• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Minnesota River Fishing Report

Do you guys know if the open water sections of the river are fishable at this time of the year. I am mostly interested in Catfish and Carp but not sure if it's worthwhile or not. I am definitely not gunna ice fish on the river though.

I've tried a couple times over the years. Not much luck, actually no luck at all.

But... doesn't mean that you can't get some action. If the weather is warm and you have a spot thats open.... as they say from the cheap seats....."GO FOR IT"

• 1 month later...

If anyone wants to catch some carp, just go about 50 yards up into the Chaska creek and fish with corn on the bottom. Its a bite a cast, but they are hard to hook.....

Carpfisher, was this today? I tried it on sunday at the creek mouth and i couldn't even manage a bite. Any bigguns?

No, I was there on Sunday. I actually think I may have talked to you in the parking lot...I had that black Toyota...I think you were driving a red chevy? Nope, no big ones, but they were biting pretty actively....

Looking for some carp action around Mankato, any ideas? Had a good time last year on the Blue Earth but have not had much luck w/the Minnesota.

nope wasn't me, i did see some other younger kids fishing down there though. I was driving the silver chevy. We left there after an hour because we werent having any luck so we went to carver. Im really busy now because of baseball, but i might be able to sneak down this weekend.

Oops my bad. Yeah when I was there on Sunday there were carp up in the creek. I couldn't see them but I kept bumping fish with my jig. I put on some corn and I would get a bite about every 5 minutes or so...but they were biting pretty short and difficult to hook. Good luck if you go down there.

Looking for some carp action around Mankato, any ideas? Had a good time last year on the Blue Earth but have not had much luck w/the Minnesota.

You can find big Carp just about anywhere on the Minnesota River in Mankato. Caught many in the 10-15 lb. range last year.

Is corn the bait of choice when looking for carp? I usually throw crawlers in hopes of getting channels too but if corn is better I would like to know.

I have always had good luck with corn but I like to spread out on a cookie sheet and put it in the over for a few minutes to dry it out a little, makes it stay on the hook better.

I have always had good luck with corn but I like to spread out on a cookie sheet and put it in the over for a few minutes to dry it out a little, makes it stay on the hook better.

hmmm, thats a really good idea.. I'll have to give that a shot

You don't want to bake it but just enough to make it tough also try adding a little vanilla extract to it before putting it in the over adds a nice sweet scent to it and a great snack if the fish are not biting

So carp will still readily take oatmeal this early? I'm going to the cannon in a couple weeks for the silver bass run...usually super thick with carp below the morristown dam, some as big as 20 pounds. Have snagged a few unintentionally, but never been able to land them. They'd be fun to catch.

I'll tell ya what a 20lb carp will give you a great work out. I got one last year that went close to 30lb and it was like a freight train in the river, took a good 30 minutes to land that one.

Do you guys think the carp are still up in the creeks with these cold temps or do you guys think they have moved back into the main channel? Thinkin about givin it a try today.

It starting to get really high. I was up on the hill this morning and it looked like it was up close to the banks. It looked a lot higher than last weekend and last weekend was about normal.

I'll tell ya what a 20lb carp will give you a great work out. I got one last year that went close to 30lb and it was like a freight train in the river, took a good 30 minutes to land that one.

back in the day I was fishin behind the court house in chaska for trout and dorsel fin hooked a 34lber and 1 hour later finnally got it to shore that was on of the best and greatest fight of a fish that I have ever caught ultra light rod and 4lb test.

corn was always our favorite bait when we fish below the water falls in jordan. mom used to hate it when she wanted to make corn for supper and it wasnt there it was usede for fishin carp...

• 3 weeks later...

I was wondering what the conditions are like in the black dog area? I am getting out later this week for the first time and was curious about river/launch conditions.

Launches will have mud.

Flow will be around 10,000 CFS Current 11,700

probably not much debris,

Current water temps around 53-54. If it gets as warm as predicted you could see temps climb a few degrees.

Level is continuing to drop, without rain it will be in the area of 692-691.

Conditions should be good to catch some fish in that area.

Thanks for the update guys....there should be some nice evenings to get out at the end of the week. Good luck on the water!

I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAD ANY INFO ON THE FISHING AND/OR WATER LEVELS BY CARVER OR JORDAN.I PLAN TO HIT IT FOR THE FIRST TIME THIS YEAR LATER IN THE WEEK.I WILL BE USING MY BOAT.

THANKS IN ADVANCE,AND REMEMBER,CATFISH AIN'T UGLY!

Ace...

Do you normally fish up by jordan all the time? You should be pulling data from the FT. Snelling point. Its a lot closer and accurate for the lower sections of the MN from shakopee down.

I normally go down to Jordan or Bella Plian with a trip to Black Dog in there sometimes. I like head south it's a more peace full down that way. If you looking to head down there give me a shout I would love to get out. This not beening able to drive is killing me. I just right off hwy13 behind the mall and Holiday.

Ace if I wasnt heading up to the rainy rivetr for some strugeon action this weekend I 'd pick you up maybe next week after work or that following weekend we could get out.