• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

This is the place for fishing reports. Please help out and post your fishing reports for the Grand Rapids area here.

Everyone is welcome to post here and please keep it to a fishing report or request for fishing report information. It could turn into a nice thread you have a hand in.

Been on Pokie and it is slow. Or should i say, a guy would have to catch a fish for it to be slow. Some people are gettin a few now and then but its that time of the year to downsize and slow down the presentation.-Still have slush comin up in different spots, sometimes deep, sometimes not.

Lake Trout Report-Fished bluewater last sat with my wife brother and son , again fished shallow ,20 to 30ft where a weedline runs along a bullrush stretch of shorline and ive caught some big lakers coming up to feed on perch had one brick show up on my flasher but wasnt very agressive but i assume the way it came up off the bottom and followed my tube jig up and down i assume it was a decent laker...other than that it was pretty uneventful except for the truck that we too seen pulling a 15 to 20 ft retractable out!!! what were these buffoons thinking!! not only was that very ignorant it makes the ice less safe for the rest of us!! there WAS NOT enuf ice to safely drive a full size pickup truck and fish house out there. also i did not appriciate how close they drove to where my 8yr old son and his 7 yr old cousin were playing on the ice , some people need to wake up , wipe that cocky smirk off their faces and pull their heads out of their @$$es cause they definatly werent thinking!!!

Thank You,

Lee Lane

also on the ice out there we found as much as 13 inches with maybe 8 or 9 being good ice but was shocked to punch a couple holes closer to shore that had less than 6inches that turned into a geyser as soon as i pulled my auger out so them people in the truck should really be careful!

Lake Trout Report-I hit Kremer today for 2 hours and no action whatsoever. I then went to Bluewater and gave that 2 hours and no luck there either. Very disappointing for my first trout outing of the season. Where I fished on both lakes it looks like the slush froze up and there's about 4-6" of snow on top of the it. I bet I could've used my 4 wheeler on Bluewater today.

Brian

Lake Trout Report-With the onset of more cold weather I fished Caribou on thursday , one small laker was all I could accomplish during 5 hours of fishing! I targeted the 45ft depth on a steep edge of a hump , lots of lookers but any agressive jigging sent them packing for depths unknown. Later in the afternoon I moved up to the 20ft depth where lakers seem to slide up during evening hrs or on overcast days , where as burntside lakers seem to shut down more during that last hr of light , hopefully this cold weather freezes up a little more of that slush thats all i can say. here are a few pictures ill share of my biggest laker I caught Last year while I dream of big Lakers during this time of little action for me.

Lee I look forward to your future musky and laker reports. Seems to be the only 2 fish I go after anymore. Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

sweet..... i dont give many muskie reports..seems theese days everyone wants to be the tv star...me i just wanna catch big muskies. i remember when people were laughing at me cuz i said i was going to be a muskie guide , now ive have three 1st place tourney wins under my belt as well as MMt angler of the yr title dont mean jack! i just want to catch big muskies and ice fish 4 lakers everyone elese can scuffle over whos the best!!

look me up if you ever want to go icefishin 4 lakerz

lake trout report....poor econemy,nagging wife might as well go lake trout fishing !!! been hitting burntside and snowbank up in ely because these lakes in itasca county are a joke. a few big fish but they cater to the pokegma and winnie walleye...LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME! id rather fish something that i actually think is fun to catch and it aint no perch from winnie.

the lakers seem to be on a morning bite up there but its that way alot. fish shallow early 20 to 30 ft then move deeper after say noon and switch from a tube to an airplane jig onece u get to deeper water a few fish but no 20lbers yet

Lee, your right laker fishing around the rapids is getting a little boring,but still something to do i guess,how often do you head up to ely,i'd be interested if your looking for someone to fish with, i have the winter off so any day good for me

I was on Bass Lake by Cohasset yesterday afternoon. It was a tough bite and I only iced a few. 1 9.5" gill, 1 8.5" seed, half a dozen 11-12" perch, a small lmb, and a small gator. Lots of gills came in to take a look, but wouldn't bite.

There was ALOT of water on the road out from the SW access off of the Pincherry Road. If I had a permanent house out there, I'd be thinking about getting it off the lake as the road will probably only get worse.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Viszla, Laker fishing is so hurtin in the grand rapids area that we would rather get up at 4am drive from effie to togo and meet my brother at his house then make the hour drive to snowbank or burntside opposed to fishing for one of the only 13 brood stock lakers that swim in bluewater or the pit! if your into catching little shakers i guess its alright but id rather catch big fish and big fish we have been catching up there with 5 fish 30 inches for me last weekend and a 36 incher for my brother that would have went 20lbs if it wasnt so skinny. anyway i atleast see them super fat bands that look like haleys comet on my flasher so i know they are there and willing to follow my offerings up and down the water column. i could throw my transducer in my empty minnow pail and have the same action as around here its been that bad cant even see a fish! i fished caribou for an hr tonight cuz its only 15 minutes from where i am and im fishing bluewater tomorrow why the wife goes to town and get her hair done eek

im not for sure what day im headed back up there but it will be soon i work thurs and sat so it wont be either of them days but im up for most other days as trout fishing will be over soon unless u want to pay a dog sled team to mush your way back to knife lake. i can be reached at 218-743-6365 if you want to set it up.

Lee Lane

Lee Lane,

I will be fishing Snowbank the first weekend in march for lakers. Any tips or suggestions on where to try. I heard there is an area on the lake that you can't drive on. do you know if its worth hiking into that area? any help would be great. kind of a newbie to trout fishing. Are the mmt tournaments fun to fish in. I'm thinking bout getting in to one this coming season maybe.

I went up by marcell crappie hunting, never saw a fish on the vexilar. Worst day of fishing I've ever had, the old man and fished 2 lakes and used 4 minnows.

A buddy and I were out yesterday from about 9:30 till 5:30. We caught a ton of bluegills and crappies. Best luck was in 8' of water, fishing about 3 to 4 feet below the bottom of the ice. I kept 10 nice gills, including a 12oz pumpkin seed and 5 nice crappies in the 9-11" range. Fishing a pretty clear lake and the bite shut down in the evening when the crowds showed up.

No luck involved glenn, all skill! Yeah right! laugh I love the looks on the faces of the guys that come out in the evening when I'm packing up and headed home.....priceless. Took my brother and dad out today to a different spot that I caught some nice crappies at a couple weeks ago. The bigger crappies were MIA, but we did catch a ton of little ones. We ended up keeping 2 nice gills and 4 decent crappies.

Hoping to make it out Friday during the day, still in search of a 10" + gill for the wall.

Brian

turn on the A/C units fans etc its gettin warm out. need ice to drive on and i cant get up there till the 21rst. crycrysmirkgrinwinkwink yea them banker hours you got makes it easy to be headed home when most people are just headed out. smirkcrazy J/K. wouldnt want your schedule anymore. noticed that to the last time up the crappies were tiny compared to prvious outings and mind ya the crappies arent that big on our lake to begin with. i got my 10 inch gill last fall and it sure is pretty hangin on my wall here. smirkgrinwhistle good luck fishin.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ice still strong here on a 250 acre lake in northern itasca county. Panfish are biting in 12-20 feet on weedy down slope's. Be careful around lake edges. Next week looks warm. which is good, cause I need to get the Dock in.

• 3 weeks later...

Got a call yesterday and today from a relative. Seined 700 smelt Sunday night and 2700 smelt Monday night(yes they count them). It is all happening after 10:45 pm. Dont ask where, I value my life.

Got a call yesterday and today from a relative. Seined 700 smelt Sunday night and 2700 smelt Monday night(yes they count them). It is all happening after 10:45 pm. Dont ask where, I value my life.

Grand Rapids area...or Duluth/Ely/BWCA area...since you have posted similar Info and Same numbers over there...

• 3 weeks later...

Any reports on Trout Lake near colerain. Last year I caught a 28 inch walleye on the lake. Wondering if the fish are in shallow on Trout lake this time of year.

Any reports on Trout Lake near colerain. I caught a 28in walleye last year on the lake. wondering if anyone has fished it yet this year?

I haven't heard anything about Trout yet. With the cold water temps, give it a week or two and it should be a good bite out there.

Brian