• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Boatfixer-i have spent the time on the lake and got lucky. Sometimes it helps to know the patterns on the lake you fish also.

Went crappie fishing today with a buddy from work. He hit this small lake with one of his buddies last weekend and did quite well. We fished from 12:30 to 4:30 then needed to be home with the family. We marked lots of fish throughout the afternoon. Perch and crappies. Our results were not great. Two keepers. Couldn't get them to commit. We did miss a bunch of little bites, may have been small perch but not sure. We were in 34 FOW.

I caught 6 big bass like this on wabana last weekend. I thought it was kinda weird I've never caught bass like that In the winter.

IMG_0958.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Nobody's been fishin' since Mid February or what!! Interested in what people have been finding on late ice.

Gettin a few sunnies on pokey- heard of some crappies being caught by the hot pond. I think those panfishermen are tight lipped - haven't really heard any reports. Im still chasin trout.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone had the boat out to look for some crappies? Made it out a few times- the boat still floats and i remember how it cast. Had acouple of meals of crappies but it seems they move out every time the wind blows. Don't want to know where your fishin - just want to find out if people are doing any good.

Fished yesterday with no luck - just two bass, one 20" that made a nice picture. We graphed what looked like crappies in about 13' but couldn't buy a bite from them. We should've tried a warmer lake or spent more time looking deep. There were no fish in shallow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been seeing more vehicles at the landing the last couple days so i would guess there are some fish being caught. Snowing today- does that cool the water enough to make the crappies move out to deeper water?

• 3 weeks later...

Grand Rapids, winnibigosh, leech lake fishing report

May,23, 2010

Opening weekend was a decent opener, warmer water and warm weather not too bad. We spent our opener on Cass Lake fish were in 10-17 ft of water and they were biting on a northland fireball jig with a shiner.

The next few days we were on Winnie and leech. Weather was a killer 80 degree’s and sunny with no wind. It was a tough go no matter where you were. Leech was ok in 15-17ft of water by leech lake camp ground and right out front of federal dam. We did find some fish in shallow water 7-8 ft and they bit pretty good at times. We were using a 1/8 oz northland gumball jig and a shiner. Nothing was fast and furious but we at least could pluck a few out now and then.

Winnie was ok also fish were in front of high banks, stoney and the rock pile. Most fish were in 15-17 ft of water again all scattered around. You go over a few fish and get a couple bites and then go awhile till you hit some more. Again nothing real constant but ok. Once the clouds and wind came up Friday and sat it started to turn on in the shallows. Then we were getting them in 8-9 ft again with a northland gumball and a shiner. I think this will hold true for awhile yet. So look for good fishing when you have clouds or wind if none of that just keep plucking away.

Good luck fishing

Jason Boser

Fishing Fever Guide Servic

fishingminnesota guide service

218-999-5591

• 3 weeks later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

This week was a week where we started to see the fish start moving toward deeper water.

Winnie there are still fish in the shallows around stoney, river channel and all along that north shore. There are also fish out on the humps and I think it will keep getting better out there. Naturally when fishing shallow you need a jig in the 1/8-1/16 oz range but if you go deep jump up to a 1/4 or 3/8 oz jig. We are still getting shiners but they are getting harder.

Leech is going pretty good I was out there a couple times this last week. We fished in the weeds and rocks. the rocks were good when the wind blew, the weeds were better with no wind. Jig and shiner were still king with the little 1/16 oz fireball working best in the shallow rocks.

I hit Bowstring one day also and it was decent. The landing was a bugger getting into but we did it and only got alittle wet. Most of our fish came out of the deep water 16- 20 ft. We were using 1/8 oz gumballs and a shiner but I did see some people catch them with a leech and lindy rig.

Good luck fishing and be safe

Jason Boser

fishing fever guide service

mnfishing pros guide service

• 3 weeks later...

Another good week of fishing. Fished Bowstring one day we did well. We got a few fish on the humps and bars, but most of our fish came from the weeds in the shallow water 6-7 ft of water. The water is pretty green right now and I think the fish will stay shallow for awhile. I was using a jig and minnow for the whole day there also, mostly a 1/8 oz gumball and shiner. Soon we should see the spinner bite get going out there with a leech or crawler.

Sand was a little tough we had a hard time getting the walleyes to bite. Every now and then we would get a few to go but it was tough. The ones we did get were in that 10-12 ft of water right on the edge of the weeds with a jig and minnow.

Good luck fishing

Jason Boser

• 3 weeks later...

Bass Lake has been producing some really big sunnies and some bonus slab crappies this past week. Slip bobber fishing with either a chunk of crawler or a leech has been the best producer for the sunnies. They seemed to have moved off of the shorelines and are hanging out on the sunken islands. A fair number of big slab crappies are being caught too, mixed in with the sunnies. Slow trolling a beetle spin over the tops of the weeds in the evening has been a pretty productive method of hanging a few big crappies. Walleye fishing is pretty much an early morning or late evening activity due to the crystal clear water but once in awhile the panfisherman are catching them and they tend to be running large.

• 4 weeks later...

It sure has been a hot summer. Seems a guy is sweating everyday out there. Fishing in this weather has remained fairly steady with some days being really good. I have been on Sand a couple days and we did good with a 1/8 oz northland gumball and a chub or a lindy and a leech. Sand has been different this year with the fish being a little bit everywhere. One minute on the weed edge the next way deep off the weed edge or sometimes on the deep humps. So you just have to move around to find the ones that are biting.

• 3 weeks later...

what a change 90's to mid 60's that is a change in weather. The good thing is the fishing hasn’t suffered to bad. I have been at Winnibigosh again this whole last week. The fishing has been great. I have been catching walleye's in the shallow rocks yet, 4-7 ft with a jig and minnow. This has been fun on some days you can see the fish down there rummaging around and cast right to them and you will catch them. when we have wind that does help out the fishing. without wind you can catch walleyes on the flats outside the weeds in the 10-12 ft with a spinner or a shad rap covering ground, or even the big bars on the south side of the lake with a lindy rig or spinner. The perch are starting to show up on the rocks also and even on the deep humps we are getting some nice perch. Its also time to start looking for the crappies they should start showing up in their fall haunts soon

good luck fishing

Jason Boser fishing fever guide service

fishingminnesota

218 999 5591

Fished Pokie on Saturday and Sunday for just a couple of hours each morning.

Saturday - pulled some suspending stick baits over humps, nothing. Trolled large tail dancers over schools of bait fish over deep water, nothing. Went to the weedline and pulled #9 shad raps over weeds @ 16-18 feet and caught 5 pike and 1 walleye in about an hour, then had to head in. Biggest pike was 32". Walleye was 19". All released.

Sunday - Hit the weedline again, managed two pike and nothing else.

Lots of fish on the graph at the weedline, I don't think the full moon helped my chances. But, the morning bite was the only time I could get out.

I'll be up again over labor day to hit it again.

• 4 weeks later...

Well this is it for me for fishing reports. I am done with my season and off to hunt and fish for myself. Fall is my favorite time of the year. It has been a good season fishing has been excellent for all species, the people with me fishing and asking questions have been great, thank you. Also if you all ever have questions through out the year do not hesitate to contact me and ask.

\Fishing this past week has been great the walleye have been doing their fall thing a good shallow bite. Winnie, cutfoot and sand have really been going strong. The fish seem to be in that 10-13 ft when there is no wind and shallower with a good wind. Jig and minnow have been the best but some times a crawler and lindy has been the ticket.

The crappies have been going full swing with most the fish going deep and suspended. Hoover over them and get them to bite with a little 1/8 or 1/16 oz fireball and a chub.

Sunnies have been deep suspended with the crappies or on the edge of the weeds in the 10-12 ft of water. A small jig with a crawler or a maggot on the hook should get them going.

Good luck fishing and thank you for following my reports

Jason Boser

218-999-3391

• 2 weeks later...

Fall fishing is officially underway. We banged the deep-water walleyes and crappies last weekend. Surface water temps are currently in the mid-50's but dropping fast with the cool nighttime temps.

The hot fall crappie bite is on up at Cut Foot. A buddy and I got 30 or more the other day and some are true slabs up to about 15 inches. We had to fish in deep water, over 25 feet deep, in McAvity Bay. Some of the fish we released seem to have a tough time swimming down. Does anywhen know of a way to get them to go down?

When fishing deep crappies, I find that if you gently squeeze them a bit to release some of the air, and point them into the water upon releasing them, they go back down. I use this method when ice fishing and find closing the mouth seems to help as well. Also, reel them up slowly.

However, on some lakes, I prepare myself to keep the first 10 crappies I catch, no matter the size, because of them being almost "un-releasabe." Otherwise you'll see fish floating everywhere. The eagles and ospreys just love this.

Catch 10 fish and go home if you have trouble in getting them to go back down. No matter how much fun it is. It's hard to do, I know. Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for the info. Next time I will just catch my 10 and then go after some monster bluegill in Little Cutfoot. They tend to be in shallower water so no problems with catching and releasing them.

JoeMag ~ I re-read my post and didn't like how it sounded. Didn't mean to sound so crass (my last comment about catching 10 and going home) but that's what I do and boy do I take home some dink fish when doing this. I mainly do this when ice fishing deeper water.

Your right though about going after some shallower fish. That's always a good, smart option. I've done this a lot, mainly because of a problem in getting the fish to get back down where they belong. And yes, Little Cutfoot does have some good ones.

Sincere apologies and good luck.........GC

• 2 weeks later...

Fished Wabana this weekend. Water temps between 59-63. Only fish came during low light levels (early AM, evening, or some chop). Unfortunately, weather was too good durning the day: clear skies and flat water. Friday evening we got up in some reeds and popped an 18"er on a spinnerbait. Later on I got a 23" fish on a Zara Spook. Oh yeah, those were both Walleye!!! We caught more Walleye in the rushes than bass!! It was weird. Zipped over to Bluewater for about an hour Saturday afternoon and got one nice SMB and a small LMB. A few nice SMB on Wabana too along with a number of LMB. Yes, we let the SMB go right away. Not even measurements.

• 1 month later...

Fished a small, "back-in-the-bush" lake today for my first official ice trip of the season. Ice was 4" near shore but thinned out to the point where we couldn't get to "the spot". We were fortunate enough to catch a few nice panfish though. My first hard-water crappie of the season. full-130-3962-dscf3479.jpg

Blake Liend with a nice gill.

full-130-3963-dscf3486.jpg

Blake Liend and I fished another small lake this morning, back in the bush. I took the snowmobile and was surprised at the lack of ice, which was only 4". I'm glad it was HOT fishing because the weather was COLD because of the strong northern winds. Blake and I only took a couple pics because of the cold temps. Here they are.

full-130-4193-dscf3502.jpg

full-130-4194-dscf3504.jpg

full-130-4195-dscf3507.jpg

Yes Chad, I wanted to fish some of my local water before I headed to other parts. As you can see, it wasn't too bad of a call. Only ones out there.

My plans changed due to a head and chest cold. R and R this weekend and I will give her heck next week. We need to hook up and fish.

Sniffer