• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2020 Detroit Lakes-Pelican Rapids Fishing Reports - Lake Conditions

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

2020 Detroit Lakes-Pelican Rapids Fishing Reports - Click Here.

Click Above for 2020 Fishing Reports↑↑↑↑

2009 - 2020 Detroit Lakes - Pelican Rapids Fishing Reports are below ↓↓↓↓ (Over 70 pages of 25 posts per page).

Go ahead and post fishing reports and conditions in this thread.

Lot's of good info below already. Newer Reports are on pages that follow.

Be sure to give back and share your fishing reports here as well.

Thanks.

South Twin has a decent crappie bite going, some nights are decent some nights are dead. Try to find 18-22 fow and throw the arsenal at them. I've been having luck on waxworms or small small crappie minnows. There have been a lot of people fishing out there and not doing so well. But I just think they don't know what they are doing. HAHA. I've been haveing some 20+ fish nights with more than half of them going back into the drink. I like to keep 11"ers and anything bigger or smaller than that usually go back. I've spilled the beans, hopefully someone else has a tip from there lake.

During the summer months I drive by some of these small ponds and wonder if there is fish in them. So, I tried one of them on Saturday.

Just on the south side of 34 just east past the turn north on 32 towards Rollag I tried a small lake on the map labeled Ranum. Others I have talked to have refered to it as the "Buffalo Pond" since the house next to the lake had bison in their fields at one time. Found it to be about 13-14 feet deep in the 4 spots where I fished.

Rumours had it there were walleye in there but I caught a few small bass and many many many small pike 10-14 inches and most parasite covered (black spots). Did see one about 30 inches or so eyeing my minnow only 5 feet under the ice. Of course she nipped at it and wouldn't take it. Never would have known she was there if I hadn't the Vex on. Clarity allowed me to see to the bottom in 14 feet.

It was fun to try something new. Didn't keep anything but we caught fish. Don't be afraid to try the small ponds that look like nothing would be in them. You just never know...

Finally got out for only the second time this winter. Went to Lizzie. Hard to find a spot since the road is so narrow you really don't want to stop and block it. Caught a little bit of everything except crappies and walleyes. Even caught a tulibee. Fished 26-27 feet of water with shiners and crappie minnow heads on a cicada. I might have been better off trying to find a new job, but with few nice days I couldn't resist and I have until late March before this job goes away.

Good luck I hope you find the right job. Out on south lida last week and it was slow, would have liked to try my normal spots but to much snow to get to them. One 15" eye and a buch of small perch.

Skitterpop what day and time were you out there? I drove by later Saturday afternoon and saw a portable out there. At like 4 o clock

If it was a blue small clam with an orange sled and a green sled then that was me. We packed it up about 4ish so you must have seen us leaving or getting ready to leave. Nobody else was on the lake but myself and my friend. Again this was Saturday the 17th. I think most who saw us as they drove by probably wondered why a house was out there.

I am almost tempted to try it one more time but the snow is horrible on the lake. Maybe fishing after dark would be good since the water clarity was super clear.

I am surprised over 1100 views have hit this dead thread. I didn't know Ranum Lake was so popular grin. Anyone else going to chime in with info on the local bite? I wonder how many more views this will get since this thread is now updated.

Skitter,

I just got in off DL and my son and I did well with the gills(4:30-7:00). We managed to bring home 10 and a bonus crappie. None of the gills were bulls but they all measured between 7.5" and 8.5". My son (10) out fished me 3 to 1. He was using waxies and a pimple, I was using gulp waxies(pink and red)with a Genz bug knock-off. We hung around until 7:00 trying to coax more crappies but not a bite. I had fish on my graph off and on and they came up to the bait but wouldn't bite. The last 45min I was using a pink or a black ratso tipped with a waxie.

Like I said, we set no records tonight but they sure did taste good. Buy the way we sorted through about 45-50 fish to take home what we did.

Went to Elbow Lake (Becker Co) on Sunday & Wednesday. Only the snakes were biting and the ones we caught had parasites (LOTS of black spots!!) Saw a couple of walleye on the camera but no matter what we used to coax them to bite, just didn't want anything to do with what we offered. Snow is thick on the lake. Only way out is with a snowmobile. Watch for a slush spot on the south end in the middle of the lake.

This is a spot I would like someone to try pleassee. It is called lime lake and it is west of lake park about 3 miles on hwy 10 then you turn north on a gravel road and go about half mile and it will be on your right the road comes right up to it it is road right of way. You can see this lake from hwy ten it is behind a farm that does pontoon storage.. I trapped beaver in this lake last spring and there were alot of fish stuck in the rushes on the other side of the road where a culvert drained out. There were huge bass very large sunfish, crappies and giant perch 10 to 12 inches long. and walleyes 15 to 18 inches long and a few suckers, but there were no northerns. I fished it when we had first ice this winter about 4 or 5 inches. I used crappie minnows and just a plain red hook. I didn't have any bites but I had a vexilar and I was graphing some fish about a foot off the bottom. I would see them rise to my bait and my minnow would go crazy and then they would sink back to the bottom and disapear after a minute or so. I know I graphed fish and I know what fish were floating there dead that spring. I lost my license due to a DWI so i can't get out and fish. Could someone please give this lake a try and let me know how they do. I'm sure it is gonna turn out to be one of those honey holes that not many people know about. I have trapped this lake for many years and never saw a fish house on it ever. The only reason I saw these fish was due to my late spring beaver trapping.

I'm up for a venture maybe try on Mon. All the lakes I have been fishing have not been produceing any ways. I got time to just sit on the ice and wonder is there any thing there? How big is the pond? When I lived in SD there was alot of ponds that people just happen to come across where there were fish and no one knew about. And boy was there some nice fish in alot of those ponds.

Bak2MN - Where are you from in SD? I lived in Brookings for

8 years and Pierre for 11. Those ponds here and there grow

some huge pannies and bass.

I lived in Brandon for 12 years. Im originally from Red Lake Falls. My wife is from DL. Alot of the ponds I hit down there were huge perch.

I wasn't going to mention it to any one about this lake but I don't know when I will make it out there to try it again. And I am thinking I should have kept it to myself but I would like someone to try it and please be honest and let me know how you do out there. The lake was about 3 or 4 hundred yards long and it was 11 feet where I was fishing. according to the dnr it's only ten ft deep but my vexilar said 11. Good luck anyone who trys this lake. I give you my word these fish I described earlier were in this lake I have a video of it on my old phone I will try and get the memory card out and see if I can put it in my photo bucket account for you all to see.

If it did have fish in it, it wont anymore!!! Sounds like one of them ponds that will be fished out cause someone posted it on the internet!!!

You guys are right it probably doesn't. In fact I made the whole thing up just to see what everyone would say. Sorry.

HAHA!!!!! That's awesome. And i can't believe how many darn packer fans there are around here. Go fish in Wisconsin man wink

Them ponds can go from boom to bust, but u got me curious on a Friday. With the strong winds supposedly coming tomorrow afternoon i'm going to head out in the AM, hope i get a few or i will wish i went and tried Lime. lol

Quote:
Go fish in Wisconsin man

As long as we are acting like 2 year olds, maybe you should go fish in Wisconsion man....

Report:

Crappies and sunnies are still biting on Little D, Big D, and Deadshot but the walleyes have gone missing.