropolitan area hosts 2/3rds of the states population, it needs protection too.

The answer lays is in a wide ranging plan that will involve a lot of give and take from many land owners to slow the waters.

Alternative farming practices, instituting the Waffle Plan, basin holding contingencies as far west as Valley City and as far South as Sargent County.

There will be a lot of political horse trading to get any of it rolling to protect all of the Red from Border to Border and work with out Canadian friends as well.

Ripping up some drain tile and bringing back the scores of seasonal wetlands and prairie grasses gone since the days of the pioneer wouldn't hurt, either.

And i have to add that alot of homes in fargo moorehead close to the second bank or on it need to go. if the oxbow community is actully on a ox bow well you get the idea.

and as far as drainage i believe that is 99% of the problem.

Ripping up some drain tile and bringing back the scores of seasonal wetlands and prairie grasses gone since the days of the pioneer wouldn't hurt, either.

Bingo! Theres going to need to be a lot of cooperation for someting to ever happen. I personally don't think we'll see any progress in finding a solution any time soon. I thought it was funny that in one of the editions of the Forum there was an article talking about ways to help with the flooding and then a couple pages later there was an article about how more and more farmers are installing drain tile in their fields.

• 2 weeks later...

I have smoked gold eyes out of the red. they were pretty much mush I thought they would be similar to a tulibie but they werent

Just to keep us on track with fishing reports-- a buddy of mine fished the Red tonight and got shut out. He was about a mile downstream from a dam. Not much shakin' for him.

Anyone else have any river fishing reports to share?

went out friday. pulled up a little northern and a 16 in eye. the only 2 bites i got. was in about 4 ft in the slack water down stream of a dam (i know a dam! i know the area well and have a death wish) wont be much time on the river left, opening dams up stream and current is getting fast

• 1 month later...

Tried some jigging in the Wahpeton Headwaters area and found the walleye and suckers eager to nip at crawlers on lighter jigs. Smaller male walleye and pike were the most active pickers.

They will go from pick'n to pock'n as the sun and temps improve.

I tried minnows on jigs and crawlers and the crawlers pinched off on a jig did the trick for me.

Look for pockets of slack water tight to the shore, very tight to the shore. The fish are resting in these pockets and feeding opportunistically.

Should pick up quickly this week in the Wahpeton area for pike and walleye. Water levels are good and improving daily, as are the foretasted temps.

Orange, black, pink, and glow green jigs were best for me, along with black and blue jigs. Plastics were not producing yet for me.

Slow presentations are key, the water is cold yet and dark.

hey ed how the water levels down there? are the banks decent to get too? i guess i just pictured it as bad as it is in the fm area

Check the USGS Real Time Data for the Wahpeton area, that will give you a solid read on where it is at. Do a Google, it will pop up.

It fell fast there, and will be more fish-able soon from shore. The more sun the more fun in days ahead.

My best tip is concentrate on near shore holding areas, with jigs.

spent about 1 1/2 hours down there yesterday didnt come up with much, my pregnant wife was with so it was a short trip. maybe try today with the sun out. i'll let you know

Three of us fished in the Wahp area this weekend- dangerously slow for us. We caught one small walleye and one goldeye. It doesn't look good for me to get out in the next week or so, so that'll be my only report 'til after Easter. Good luck to all those who get out.

didnt get out till 5 ish tonight stayed till about 10, couple small wally's and some gold eye's. jigs seemed to be the ticket, my go to floating lindy's didnt get anyting but a couple bites and a couple chewed up minnows. should get better as the water slows down. cant wait till the fm area gets back into its banks. then its back too 3-4 nights a week fishing again

It will pick up as the sun shines guys. The volicity is slowing and the levels are ok and improving daily in the South.

It will be a long wait yet in the Fargo area as the Wild Rice is pumping lots of water in and the Sheyenne is doing the same to the North, and it is not slowing up much, and lots more water on the way yet from the Wild Rice. The combination of the two will keep it high here in Fargo for weeks yet.

Some of the ND tributaries of the Red River just to the North of Fargo may be worth exploring soon, they are slowing and fish will find them appealing to wonder up into. The Goose, The Elm....ect.

Let the sun shine and the jigs fly.

Crazy question, but is the Red between Whap and abercrombie boatable yet? I'm coming to the area this weekend and I'd like to hit the river if possible. Or should I just shore fish and forget about trailering the boat across the state?

Either or both is an option. There will be plenty of shore opportunities, but there might be plenty of fishermen there too. The boat will definitely let you get away from any crowd. ...but, if I were going I'd probably leave the boat behind and just shore fish.

Conditions will definitely allow a boat though.

The bottom. Jigs, rigs, and cranks are my go-tos this time of year. With really cold water, like we have now, I keep everything really slow and low.

Tried it yesterday on the Wild Rice and on the Red near Whapeton....preaty slow action overall. 2 walleye and a couple of carp, preaty fussy bite.

Will not complain as it was a good day to be out and about, and was very nice to get out and explore with the long rods. I expect it to improve greatly over the next week or so.

Anyone had a boat out on the Red this spring?

Would the Coast Guard have a problem with boating on the river?

They are boating at Whapeton now, from Kidder Recreation areas.

Walleye are starting to bite, still high yet, just jumped back up a foot but you can launch and fish.

None of the ramps are open in the Fargo area yet.

Catfish are starting to feed, cutbaits and crawlers are working on them in the shallows up in the tribs. Float rigs and bottom rigs are producing, depends on the location.

Walleye action is picking up as well. Locally the Sheyenne River has produced some eyes over the past few days. Floating jigs with minnows and crawlers are the baits of choice. Pitching jigs may pay off too in select areas in days ahead.

Expect slippery muddy conditions, bring them mud boots so you can swap shoes, bring the net.

Fishing has really picked up down South on the Red River Basin this past week.

Walleye, Crappie, and pike are biting on Lake Tewaukon, and reports of walleye and pike are being caught from the Tewaukon dam down the Wild Rice.

tewaukon%20map.gif

Talked to numerous anglers who have caught walleyes and/or pike from nearly every bridge they have tried down the system. Post Spawn recovery appears to be underway, and plenty of food around will mean fish on the feed.

Chasing fish on the ND Back roads, such as this, is where the NDTRAX chip comes in really handy guys. wink

• 2 weeks later...

Just looking to camp and fish for cats for 2-3 days sometime this summer and wondering if anyone would share some information:

Where would you recommend I camp? Is the area near Drayton, ND, a decent option? Other areas for relatively quiet camping (not looking for a family park or busy area). I would likely be on foot, fishing from shore, and tenting it.

If you could only target cats for three days a summer (and I know that is a terrible thought smile ) when would you go (what part of what month)?

Any other information you might share would be greatly appreciated. My Grandpa used to fish near Climax, MN, every year for a handful of days, and after seeing his pictures and hearing his stories, I have always wanted to make a Red River trip. I have fished the Red Lake River and have done okay, but I am looking for something a bit different. I guess if it makes the location advice easier, I just want a shot at a channel over 10 lbs.

Thanks in advance.