• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• 3 months later...

I've been out a few times in the last week with some success. Last Saturday was slow with only a couple walleyes found after trying a few spots. I made it out Wednesday and Yesterday and it was considerably better. I've been pitching jigs and a twister tail. I haven't caught a fish yet that looked like it had any eggs and none that have been milking so I'd guess they've done their thing already. Most of the fish have been in the 14-16 range with a few around 20 and the biggest at 26.

She's been rising a bit in Drayton, but not as high, and as quickly as I'd expected. Suppose that's a reflection of the river not quite back to normal after the spring thaw?

Anyway, thanks for the intell guys. That last link you posted poutpro, that there is a great source of info! Thanks!

I've been hearing good kitty reports around Fargo. Water is still high, so finding the lighter current/calm areas is key. Cut goldeyes and sucker steaks are the ticket, although frogs have been getting a few smaller whiskers. Also saw my first eye/sauger limit of the spring the other day. Chunkers. Wish this rain would quit for 30 minutes so I could get out there. "Mud" definitely is the name of the game...

"Mud" definitely is the name of the game...

This is very true. If I am in an area where there is mud and a good drop I make sure to wear a life jacket. I just about took a swim earlier this year. It's easy to forget how greasy this mud gets on your boots.

Absolutely- with the swift current and cold water temps huntnfish's approach is a good one! Better safe than sorry.

Hey guys, I've been living in Moorhead for a few years now and haven't tried fishing the river. I'm an avid "lake" fisherman but would like to try the mighty Red for some walleyes/sauger. Would any of you be willing to give some advice on where I could cast a few from shore? Preferably on the MN side and the closer to Moorhead the better. Thank you in advance.

The north dam is a popular spot. Its on 15th ave north in Moorhead east of the toll bridge. Last year they paved the parking area so it should be a little less muddy. I haven't fished it since the redid the parking area though. I normally just pitch a jig and minnow when I fish from shore but will use a crankbait once in a while also.

Thanks for the info hunt. Checked it out on Saturday afternoon and it is pretty nice down there. It was extremely muddy walking along the shore but if we can ever get a few days in a row without rain it should be ok. I'll be checking it out again in the future. Thanks again.

I live on the Fargo side from the north dam. Rubber boots are pretty much mandatory 90 percent of the year if you want to shorefish the Red.

Do yourself a favor and invest in bulk packages of jigs, hooks, sinkers and swivels. You will go through a LOT of them.

White is a good color choice, but so is chartreuse. Anything bright to shine through the murk.

You can have two lines on the Red, so set up one as a deadstick and use your other to pitch jigs or cast cranks.

Good luck!

Yep, good info above. Like Tyler said, the life of a river rat usually involves mud, boots, and wood ticks.

Regarding techniques, there's a time and a place for just about everything. However, the three main walleye techniques I've used with the most success are 1) slip rigs (basically big sinkered Lindy rigs), 2) jigs and plastics/minnows, and 3) crankbaits. Generally speaking, the lightest jig you can get away with is your best bet- it'll help keep you out of the snags. Longer stick baits with a wide wobble are best for crankbaits- shallow diving Ripsticks are my favorite. Cranks cast parallel to shore work very well at times. Some days they will out perform on numbers, but size is typically better from cranks.

As far as locations, look for anything that would make for classic spawning or false spawning locations- the confluence of a ditch, creek, or river with the main river you're fishing, dams, bottle necks in the river, etc.

Walleye fishing is good in the Spring and Fall (and at times in the Winter too). In the Summer the walleyes spread out throughout the system and are very tough to pattern. As Backwater Eddy used to say, "Here today, gone tomorrow" is the norm for walleyes once they leave their Spring locations.

The good news is that once they leave their Spring locations, the catfishing starts to get going. Cattin' on the Red is a beautiful thing! Be sure to give it a try if you're the least bit interested.

Good luck!

Thank you Tyler and Scoot. That is some great info. I definetely will be trying some of those techniques. Another question I have I guess is what is etiquette per se as far as finding spots to fish? I don't want to be trespassing or walking through areas where I shouldn't be to get to different places on the river to fish.

Excellent question bassman34. In ND, if it's not posted, it's perfectly legal to access the river. In MN, that's not the case. Regardless if which side of the river you're on, when in doubt, ask for permission (that's my motto anyway). No need to tick off people who don't want you there and it's never any fun having a negative interaction with a landowner who's mad at you for being there.

Especially for fishing, a lot of people seem to believe that if you're nice enough to ask, you'll be responsible and treat their land with respect. Some don't feel that way and given that it's their land, that's their perogative.

Just be careful, curtious, and ask when in doubt and you shouldn't have problems. Good luck!

I made it out both days on the river last weekend, which hasn't happened in a long time. I drug myself out of bed Saturday morning around 5 and hit the north dam and then another spot. For some reason I haven't had much luck at all at the North dam. I managed 2 little cigar walleyes and missed a couple other bites but that was it. I headed to the other spot and caught got 8 or 10 but they were all cookie cutter 11" fish. I did hook into about an 8 pound sheepshead that was got the blood pumping until I saw its tail. It was nice to get out and early in the morning its always quiet on the river.

Sunday I went out out on a tributary and caught a few more little Eye's but that was it. The bugs are starting to make their presence known so make sure to bring some bug spray if you head out.

You're not kidding about the bugs, Nate! They've gone from none to a boatload in very little time!

• 3 months later...

I hit the river last weekend for a few hours. Only tried a couple spots. I was hoping with the rain we've gotten recently that the walleyes would be hungry but it was pretty slow. Only caught a couple 14's. It was still nice to get out. Its getting to be that fun time when the bugs get killed off and the big girls are hungry. The river has come up some which should help the fall fishing.

Huntnfish - what method do you use on the Red River this time of year?

I can't speak specifically for the red, but with most any river around here in the fall a jig and plastic will work. A minnow will work too but you'll get colder hands from the minnow bucket water and the plastics will often perform just as well as these fish try to pack on a couple pounds before winter.

I suggest that you hit up current seams, probably near deeper holes that the walleyes will be wintering in. Look for the baitfish and you'll find the 'eyes.

There are three main methods that are effective this time of year: 1) jig/plastic (with or without a minnow), 2) soaking bait with a slip rig, and 3) crankbaits. On the Red you can use two lines- I usually use #2 above and either #1 or #3 on the other rod. Some days one works better than the rest. I used to laugh at crankbait usage on the Red- little did I know! Wide wobble baits like shallow running Reef Runners can kick the heck outta them when other methods are doing nothing. I prefer yellow/orange or dark top/light bottom colors.

Good luck!

I do basically what the last two said, although I rarely use a slip rig. That's mainly because I'm too lazy to get live bait. I normally use chartreuse or white twisters but I've started using cranks more in the last few years. I never dared use them until I watched Backwater Eddy catching fish on them when my jig was nothing. In the fall I like to use wide body white cranks.

• 3 weeks later...

I got out to fish for a little while after work yesterday. I love fishing the river this time of year especially when we get some rain like we've gotten in the last couple weeks. With all the run off I like to fish areas where there's water coming into the river. It was slow but I did end up with a couple. one was a stocky 15" and the other was the thickest 21" I've ever seen. The thing had to weigh over 3 pounds. It wasn't fat, just thick all the way through. It wasn't as fast and furious as I'd hoped but still fun to get out. Both fish hammered the jig and twister I was using. I'm hoping to get out again before the water recedes too far.

I got out again last Thursday. I had high hopes with the cool weather but no such luck. Only got one eye on the bank but did get bit off 3 times an missed a couple others. I haven't seen the great fall bite yet but there's still some time. Now is the time to get that trophy on the river. The few fish I've caught lately have all been very stocky fish. I'm still looking for that 30" on the end of my line. Its going to happen sooner or later.

• 2 months later...

Hey everybody,

I have been up in fargo for a few years now and have never been ice fishing on the Red. I started going to DL area but getting tired of driving so far and needing an entire day free just to get out on the ice. I want to get out on the red in the next few days when i get some time (probably this weekend). I have been trying to lookup what some approaches are since I have never fished a river in the winter. I keep seeing people talking about fishing where the wild rice river flows into the Red. I thought i might try around there but I was wondering how to get onto the river there and if there are any public access points close by. Otherwise I planned on going on at the 52nd access and looking for a nearby bend to drill some holes and see what luck I have.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 9 months later...

I finally got out for the first time last night on the river. I hit a few spots that are decent in the fall and found a few fish but nothing like I had hoped. I ended up getting 3 to shore and lost a few at shore. The biggest looked like probably 22 or so. All the fish were nice and fat and were caught on a jig and twister. Even with the slow fishing it was a beautiful night to be on the river. The temp was about perfect and no bugs at all. Even had a couple deer spotted and a nice big mink.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...

Many very nice cats being caught all up and down the Red River for the past several weeks with several over 20 lbs. caught.  Fish shallow near snags or at the mouths of incoming rivers and creeks and you'll have a lot of action.  Suckers are all you'll need for bait.  Use big suckers and fish them whole.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...

It took some convincing but the wife finally agreed to let me take Our 4 year old out last night for his first trip fishing the river (and my first time fishing this year). I went to a spot that had no drop down to the water and a nice level fishing area. My second cast I hooked one that he reeled in for his first walleye. I ended up with 1 other 17" in the 45 minutes we were out there. If he would've been a little quicker seeing his bobber down we may have even had a couple on the old Spider-Man rod. The weather was perfect and no bugs and him catching a fish made the night. By far the best trip I've had down to the river.