• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Rainy Lake Fishing Reports & Conditions

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

2020 Rainy Lake Fishing Reports - Click Here

Rainy Lake Fishing Reports by Capt John

Click the higher number on upper right of this post for more current Rainy Lake Fishing Reports.

Rainy Lake questions from members welcome in this thread too.

We where at American narrows today ,it was slow 1 eelpout,and 1 - 27" walleye.We moved around alot,all differant depths. We tried jigs,spoons,and everthing else.

They should start picking up again soon,they where there,the vexlar was active.

Good Luck

BB1

WOW...over 500 views and one fishing report...if you have had luck like mine i'd understand not posting anything. ive been fishing out of tilsons and not doing so good...tried 19ft down to 38 ft and got a 24 incher last night suspended 17ft off the bottom and that was it last night from 230 till 500. 7 fish in 3 times out...0 keepers...anybody doing any good??? even bad reports are better than no reports. i had been graphing some that werent biting before but last night the graph was not lighting up much...

Hey Chevy- Sounds like you were fishing around that 15' hump south of American Narrows where the road is plowed. Try getting away from the road and go a couple blocks Northwest and look for about 39' (just east of the 10') Also North towards that 11' just before it comes up in about 40'. The north side of the channel marker can also be deadly. Good Luck , Woody

HI Z-85,

WHEN THIS COLD WEATHER HITS US HARD, WE WANT TO TAKE THE EASIEST ROUTE & HOPE WE CATCH FISH, MEANING WE GO WHERE THE PLOWED ROAD GOES...THOSE FISH ARE HEARING CONSTANT TRAFFIC, VEHICLES, SNOWMACHINES & EXSISTING PERMANANT HOUSES. IF YOU HAVE THE CHIP, USE IT., LOOK FOR AREAS WHERE THERE IS A BREAKLINE, AND IT LEVELS OFF A LITTLE. THE BUNCH OF GUYS I HAVE BEEN FISHING WITH HAVE BEEN FISHING ONLY SANDBAY IN 22 TO 26 FEET & DONE VERY WELL, BUT SATURDAY IT REALLY HAD SLOWED DOWN, SO SUNDAY WE DECIDED TO TRY AMERICAN NARROWS, WE HAD 5 GUYS, 4 PORTABLES..AND BOMBED...3 WALLEYES & 1-TULLIBEE. BUT I WILL CHALK THAT UP TO JUST A POOR DAY TO FISH THE AREA WE WERE IN. RAINY IS SO VAST, AND THE AREAS YOU CAN FISH ARE ENDLESS, MY SUGGESTION IS GET AWAY FROM THE BEATEN PATH & YOU WILL FIND A HONEY HOLE, ITS JUST TOUGHER WHEN ITS 10 TO 50 BELOW.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

We fished at American Narrows today,kept 4 eaters,released a 28 and a 24 incher.We had to move around alot stayed mostly in the 32 to 38' depths. The eye's where real finicky had to change up alot,jigging spoons,raps,differant color jig heads,plain hooks.

There is alot of water to cover at the narrows,FM is right, get off the road, drill where no one else has.The fish are there just a bit more work to get them.

BB1

The last couple days our guests caught some quality fish mid 20's and everybody ate fish. The slush was not as big a factor and yesterday was down right pleasant although we got some unussually high gusts of wind in the late afternoon. On Rainy walleyes stay open till mid-April and pike never closes. We have some inexpensive yet quality fish house packages available. For those with their own gear and a Lakemaster chip Rainy is a portable paradise. Our deluxe lodging specials can't be beat. February, March and the first two weeks of April are by far and away the best and most pleasant times to ice fish on Rainy. Give us a call 866-410-5001 or email me at [email protected]. I look forward to hearing from you. Woody

Hey Woody! This is Chris Raisanen. You took my dad (John Raisanen), my bother, and i out fishing over labor day weekend this past year. My family wants to do a big fishing trip, but my brother and i have been so busy with hockey. Our hockey will get done with in late February and was looking for a trip. And since i just read about the walleye season being open until mid april up there i have been trying to convince my dad to go up to rainy again. Is the walleye season and crappie season still good up on rainy in march-april? Also don't you rent snowmobiles for familys that don't have one? Well i hope to hear back from you Woody because i had a fun time and would like to fish up there again!

Thanks, Chris

Chris- some of the very best ice fishing goes on during March and early April. It would be great to fish with you and your family again. Just give me a call and we'll set something up. Thanks, Woody

well all i have to say is this is a great site with information from the best sticks on the lake!!!

i have lived here only 10 months and ive had some of the best fishing in my life on this lake already and i wish i could say its cause of me...woody...fishmeister...bassbuster, and many many more have helped give me info to find fish and the right way to fish them. fishmeister told me where to go to catch crappies in the fall and sure enough they were right where he said they were..woody told me many spots to go and fish this winter and they have ALL been good and some amazing!

saturday i went where woody said they should be and it was a slugfest for about 3 hours...and yes...i got away from traffic!!! i had to squint to see the group of houses so figured that was far enough...27 fish..22 walleyes kept 8 and all about 14 to 17 inches..4 big ones...21.21.24.25 inchers and 5 bonus jumbo's! the next day we only caught 10 total kept 4 walleyes and 3 perch (close to a pound) we only fished for a half the day and didn't stay for the afternoon bite cause of the superbowl..

all the lakes in northern mn have alot of good fishing...but the quality of fish here is amazing! but if your looking for a SURE thing kind of trip you need to talk to one of these guys and they will get you dialed in...on the fish and a place to stay...oh yea..without the gouging on pricing!!

Thanks z85 , I agree this is a very good forum ,and I learn alot from it.I have started a blog on my website where I will post pictures and go into greater detail on the fishing and the techniques I used whether they worked or not on that day.Believe it or not we dont always catch fish (LOL)

BB1

HEY Z-85,

THAT WAS SOME NICE COMPLIMENTS, WE ALL APPRECIATE THEM, BUT AS BASSBUSTER SAID WE DO HAVE DOWN DAYS TOO, AFTER ALL WE ARE HUMAN. YOU HAVE ONLY TOUCHED THE ICEBERG, RAINY HAS UNLIMITED FISHING STRUCTURE, YOU WILL NEVER EVEN COME CLOSE TO FISHING ALL OF IT IN A LIFETIME!!! BUT YOUR RIGHT, MOST FOLKS DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE CROWN JEWEL WE HAVE HERE. FOLKS CAN BRAG ABOUT LEECH, MILLE LACS, LOW, RED...BECAUSE THEY HAVE ALL BEEN GREAT PRODUCERS FOR MANY YEARS...HOWEVER I WOULD NOT TRADE RAINY FOR ANY OF THEM., I LIKE THE WAY ONE DAY YOU CAN GO JUST POUND THEM IN ONE SPOT, YOU GO THERE THE NEXT DAY, SAME EXACT WEATHER, AND THEY ARE GONE., SO YOU NEED TO ADJUST. AFTER YOU FISH IT & LEARN IT, YOU WILL LEARN THE PATTERNS. NOT TO MANY LAKES YOU CAN FISH IN THE WINTER WHERE 8 TO 12 LB WALLEYES ARE COMMON. LAST SUNDAY,I WAS IN 40 FOOT OF WATER & CAUGHT A NICE LIMIT OF EYES, NO FISH IN THE SLOT & LOTS OF SMALL FISH, BUT THAT IS WHAT IS SO NEAT, ONE TIME YOU MIGHT GO OUT & CAN ONLY CATCH SLOT FISH, NEXT TIME A MIXTURE OF 6" TO 26" FISH, NEXT TIME YOU BOMB!!! I'M CLOSE TO MY 30TH YEAR FISHING RAINY, ITS CRAPPIE, WALLEYE, SAUGER, NORTHERN HAS NEVER BEEN BETTER!!!

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

Right On Z85- BB,Fishmeister,myself and many others agree on alot of things especially that Rainy is the best and most diverse portable ice fishery in the U.S. All you really need is a chip like the Lakemaster, your gear and a few pointers and your off to the races. Keep up the good work. Woody

A freind of mine got stuck pretty good on the east end. we'll get it out tommorrow but it will take some time. Theres plenty of great fishing from Dryweed west to Sandbay. I'll be guiding 5 this weekend and will give you a full report. Woody

I was out today ,we went east of Dryweed to stubbs shoal. We took sleds from American Narrows , Woody is right there was little slush till we got out to stubbs, there we found lots of slush in places you could get around but you need to be real careful and be prepared for the slush.Dont go alone ! The fishing was slow we did get a couple of slot fish and one eater.

BB 1

We fished last Fri and Sat out of our perm house in sandbay. Fishing was real slow. We took sleds out and fished a few of the main lake structures from Birch Point towards American Narrows. Fishing was slow every where for us. We hooked into a few big pike on the reefs in shallower and the few eyes we did get were in 31-40 ft. Lake travel was good Fri and Sat morn. After the warm weather and wind hit Sat afternoon, it really loosened the slush back up. It was a mess getting back to the perm house Sat evening in the slush and wind. Still great to be out and very peaceful. Rainy won this time, but we'll be back!

The last couple days our guests have caught a few nice fish not alot on the numbers side. Travel wasn't bad and nobody got stuck. Today we'll be trying some crappie fishing. Woody

Tried a new crappie spot today...got 5 the biggest was 11". A few perch a couple not so big pike. I will be hittin er some more this week. Sincerely Woody

Fishing this past sunday for big pike was awesome! 4 fish in 4 hours ranging between 38-and 42 inches. We had a beatutiful day on Rainy and I can honestly say it is some of the best ice fishing in North America. If you are looking to catch some great fish and learn the lake, hook up with Woody and watch for posting from him and Bill Landmark for the straight scoop!

Way to go BillyFinn! Those were some very nice pike. Should be some fantastic tip-up fishing from here on out. Woody

Drove out to American Narrows the road is flooded in spots,I did not have any trouble with the 4 wheel drive ,looks like you could get around pretty good with a sled.The snow has really melted. The fishing was good, 4 nice eaters,2 slot fish a 24 incher the biggest,and a 38 inch pike.lost a few and had a real good time .For more details check out my blog on my website.

BBl

• 2 weeks later...

The lake has froze up again.The slush seems to be gone.The fishing has picked up also.Walleye's have started to get active the past couple of days.We also are seeing some nice pike ,I lost a real big one at the hole yesterday.I will be going out tommorrow. I will post a report on my blog Monday nite.

BB1

Are you able to get around with a truck and how thick is the ice?

Would you be able to pull a wheeled house around off road,and one more ? just where would you get on to the lake at? Thanks

I have not seen alot of trucks venturing to far off the plowed roads, RAINY HAS CURRENT ! I would not be driving all over the lake.You could drive on at Tilsons creek. There is a plowed road out to some pretty good fishing spots you could pull your house out there.

BB1

Had an absolute blast fishing with the fellas from Olympic Steel yesterday. Lots of walleyes from 24" to 27" and no shortage of pike. It was a little windy but March madness has definately begun. Woody

Tip-up fishing is simply the best right now! If you want a shot at a 20 pound+ pike get on the bus Gus. Pike are staging around entrances to shallow bays in 10 to 25' in addition to shallow reefs. While you have your tip-up out, you can, in many cases just 10 or 15 yards away, jig for hog walleyes where it drops down on a ledge or flattens out. From now till mid-April theres going to be alot of dashing and diving for some fish that have more than normal vim and vigor! We are fairly booked up for the next four weekends (we have a few openings) but we have a fair amount of Mon-Tue-Wed space. If we are booked try the Falls Motel, Kelley will treat you right. Turn off the talking heads and load up the sleds, we're having a party. Woody

Sooo many variables there - cold, average or warm temps., sunny or cloudy, rain, snow or dry, etc. In a normal world maybe around April 29 but lows are forecasted in single digits for a couple nights a week from now and again 5 days after that.

• The title was changed to September Walleye Fishing - Rainy Lake, MN